Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interlining between non-allied airlines on separate tickets: how does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    Probably true if the tickets are on the same itinerary. But, for example, have you tried through-checking on separate tickets from BA to a non-OW airline? I think BA won't do that, based on what some friends have experienced.
    My last experience of BA to non-OW on separate tickets is pretty antique - but in 2006 I successfully interlined BA to SQ such an itinerary. They have a change in policy as I understand, but still do accept bags from non-OW carries if I'm not mistaken.

I've also done TG to LH to AA. TG/LH on one ticket, AA on a separate ticket. My bags were tagged all the way to ORD but decided to take a holiday by themselves in BKK.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      Is that very recent? My last experience of BA to non-OW is pretty antique - but in 2006 I successfully interlined BA to SQ.

I've also done TG to LH to AA. My bags were tagged through all the way to ORD but decided to take a holiday by themselves in BKK.
      Experiences with BA to non-OW on separate tickets (BA to UA and BA to TG, for example) were in 2007, in fact.

My example concerned only BA, to caution against the conclusion that interlining among major non-allied airlines was a forgone conclusion.

I hope you were reunited with the wayward Thailand-vacationing luggage.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

My example concerned only BA, to caution against the conclusion that interlining among major non-allied airlines was a forgone conclusion.
        Point taken.

I understand the savings behind not interlining to non-OW carriers on separate tickets, but it's nonetheless disappointing (and a little surprising) coming from a major global carrier like BA. Or perhaps there are other similar examples that I'm not aware of.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I think it may depend on whether an interlining agreement exists and perhaps also the airline/airport involved ?

I have a vague recollection:

NRT-LAX - SQ
          LAX-YVR - AC - interlining okay (although I had to collect my luggage and clear US customs at LAX)

YVR-YYC - AC
          YYC-JFK - AC
          JFK-FRA - SQ - interlining not okay so I had to collect/check-in again at JFK. I think I cleared US customs at YYC ?

Comment

Just to clarify, jhm: separate tickets?

If yes, SQ LPP did comment on AC in post #7:
            Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
            Of course not all airlines in the world are willing to do the same. Thus case by case should be looked into. As an example from my own experience, AC from YVR would not interline with any airline if on separate tix.

Comment

Just to clarify, jhm: separate tickets?
              Nope, all part of the same RWSTAR.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                Nope, all part of the same RWSTAR.
                Perhaps that doesn't fall under the thread topic (i.e., separate tickets) then?

Comment

Perhaps that doesn't fall under the thread topic (i.e., separate tickets) then?
                  Just illustrating the point that SQ --> AC interlining worked but AC --> SQ interlining didn't so - separate tix or not - perhaps it depends on the airport/airline in question.

Comment

Probably true if the tickets are on the same itinerary. But, for example, have you tried through-checking on separate tickets from BA to a non-OW airline? I think BA won't do that, based on what some friends have experienced.

Recall that I won't have a single itinerary.

Fortunately, that issue doesn't seem to apply to CX and TG.
                    I have done SQ to BA all on separate itinerary. Have used it many a time from SIN and no problems. However, I have problems if I tried to interline from the UK. From UK, BA/BD (if separate itin) to SQ is a no-no. Not sure if it's a problem with BAA goons.

Comment

I think it may depend on whether an interlining agreement exists and perhaps also the airline/airport involved ?

I have a vague recollection:

NRT-LAX - SQ
                      LAX-YVR - AC - interlining okay (although I had to collect my luggage and clear US customs at LAX)

YVR-YYC - AC
                      YYC-JFK - AC
                      JFK-FRA - SQ - interlining not okay so I had to collect/check-in again at JFK. I think I cleared US customs at YYC ?
                      I think your experience is prior to the existing rules. I believe it was in August 2006.

Up to March 2008, when I took AC YVR-SFO on separate tix, I won't be able to check through my bags on LH or UA or others from SFO to Europe for example. But, I had a BD award which YVR-SFO is in the same tix, and I had no problem interlining.

Comment

How about VX to SQ? I hope so

Comment

Just illustrating the point that SQ --> AC interlining worked but AC --> SQ interlining didn't so - separate tix or not - perhaps it depends on the airport/airline in question.
                          Yeah it depends on the airline you check in with. Same thing with BD. NZ->BD works. BD->NZ does not.

Fortunately I don't have to worry about this complexity as it has been years since I last checked bags (other than on itsy bitsy a/c checked at the planeside).

Comment

Working...
                          X