• Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the most enjoyable TR I ever read...Job well done
    AC-SE (2007-Now), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

Comment

Goodbye Osaka

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
      Just come back from Osaka vacation... (and even my TR still haven't reach the Osaka part..)..... But reading your TR make me miss Osaka again badly....
      Realy realy great TR, Sir!!!
      I'm sure you enjoy Osaka too. Hard not to..

Btw, did you go to "takoyaki museum" in Universal City/Walk? We had a multiple takoyaki feasts there...
      Didn't go to Universal. Only kids went, which gave wife and I "couple time" spent at Kuromon Fish Market! I'm very romantic you know!

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Fantastic Fantastic report so far - greatly enjoying it
      Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
      Very nice trip - and a very interesting report. I'm hungry just looking at the pictures. Somehow winter in Japan looks far more exotic than winter in Europe.

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
      Nice pics of Osaka. Brings back memories of my trip last year. Am stopping there for a night again this year staying in Swissotel again as well. Just too convenient.

They currently have a 2011 Kick-off deal, similar to last year. Free brekky, internet and complimentary upgrade subject to availability valid till March 18. But I get a feeling those free internet and brekky are added to the rates haha.
      Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      Looks stunning.

And to think that a particular photo taken by.. inspired it all...
      Originally posted by mraquinas View Post
      One of the most enjoyable TR I ever read...Job well done
      Thanks for all the positive comments

I just got back from NRT early Sunday morning.

If you are enjoying this TR, wait till you read my TR on TYO.

I'll have to finish this one first..

KIX Airport

I have always been fascinated by KIX and try and catch the Discovery Channel-type documentaries about the engineering behind building an airport in the middle of the sea

Yet to those without the interest, it might seem like any other airport..

1. Main Terminal

Floor 4: International Departures
      Floor 3: Restaurants & Shops
      Floor 2: Domestic Arrivals & Departures
      Floor 1: International Arrivals

Main Terminal, linked to North/South Wings by Shuttle

2. Check in counters

3. Shuttle that takes you from Main Terminal to South Wing

Looking back at Main Terminal from South Wing. Note the elevated road to the left of the pic where I took my next shot

The other way! Looking from Drop Off Point at Main Terminal towards South Wing

4. Departure Gate ( note low ceiling gates 36 to 41 because the Shuttle track runs above! )

Soaring ceiling at gates 26 to 31 without Shuttle track overhead..

Some pics are from 2009 visit! Note 772 in the picture above

But today, 9V-STQ, will be flying me home. First time flying on Christmas Day

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 22 January 2011, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Why KIX Is Special For Me

I love crossing bridge across the canyon into the terminal..

And the roofline.. It was the first I'd seen. Now many airports copy it..

And after checking in, I always make time to say goodbye to an old friend

Farewell my takoyaki darlings! Until we meet again..

They can be found here on the 2nd Floor Domestic Arrivals & Departures.

Big selling point on using KIX as Japanese gateway

Dessert across the corridor from takoyaki restaurant..

JL Sakura Lounge

No more SKL in KIX so I just took these quick pics inside JL Sakura Lounge before proceeding to Gate 41

Extremely limited offerings and cannot compete with my appointment with some takoyaki landside!
        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 17 January 2011, 06:08 PM.

Comment

The KIX shops even sell takoyaki sweets!

I assume you must have been given an invite to JL lounge when flying SQ ? When flying LH, I got an invite to the third party Asuka lounge (also in the satellite after taking the train) but I used the nicer (only slightly) NH lounge.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            The KIX shops even sell takoyaki sweets!

I assume you must have been given an invite to JL lounge when flying SQ ? When flying LH, I got an invite to the third party Asuka lounge (also in the satellite after taking the train) but I used the nicer (only slightly) NH lounge.
            Yes. Invite was to JL lounge.

Wonder why NH lounge wasn't offered instead? NH is fellow *Alliance airline after all.

Frankly I don't need lounge access in KIX.

I don't have enough time after my takoyaki breakfast.

Always have that on my way out ( and in transit SIN-KIX-CTS vv )

Takoyaki sweets... hmmm. Must look out for it in April... returning for cherry blossom
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 17 January 2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              Yes. Invite was to JL lounge.

Wonder why NH lounge wasn't offered instead? NH is fellow *Alliance airline after all.
              Lowly *G travelling in Y gets to use NH Signet (For some reason, KFEG gets to use Sakura though).

Comment

Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
                Lowly *G travelling in Y gets to use NH Signet (For some reason, KFEG gets to use Sakura though).
                Maybe you (or I) am confused.

As a *G (KFEG or whatever), you can use the NH lounge.

As a *G (KFEG or whatever), you don't get access to the JL lounge.

You only get access to the JL lounge because of flying in J and being given an invite.

Comment

Awesome Trip Report

Comment

Boarding, Taxi & Take Off

Originally posted by sealalula View Post
                    Awesome Trip Report
                    Thanks. Will try and finish by the weekend so I can do TYO TR by CNY.

