Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forget LCCs, go full service around SE Asia! (MI, CX, SQ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now for the SQ segment, back to SIN

Bangkok >> Singapore
    Flight: SQ979
    Aircraft: B777-200
    Dep: 1830 Arr: 2155
    Seat: 46K

I've been to BKK many times before, but never for a holiday, so this time, I went shopping at MBK, Siam Paragon, Siam Square, Central and everywhere in between (like on the streets ), plus the floating market and the royal palace. Before I knew it, my bags were full to the brim!

I had tens of thousands of miles expiring end of this year, so I thought I'd burn some miles for me and buddies for this sector. Was going to redeem J but the booking engine won't allow 5 people per booking, so I saved the hassle of doing two bookings and just went with Y

BKK is closer to the city than I thought, and the taxi driver took us from the Holiday Inn in Ploenchit to the airport in just 25 mins. The fare was THB860, don't know if i was ripped off.

In Thailand, they really respect their King. Maybe because it was HM's birthday, so they had this pic on the windows of the airport

Walking to the checkin

As a *G member, I skipped the long queues to check-in. Ahh, the pleasures of being a an EG SQ979 is also codeshared by LX and MS

To the SKL!

It's rather small, but is a nice place to chill before boarding the flight nevertheless. It's also stocked with Haagen Daaz

Up next: The flight

Comment

Today's gate: D3, not far away from the SKL. On the way there, saw these few aircraft.

Bangkok Airways A320

A loooong A340-600 of Thai

The latest OW member, S7 of Russia. Seen here is one of their 767s

At the entrance down to D3 there was another security check, this time just for carry on bags. I was just in time to see my ride of the day arrive. Hope it's an AVOD bird

Yes, it is! 9V-SRK

A few Euro *A members in the background.

Boarding

Was one of the first to board. My seat was 46K. Christmas deco was up, but it wasn't there anymore after landing

Comment

The FAs were really friendly today, and especially helpful to children.

Warm towels given out on this flight, even for this short flight. SQ really sets the standards for pre-takeoff service

A Thai 772 next to us.

The new safety video. Terrible if you ask me. I miss the old video's music

Taking off into the night sky

IFE turned on pretty soon

Comment

Some Y seats have the two nets next to the screen while some don't. How can I tell which ac has which?

Cabin view

Today's flight time is just nice to catch up on my favorite comedy episodes, especially The Simpsons.

Meal service. The carts were stocked with alcoholic drinks today.

Dinner
          Bangkok to Singapore

Roll
          Roll and butter

Main course
          Fish with potatoes

Dessert
          Blueberry Cake (I think?)

Drinks
          Drinking Water/ Coffee-Tea

I chose the Fish and potatoes (CX serves the same thing too), but it ran out, and the FA offered me lamb (it may have been a crew meal or J food) instead. I accepted the offer, and she went into the galley. When she came back, she told me I was the lucky Y pax who got the last serving of Fish

The taste was rather bland, and the dessert was as bad as CX's cake

Comment

Time flies, and soon we begin our descent into SIN.

Very few connecting flights from T2 tonight. Most were in T3. Seems we're arriving at T2.

The approach was rather scary. The pilot told us it was raining at SIN but by the time we were there there the rain had stopped, but the flight was still very bumpy. We were being tossed around a lot, and an FA nearly fell. Landing lights on, and all I could see was clouds, until the final approach. The pilots had a hard time getting the aircraft lined up to land, and then the engines went into full thrust. I presumed it was a missed approach, but then moments later the pilots pulled back on the thrust to idle, and then touchdown!

Back in Changi

There was a Jett8 747 behind us, followed by a Garuda B738 seconds behind us. Naturally, the pilots didn't want to linger around the runway for long, so we braked hard and turned on the nearest exit. I've heard this joke that if an MH aircraft lands with an AK aircraft queuing to land, the MH pilots take their time to leave the runway. Interesting if true

Parked next to SVN

After leaving the aircraft and walking towards the arrivals, I noticed the all the travellators sealed off with an officer standing nearby. Then there was a security check! We queued for a long time, and it seemed this check was even more strict than the checks before departure.

End of this segment, next up: a short hop back to KUL! Thanks for reading

Comment

I find those blue and purple seats in the 744 and 772's more comfortable than the new green and brown seats in the A380, 77W's and A333's...

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
                I find those blue and purple seats in the 744 and 772's more comfortable than the new green and brown seats in the A380, 77W's and A333's...
                They're about the same if you ask me, the only thing I appreciate of the new Y seats is the wider IFE screen and USB stuff.

Will miss the blue and purple seats when they're gone

Comment

The new seats seem a lot thinner and hence more uncomfortable... As with leo, I prefer the old seats.
                  God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

PTV Storage

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                    Some Y seats have the two nets next to the screen while some don't. How can I tell which ac has which?
                    AFAIK, 9V-SQB to 9V-SQH (the 288 seater ones) and 9V-SRF to 9V-SRI (the 323 seater ones) do not have the nets at the side of the PTV screen. 9V-SRJ to 9V-SRL (also 323 seater ones) have them. Basically, the AVOD-equipped regional 772 have the nets.

Hope this information, though late, helps

Comment

Working...
                    X