No announcement yet.

I spent Christmas with Santa: SIN-NGO-CTS-ITM/KIX-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to mention also that this bridge is where fanatical fans of the local baseball team, the Hanshin Tigers jump into the canal (preferably with KFC's Colonel Sanders) if they win!

Comment

Swissotel

While many of us have agreed that the location of this hotel is the best in Osaka, this is the first TR where someone has actually stayed there. Many thanks!

Totally miss Osaka!
      HUGE AL

Comment

Osaka Eats

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        I forgot to mention also that this bridge is where fanatical fans of the local baseball team, the Hanshin Tigers jump into the canal (preferably with KFC's Colonel Sanders) if they win!
        Good stuff. Remind me not to play Trivial Pursuit with you.

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
        While many of us have agreed that the location of this hotel is the best in Osaka, this is the first TR where someone has actually stayed there. Many thanks!

Totally miss Osaka!
        Welcome.

The Non Club rooms may be a bit old, though I understand that there's an ongoing upgrading programme .

There was free internet in our rooms & a PC/printer in the lounge.

Osaka Eats

Food wise not as adventurous when traveling with the family.

Having said that, we did not have a bad meal. Eats centred around Namba Parks & Takashimaya

The 2 meals we had without the kids were:

1. Fugu Lunch

We ate here, at Dotomburi, when the kids went to Universal Studio

Make sure you look properly because there's nearby restaurant with fugu hanging at the front but not a fugu restaurant

Ordered the fugu set.

Fugu sashimi in the centre. Then L to R, rice, tempura, fugu nabe & pickles

.. with a side of fugu shirako ( wrapped )..

( unwrapped )

Saw Japanese man sitting next to us drinking this so we tried one.. Sake with fugu fin!

Apparently tiny amount of toxin gives you a buzz but farmed fugu has no toxin

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 8 January 2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Osaka Eats Part 2

2. Dinner at Sakuichi

On our last night, left the girls to have room service and came to this Michelin* restaurant.

It is located behind Hotel Nikko, Midosuji.

As it was very cold & windy, we walked in the subway passageways under Midosuji.

I snapped a quick pic before running inside..

Chef who looked after us getting ready..

I've been to restaurants where they ask you to choose your sake cup.

Never before was I asked to choose my chopstick rest!

Wife chose..

Son chose..

Me..

It's nice to watch your meal being prepared in front of you

To be continued..
          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 7 January 2011, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Fugu fin in hot sake (hirezake) is great - firstly, the sometimes theatrical presentation of lighting the alcohol and secondly, the savoury taste of the sake.

I had that last weekend at a fugu restaurant too along with a fugu set - no shirako but we did get amongst other things fugu sashimi, fugu tempura, grilled fugu, fugu nabe (hotpot) and finished off with a congee made with the the hotpot water, rice and raw egg.

Comment

The Meal

Crab & crab roe with vinegar onion

Broad bean, burdock rolled with eel, turnip with soy bean paste, white radish sprouts & spiral snail

Sashimi

Steamed turnip puree

Grilled barracuda with soy sauce, red pepper & grilled eel

Vegetables in Walnut Sauce

Grilled Whitefish marinated with soy bean paste surrounded by:
              • Grilled sirloin
              • Scallop gratin
              • Mackerel sushi
              • Grilled celery with soy bean paste, vinegar & mustard

Miso Soup

Rice with snapper and Japanese pickles

Crĕme Brulée Ice Cream

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 January 2011, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Uemeda

We made one trip by subway to Umeda..

.. and this shop..

So we had lunch there, at this curry shop..

.. and dessert downstairs!

Mochi doughnuts!

The Jump Shop is better at Universal Studios

We also went to the Pokemon Centre. The original one has just closed. It is now in Daimaru Umeda

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 January 2011, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  We also went to the Pokemon Centre. The original one has just closed. It is now in Daimaru Umeda

Fantastic TR!

luv 'Japlish' and 'Chinglish', never fails to produce quizzical yet smiling faces.

Comment

Originally posted by Datex Ohmeda View Post
                    Fantastic TR!

luv 'Japlish' and 'Chinglish', never fails to produce quizzical yet smiling faces.
                    Thank you.

I was looking out for more "Japlish" ( not hard enough I'm sure ) when I came across this at Midosuji station...

Nothing wrong with it! I particularly like the one at the top left hand corner..

My plane leaves in 3 hours so I'll have to finish up when I get back...

Comment

Just come back from Osaka vacation... (and even my TR still haven't reach the Osaka part....)..... But reading your TR make me miss Osaka again badly....
                      Realy realy great TR, Sir!!!
                      Three thumbs up...

Btw, did you go to "takoyaki museum" in Universal City/Walk? We had a multiple takoyaki feasts there....
                      Last edited by Dent@SUB; 9 January 2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Fantastic Fantastic report so far - greatly enjoying it

Comment

Japlish! I'm still wondering whether the following sign (on the toaster in the ground floor restaurant of the Westin Tokyo) is deliberate or not:

Comment

Very nice trip - and a very interesting report. I'm hungry just looking at the pictures :-) Somehow winter in Japan looks far more exotic than winter in Europe.

Comment

Nice pics of Osaka. Brings back memories of my trip last year. Am stopping there for a night again this year staying in Swissotel again as well. Just too convenient.

They currently have a 2011 Kick-off deal, similar to last year. Free brekky, internet and complimentary upgrade subject to availability valid till March 18. But I get a feeling those free internet and brekky are added to the rates haha.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                                2. Dinner at Sakuichi

On our last night, left the girls to have room service and came to this Michelin* restaurant.
                                Looks stunning.

And to think that a particular photo taken by inspired it all...

Comment

Working...
                                X