Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vietnam Airlines Joins Skyteam (Scaryteam for KeithMEL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
    The Big Question is: What new routes does VN open up for those of us in ST?

VN may now be the BD of SkyTeam: Just 50,000 miles to SkyTeamElite Plus. I haven't figured out whether fare requirements make that impracticable.
    Another question that's being asked is whether it will open up better award availability.

This is the first time I've seen their levels listed. I don't like their choice of metals (confusing to have gold as lowest tier, there should be some consistency within alliances at least) and I'm shocked at the low requirements for SkyTeam Elite Plus as well as the generous bonuses for "elites" flying very few miles.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Actually, if you take off the USA-tinted spectacles , they offer quite a bit for those in other parts of the world like Europe and Australia, mainly one stop kangaroo routes from CDG (which is what AF will be interested in) and FRA to SYD and MEL. They are also supposed to be closer to getting their wish of flights to London, apparently waiting for slots at LHR to be donated/offered from another ST member.

In addition to this, they also offer a decent S.E. Asia network (they even fly to Busan !!) for European ST members who don't fly KL. This is the first ST member in the thick of the action around BKK/SIN etc. ICN/KE are too far out for Europeans to offer any meaningful network around there.

I agree with those who bemoan MH not being in there, but there seems to be no sign of a thawing in the relationship between them and AF (who have been against them joining) any time soon.

I am currently VN Silver so presumably will now become ST Silver. Is that worth anything ?.
    IIRC DL serves NRT-Busan, starting from the end of the NW era; I think it's been a 757, which probably means a bus gate at NRT most days. Also, surely KE has some Busan flights to major Asian airports.

Why should Europeans avoid KLM except for their short-haul intra-EU flights? Another choice for Europeans is the AF CDG-NRT followed by DL (old NW) connections within Asia. SkyTeam has some nice lounges at NRT.

I'm not sure I want to fly them and I'm sorry that we don't have the MH network choices.

Comment

I guess I found my new FPP for ST .

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
      Why should Europeans avoid KLM except for their short-haul intra-EU flights?
      Their C product is appalling, the only thing which is remotely good is the food. However, nothing compared to the SQ catering ex-LHR or BTC, for example. 2-3-2 in C on their 77W, so you even have chance of ending up in the middle seat in C .
      Another choice for Europeans is the AF CDG-NRT followed by DL (old NW) connections within Asia.
      AF is even worse - probably the rudest cabin crew around the globe.

Comment

confusing to have gold as lowest tier, there should be some consistency within alliances at least
        It's great when you status match and (as has happened in the past) an airline matches based on colour alone!

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
        AF is even worse - probably the rudest cabin crew around the globe.
        My experience has only been around ten domestic AF flights but the cabin crew have all been absolutely charming. YMMV.

Comment

You've heard of VN status-matching *G, jhm?

Comment

IIRC DL serves NRT-Busan, starting from the end of the NW era; I think it's been a 757, which probably means a bus gate at NRT most days. Also, surely KE has some Busan flights to major Asian airports.
            Busan was only mentioned as there it has long bee a running joke/sore on here of how difficult it was to get too. That's why I mentioned VN fly there as well of lots of other local places in S.E Asia in heavy demand. ScaryTeam have had a very big hole in their Asian network for a long time, VN will fill some of that.

Why should Europeans avoid KLM except for their short-haul intra-EU flights?
            Because they're crap, and I say this as an ex KL FD Plat of a number of years. I do love Schiphol though to be fair.

Another choice for Europeans is the AF CDG-NRT followed by DL (old NW) connections within Asia. SkyTeam has some nice lounges at NRT.
            I don't think you'll find many European wanting to fly via NRT to S.E. Asia to be honest, as nice as the lounges are..

I'm not sure I want to fly them and I'm sorry that we don't have the MH network choices.
            It' silly bordering on farcical that MH are not in ScaryTeam. Some people need their heads banging together.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              Busan was only mentioned as there it has long bee a running joke/sore on here of how difficult it was to get too. That's why I mentioned VN fly there as well of lots of other local places in S.E Asia in heavy demand. ScaryTeam have had a very big hole in their Asian network for a long time, VN will fill some of that.

Because they're crap, and I say this as an ex KL FD Plat of a number of years. I do love Schiphol though to be fair.

I don't think you'll find many European wanting to fly via NRT to S.E. Asia to be honest, as nice as the lounges are..

It' silly bordering on farcical that MH are not in ScaryTeam. Some people need their heads banging together.
              1. To me, the bigger hole is New Zealand and most of Australia. I don't fly LCCs.

2. If a European does SkyTeam, chances are that they do fly KLM and/or AF. AZ is much much worse in every way. Also, the Dutch seem to like KLM service, food, and wine selections. Similarly, some of the French like AF, perhaps because they speak French.

3. Not necessarily to Southeast Asia; KLM and AF have nonstops from AMS and CDG to major airports. However, for Inchon or Pusan, NRT would make sense. For other airports in Japan, the trick is to avoid having to change airports at Tokyo, so the once-a-day flights to KIX, NGO, etc. on DL make sense for connections.

4. DL has already shown that it doesn't play well with other airlines. NW did well in this dimension and DL is doing a trash-and-burn. Other examples are the old NW/KL joint venture with connections through AMS, the cooperation with Alaska, including upgrades and lounges, and of course the end of the FF arrangement with SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                MH told BA/QF that they don't want to end up being a feeder airline to these two, and told them that MH will join only if both BA & QF move their hubs from SIN to KUL.

QF/BA laughed and said selamat jalan to MH !
                Oh well lah! What a difference a year makes....

Comment

Working...
                X