CX program changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    Yeah, until Savage25 decides to join it!

(Savage25, did you recently sign up for MPC / Asia Miles ??? )

pure evil!!!!

(btw, i thought the same thing and i was tempted to wrote it.... )
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
      Not too sure about the "better" of AAdvantage comparison to BA. Seems like if you don't fly AA domestics US heavily, the benefits would not be much. I like the possibility of one-way award on BA EC.

I think that BA is far head about perks/privileges for premium members, but on the other side is niggardly about miles when compared to US carriers.

Personally, i prefer benefits over extra-miles and so BA is the one for me.
      There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
      If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Hi jjpb3,

remember you told me that CX's FF program is better than QF's ?
        Well, I haven't done thorough research yet, but for the moment I am
        still staying with QF cos they have direct SIN-Australia flights.

Are you still gonna stay loyal to CX ?
        J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post

Comment

Hi jjpb3,

Well, I haven't done thorough research yet, but for the moment I am
            still staying with QF cos they have direct SIN-Australia flights.

I still think few programs are as stingy as QF's when it comes to redemptions. But the just-announced changes do make CX redemptions more expensive, which was their advantage over my alternatives (KF, BD and BA).

Staying loyal to CX? Not sure yet. I'm weighing my options. BAEC just became a lot more attractive to a LON-based flyer like me.

(And as I've always said, SQ Y is miles ahead of CX Y, IMHO.)
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              Oh what I meant was his choosing to pay/redeem for flights on CX when choosing from oneworld airlines.......he has never tried to hide the fact that he flies often with CX.

jjpb3 : the morning after I talked to you, I quickly looked through CX's website, but the redemption levels don't look that good (maybe this is after the changes mentioned), and the Marco Polo club vs Asiamiles thing is confusing to me, thats why I am staying with QF for oneworld.
              J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

QFF is truly one of the stingiest FFPs out there. It actually costs more QFF points to upgrade Y to J return MEL to Europe, than it does to buy return J awards using AA miles. And upgrades can't even be confirmed until the day before departure! You're better off with another oneworld FFP.

Admittedly it can be a lot easier to get to top tier status with BAEC and QFF than MPC and AAdvantage though.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 13 June 2007, 06:06 PM. Reason: wording
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                  QFF is truly one of the stingiest FFPs out there. It actually costs more QFF points to upgrade Y to J return MEL to Europe, than it does to buy return J awards using AA miles. And upgrades can't even be confirmed until the day before departure! You're better off with another oneworld FFP.

Admittedly it can be a lot easier to get to top tier status with BAEC and QFF than MPC and AAdvantage though.
                  Ok then, thats it, I will most likely quit QFF based on the opinion of jjpb3 and KeithMEL - will look into CX's Asiamiles program.
                  Thanks a lot for your advice guys.
                  J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Ok then, thats it, I will most likely quit QFF based on the opinion of jjpb3 and KeithMEL - will look into CX's Asiamiles program.
                    Thanks a lot for your advice guys.
                    You will need to enroll in MPC for status - Asia Miles is simply for award miles.

If you're considering Asia Miles, do remember that BAEC enrolls you into Asia Miles for your award mileage since you live in Asia Pacific. BAEC status is a lot easier to achieve than MPC status if you fly in premium cabins (even without the Eurocheat method ). So you can achieve status on BA while earning Asia Miles. BAEC status operates on a tier point system like PPS sectors - and you just need to plan your flights carefully to double or quadruple your tier points. MPC is mileage-based and IIRC there's a very high threshold to reach CX's top tier.

Only wrinkle is you have to fly at least 4 qualifying flights on BA to achieve/maintain status and BAEC is one that enforces this requirement very vigourously. So I think that makes 8 to get Gold the first time round.
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 June 2007, 04:40 PM.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks KeithMEL !

I will look into BAEC versus MPC then. However, my actual flying on Oneworld is actually quite modest : just wanna get it right and have peace of mind.

Off topic : there is also the Skyteam dilemma - I was on a long haul flight to europe last year, and put the miles into Northwest Woldperks - which I've since been told is a stupid choice.

Saw a Citibank credit card flyer today - the CX VISA card : it waives the
                      US$50 enrolment fee in MPC, so may apply for it if gonna join MPC/Asiamiles.
                      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

MPC is mileage-based and IIRC there's a very high threshold to reach CX's top tier.
                        Just noticed this -- small correction: MPC also counts sectors for status. It doesn't ratchet up status-earning like BAEC's tier points, but it does reward high-frequency flyers who tend to fly on short hops like LHR-FRA, LHR-ZRH, HKG-TPE or HKG-MNL. I achieved GO on sectors before I did on miles because of work intra-Europe travel.

Comment

I achieved GO on sectors before I did on miles because of work intra-Europe travel.
                          Whoops sorry for that oversight.

hmm - 40 sectors to reach GO. MEL-CBR return at least twice a month = 4 sectors/month = 48 a year! Does CX enforce the min 4 segments on own-metal rule? But then most of those sectors this year have gone towards QFF - special government rate where we earn status credits but zero miles. Someone told me that I'd get both if I put in another FFP...hmmm....

Comment

Despite the enhancements to the Asia Miles rewards programme, I think I will still keep my MPC and planning to upgrade to Silver this year and Gold next year since I will still be based in HKG for at least the next few years.

Comment

hmm - 40 sectors to reach GO. MEL-CBR return at least twice a month = 4 sectors/month = 48 a year! Does CX enforce the min 4 segments on own-metal rule?
                              60 sectors if beginning from zero, because sectors are re-set when you're promoted. No, CX doesn't enforce the minimum-segments rule, particularly if you achieve elite status.

Comment

60 sectors if beginning from zero, because sectors are re-set when you're promoted. No, CX doesn't enforce the minimum-segments rule, particularly if you achieve elite status.
                                So essentially 24 months max to reach 60 sectors (assuming I actually take 12 months each to get SL and GO)... Now there's a thought.

Don't think there's a point in yet another oneworld status though - the only thing I can't do as AA PLT is entering Admiral Clubs on domestic itineraries in the US, meaning I'm not missing out by much anyway?? Don't see myself being on Traitor Air much either.
                                Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 June 2007, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X