Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A380 - too big? too expensive? Or worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380 - too big? too expensive? Or worth it?

What are your observations/opinions on the A380?

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...-passenger-jet

(the airline has a no-sex policy)
    Was that really necessary?

The economic downturn has a major factor in this. I also think it needs more time to prove itself. Airbus have plenty of orders to be getting on with. As more aircraft get delivered the more popular i will get

Comment

Originally posted by oxymoron1984 View Post
      What are your observations/opinions on the A380?
      I like flying on the big bird, it is quieter than other planes, more room for the daily jog.

I do only travel J class or above, would not be so great in economy, but a lease you can get premium economy seats for a bit more room.

(the airline has a no-sex policy)
      I would like to point out this only goes for the airline not the crew.

Comment

i think it really depends on the decor that airlines put on the A380. For majority of Y pax, its nothing more than an ever crowded bus which is fine if you are afraid of being alone.

The only airline that has added comfort due to the A380 is probably Emirates with their fanciful showers, in seat bars and stand up bar area and maybe Qantas due to the sofa for Business pax.

Comment

People tend to complain about stuff like: Oh I hate the A320, or I hate the 777 or whatever without actually realising that configurations are entirely dependent on what the particular carrier puts in.

I'd rather fly a Fokker F27 with only 1 passenger seat (mine ), going longhaul with refuelling stops rather than an A380 flown by Air Austral.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            People tend to complain about stuff like: Oh I hate the A320, or I hate the 777 or whatever without actually realising that configurations are entirely dependent on what the particular carrier puts in.

I'd rather fly a Fokker F27 with only 1 passenger seat (mine ), going longhaul with refuelling stops rather than an A380 flown by Air Austral.
            I sugggest you better upgrade your F27 to ATR 42 so that when you fina

ly reach your destination and disembark you wont have a hunchback.(Can you stand up straight in a F27?)

Comment

Boeing believes in more point to point flights and hence will not build a new 744 successor

Comment

When Boeing launched the 747 about 40 years ago everyone was also thinking that it was too big. 40 years later, it just got bigger

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                  Boeing believes in more point to point flights and hence will not build a new 744 successor
                  Err, they are building a the B748i which is a 744 successor.

In my opinion, the A380 is an a/c which can earn immense amount of money for airlines that have the traffic to sustain their operation. AFAIK, they are a cash cow, no pun intended, for SQ running almost full loads on almost all its destinations. It costs marginally more to operate an A380 over B744, but the returns are many times more, provided the load is good. That's the reason why EK is increasing their A380 orders.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                    It costs marginally more to operate an A380 over B744.
                    The cost for running a A380 are lower than the B744, on a head for head ratio, even with 80% load.

The A380 is 35% bigger than a 747 but the running cost is 15% to 20% lower.
                    Last edited by Singapore Sling; 21 June 2010, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I personally think that there will always be a slight demand for jumbo planes like Boeing 747-8s or A380s, as there are still some major airports that are strained in terms of slots.

London Heathrow - its third runway is just not going to happen anytime soon, and even with a third runway, slots will remain an issues. It is no surprise that LHR gets many A380s.

Tokyo Narita - another tricky airport when it comes to slots. Even Tokyo Haneda will face the same issues.

JFK - need I say more? JFK is so congested during the evening hours that A380s will be perfect for some of the routes like JFK to LHR (almost like an hourly departure.

A380s definitely has its role, and Boeing is right about airlines wanting to fly more point to point long haul route, but at the same time, there will always be airports like LHR, JFK, NRT, HKG, FRA, CDG, and HKG that are congested and airlines have issues getting slots. Like HKG to LHR, BA can easily consolidates three 747s into two A380s, and BA can use that extra slot on a regional route. JFK to LHR is another trunk route that can use A380s.

Carfield

Comment

Beoing's 748i is only a derivative of the 744 with modifications to the wing design but still essentially a 744 still without any FBW.
                        Boeing at one time have envisage building a completely new double-decker replacement for its 744 but didnt bec it changes its mind and believe in more direct point-to-point flights.

Comment

post deleted
                          Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                            Worth it? Absolutely. I'll be placing my own order soon

[now let me look for that 300 million I left lying around somewhere ....]
                            Buy a 2nd hand one, it will be a lot cheaper.

Comment

MAS on 21 Jun has made an anoouncement that they are officially now looking into the possibility of cancelling their 6 A380s order due to "frequent delays" in getting the planes.

Comment

Working...
                              X