Boarding went smoothly through 2 aerobridges.

I find it harder to get registration on A330 than 777s.

Push back was 5 mins early. I, for one, am grateful that latecomers don't delay departure

For Christmas Day, KIX was surprisingly busy. We were 3rd to take off, behind..

.. CX 773..

.. & CO 738.

But ahead of this MH A333..

.. and my stalker

Here we go..

See you again in April 2011 KIX

Try as I may, I've never been able to get an aerial view of KIX
                    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 20 January 2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

A333 J Class Cabin - My Thoughts

Quite full for Christmas Day, with a load of 24/30 in J cabin. Can't say what Y was like but it looked full.

I had originally booked 11A & C for our return trip too. But seeing it's a day flight ( so I won't be sleeping ), I figured I'd try another row 15H & K.

There have been many complaints about the limited wriggle room for feet in the "sleep mode". I concur. It's like being in a tight sleeping bag.

I'm surprised this design flaw slipped past scrutiny during the design of the seat.

Surely there was a cabin mock up?!

But the saving grace is more storage space around you for the essentials of air travel.

To be fair, this seat is a quantum leap forward as a regional business class seat.

But SpaceBed, a long haul business class seat, is still better for the legroom it provides in "sleep mode".

Anyway the decorations had a special significance flying on 25 Dec.

We had a fantastic crew which went about their work quickly & efficiently. Hot towels, drinks & nuts galore.

I should add that they really seemed excited at flying on Christmas Day!

The IFS is a good man. Flown with him many times..

And I get my "View from the Wings" shot for jjpb3!

I reckon the designers of SQ seats are wannabe Formula One race car designers

( compared to EK designers who want to build Panzers )

Look at the amount of weight they have shaved off the seat:

1. Tray / Table

Notice how light the new one is compared to older birds.

It's all plastic! It looks sturdy enough though. Time will tell...

2. Armrests

For the SpaceBed, they descend to give you a wider bed.

Nice design but complex mechanism results in a heavier seat and occasionally, they "hang"

This new seat has fixed armrests so right away a simpler design.

Lighter and less maintenance needed.

But look ( And I think this is brilliant ), they are scalloped below the armrest to give you the extra width when in " sleep mode ".

Next, what they serve for Christmas Lunch on board Santa's Sleigh...
                      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 21 January 2011, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Wow very detailed pictures, 9V-SIA!
                        Are those special Christmas menu covers I see tucked into the seatback pockets?
                        Didn't get those when I flew on 18th of Dec.

Comment

I don't remember when... but many many years ago I spent christmas in business on a plane. It was turkey and stuffing and it was glorious... Merry Christmas to all and to all a good.. *BURP*

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                            Wow very detailed pictures, 9V-SIA!
                            Thanks

Are those special Christmas menu covers I see tucked into the seatback pockets?
                            Now that you mention it, maybe.

I didn't snap menu cover KIX-SIN but I did get a picture of SIN-NGO menu cover

Originally posted by coffeeblack View Post
                            I don't remember when... but many many years ago I spent christmas in business on a plane. It was turkey and stuffing and it was glorious... Merry Christmas to all and to all a good.. *BURP*
                            That's what I was expecting but it wasn't. Y got turkey. J got something even nicer...

Comment

Christmas Lunch

My final post..

Menu KIX-SIN

Satay

Marinated sesame chicken salad

That white roll is very good..

Roast Christmas honey glazed ham with pineapple-raisin sauce and sweet potatoes.

Very very good. Tender & moist.

I notice that SQ props up the main event with vegetables. Is it to make it look like a bigger portion?

BTC Lobster Thermidor come to mind

Yuletide log cake served with brandy sauce

Gourmet cheese with garnishes. I miss the quince..

I made up for lost time when the IFE crashed on the way to NGO and watched:
                              • Wall Street 2
                              • Salt
                              • Despicable Me

..before arrival at SIN.

And that's how I spent the December school holidays. THE END

Epilogue

It had been an enjoyable flight: Smooth As Silk ( ahem! ) and a great landing.

And all because we had the best pilot in the world..

I caught a glimpse of him as we boarded our flight..

Have a good 2011 SQTalkers!
                              Last edited by 9V-SIA; 21 January 2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

An excellent and most enjoyable TR (as always), 9V-SIA, thank you.

Flights on Christmas Day ? Over the past 5 years, I've flown KA, SQ, AY, JL domestic, BA and LH on that day and can't remember anything special food wise.

SQ (HKG-SIN in F; 2006) had a menu insert announcing a special X'mas meal (which I didn't have - I think I'd BTC'ed roast goose) but no special menu covers.

AY (SIN-BKK-HEL in J; the same year) gave us each some presents - a set of vodka glasses and a pack of paper napkins (!).

Oh, and the Christmas just gone, a Merry X'mas and a sweet from the LHR T1 *A lounge "dragon"!

Comment

Working...
                                X