No announcement yet.

Instant Noodles as Onboard Snacks--Now Even with Non-Asian Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, UA have them only on long flights. Have had them since 3 years ago. Recently was on a NRT - LAX in C and I asked for cup noodles. Response I got was that this flight was too short to have them.

Comment

its an easy snack i guess for the airlines. im not that into cup noodles but i love (not in a cup) IndoMie mi goreng, id be happy to have that on a plane
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfox View Post
        As a fellow physician, I am shocked that you would eat something so high in SODIUM as well as fat!
        I'm pretty sure there is close to zero actual nutritional value in those things. The fat is also usually saturated, as well.
        #Homer Simpson# "Mmmmmmmmm, saturated fat and sodium (drool)"

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        Dr nickbot is a medical doctor only when he wants to perform a naughty checkup. (No more on this from me, out of fear of what mrs nickbot might do to me. )
        Ahh 'tis true Sir - nurse (mrs) nickbot will be along any second

Jeez, what brand do you buy? The brand I indulge in (Sogokimyun, a Korean brand) has 16 g fat (but lots of scary chemicals -- probably mostly in the seasoning sachet) per pack
        I shall have to study the labels whilst shopping today - perhaps my judgement was clouded by a critical deficiency in sat fat at the time of typing as I can only find circa 15 g on the internet this morning I'm sure there was a Thai flavour brand that used to be stocked in my local Tesco that held the pole position with regard to fat content,...ooooooh so tasty!

Originally posted by jjpb3
        -- and I eat only half a pack at a time.
        I just don't understand how you can put yourself through such torture,...half eaten desserts in the grim North, half eated Gelato in London (the grim South!), now half eaten cup noodles - whatever next?!

Originally posted by SQflyergirl
        Seriously though Dr. Flyingfox - your point is noted. Those instant noodles are nutrionally worthless, and I do try to avoid too much of it, but there are those days when I just can't lift a finger to cook a proper meal. Shame on me
        I agree, but no shame should be shouldered; whilst they are indeed of marginal nutritional value, I think everything should be enjoyed in moderation

Comment

Originally posted by Caravelle View Post
          I'm not particularly a fan of instant noodles, especially if they are served onboard. However, I cannot help noticing the growing trend - that of airlines (particularly non-Asian ones) serving these cup noodles thingy. I've personally experienced KLM, UA serving these cup noodles. Which other non-Asian airlines serve cup noodles/instant noodles onboard?
          It's not a trend. It has been served on board for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by jadivindra View Post
            They also used to offer this on request as a snack in J but the crew will add fish balls,prawns, some green vege (choy sum?), topped with dried crispy garlic/onions!Mid 90's.
            SQ still does this to the noodles in broth "snack" in J! Haven't seen the fried shallots in a while and the chili condiment has had quite a few avatars: pickled sliced green (the proper Singapore style), sliced red, and on one occasion, kochujang (outbound from ICN)!
            Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by AC Flyer View Post
              It's not a trend. It has been served on board for a very long time.
              Oodles of noodles. You sound like a connoisseur of instant noodles. Thanks for sharing your historical referencing.

Comment

I always tell me wife, if these noodles are so bad, we would have a lot of fat and bald Japanese and Koreans.......
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                  ... i love (not in a cup) IndoMie mi goreng, id be happy to have that on a plane
                  You and I both. I practically subsisted on indomie when I went to college as the food was disgusting (Spotless Catering....ugh), minus the chilli of course. Either that or a trek across to Lygon St for some good Italian - I think Cafe Corretos got a steady stream of revenue from us college kids.

Since moving out of college in the latter years of uni and discovering the joys of cooking, a stack of them indomie is still kept for Lazy Dinner Nights. Or canned spaghetti on toast. I am proud to say however that I've touched neither for over 2 weeks. w0rd.
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 28 September 2009, 01:13 PM.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Dr nickbot is a medical doctor only when he wants to perform a naughty checkup. (No more on this from me, out of fear of what mrs nickbot might do to me. )
                    Whoops, I jumped to conclusions!

I didn't realise that Nickbot was not a medical doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      To quote the beloved Ali G from Staines: But are there any negative effects?

(for those of you who've never seen the clip: here it is...... a cracking classic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqZKW1WEVlM

Seriously though Dr. Flyingfox - your point is noted. Those instant noodles are nutrionally worthless, and I do try to avoid too much of it, but there are those days when I just can't lift a finger to cook a proper meal. Shame on me
                      What is really strange to me is that people are going to retain water on a long-haul flight naturally (in all the wrong places outside of the bladder), so it seems that by drinking a soup loaded with sodium one is going to add to the "swelling"!
                      But I guess that they can be seen as a "comfort food" and are easily transported, thus making them a logical option?

Comment

Every airline should stock them, they are very light on the weight and satisfy cravings!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfox View Post
                          As a fellow physician, I am shocked that you would eat something so high in SODIUM as well as fat!
                          I'm pretty sure there is close to zero actual nutritional value in those things. The fat is also usually saturated, as well.
                          Really? My brothers and I grew up on those things (especially Indomie) and we turn out pretty OK. So, I guess they are not that much worse than anything else that we put into our system these days.

Once in a while now, I still do crave for them and have one or two packs of those tasty Indomie instead of a proper cooked meal.

I can't believe how many types of flavours instant noodles come with nowadays and these include the fried varieties as well. When I was growing up, there used to be only one original chicken soup flavour (Indomie Kaldu Ayam).
                          Last edited by UMD; 6 December 2009, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X