GIG-GRU-LHR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIG-GRU-LHR

After spending 2 ˝ days in meetings in Rio de Janerio, we began another 30 hrs journey (see TAM LHR-GRU-GIG) now with the sweetener that its home we are heading to. We had planned to set off at 17:00pm from our last meeting in Rio city centre. But the goodbyes delayed us for a good 20 mins so much so it was close to 17:30pm by the time we boarded the cab.

Between a mixture of many hand gestures, me English and he Portugese, the driver finally understood we have a 20:00 flight to catch and have to be at GIG by 18:00. He set off, and Schumi would have been proud except downtown traffic in Rio would even set F1 drivers back. Cabbie finally turned off the highway into the final stretch into GIG, and here he was in his element – I found my right foot stepping down into the imaginary brake several times, and reminded myself I should really be behind; but then maybe I’ll need a sick bag then.

Arrived at GIG at 18:10pm, and the metered fare was only BRL33 – I had budgeted BRL75 based on our prepaid ride from GIG into Flamengo when we arrived. I gave the guy BRL50 and he was immensely thankful.

Focusing on getting all the procedures done, was too preoccupied to snap pictures. After checking in, we headed towards the departure. Here I had some time, cos of this snaking queue to what we eventually discovered was security screening – a grand total of 4 stations for the entire GIG’s departures, and only 3 was manned, with 1 reserved for crew and staff.

With the “progress” all of us were making, it was no surprise that soon people were waving down staff to indicate they were minutes away from boarding, but there was nothing any of the airline staff could do. Incidentally, there was no distinction between cattle and premium, all were equal in this one mega-queue. I found myself nearing the boarding time of 19:20 as well, and waved down a TAM staff as he passed by. Likewise, there was nothing he could do. We finally cleared the scanners and passport control – which was a lighter affair – at 19:30pm, a good 50 mins in the queue.

We rushed to the gate – forgive the memory in this rush – only to discover it has been re-gated; announcements were probably made but my Portugese was zero and that of Latin-accented English probably slightly better, and no surprise hence for missing it. I could have bettered Usain Bolt’s record if not for the cabin trolley, when I finally reached the new gate, with 2 – 3 pax streaming through.

GIG-GRU
    Wed 14 July 2010
    Flight: TAM JJ8084
    Aircraft: B767
    Class: Economy
    Seat: 25D

Boarding the 767, I was at first surprised to find a rather empty cabin. Panting to catch my breath as I sank into my aisle seat – thank God, even though it’s a 60 min shuttle – it occurred to me the rest of the pax could still be clearing security.

As we waited, I came to my senses, and out came my cam. This particular 767 is configured 2-3-2. You’ll see somewhere in the middle of the Y cabin, the port and starboard seats are separated by the galley – wondered whether the aisle pax in there rows will feel claustrophobic or disturbed by the gallery activities. I do find the mix of red-mustard seats rather refreshing though.

Decent leg room, but prob not for anything exceeding 5 hrs I supposed. there’s no IFE, bird is prob dedicated for domestic legs or shuttles I imagine.

We continued to wait, as pax began visiting the heads, and outside the windows, it began to rain. At 20:05 – our scheduled departure – the doors were not even closed yet.

Eventually, we pushed back close to 21:00; I had by then been engrossed by a magazine – I brought along, not particularly engaged by those in the seat pocket – and had forgotten to repeat the same shot.

One TAM feature that was sweet was FAs passed out toffees before take off – a la hot towels in SQ. Personally, I wld have preferred a drink – oh I forgot, cattle don’t get bubbles before take off.

The flight itself was a simple affair – took off in no time, FAs rushed to distribute drinks, and we began to descend. I wasn’t particularly concerned abt the lost time, cos the LHR connection wasn’t scheduled till 23:00. We eventually touched down at 21:40 and thankfully this time round – as opposed to a bus-ride to board at a remote standing - we had an aerobridge especially in this rain.

GRU

Once again, we began the search for JJ8084 after de-planing from JJ8084. I really find this ‘code-sharing’ rather surreal, cos not only was it entirely different sector, ‘flight’ was even using different birds. Anyway, rather easy in locating the gate for the LHR-bound JJ8084.

At 22:15pm, there was no staff at the gate counter yet , thought pax were building up. The few duty free were uninteresting – the usual mix of liquor, tobacco, electronics (cams, video, headphones), perfumes, candy, GAP tees. Was thinking I could dump my BRL, not knowing when I’ll return again – unless Concorde flies direct between GRU or GIG with SIN – I discovered the prices were in USD.

Incidentally, the TAM lounge which *A Gold and above are eligible was really a hike away, as I discovered. Hence, I ended up nursing a latte at the waiting area. The pax queue started forming up soon, and TAM staff began to appear.

Not forgetting my ‘mission’ by SQTalkers on the FAs, I tried as discreetly as possible to snap a few pics of the TAM stewardesses. They are really lookers and the pics just don’t do the ‘actuals’ justice. I know I had mentioned ‘tight-white-lycra blouses’ in LHR, alas its winter down south here, and the ‘pretty-sweet-young’ girls are in their trench-coats. I snapped quite a few with flash off, to avoid getting arrested, or slapped, and discovered quality was really bad. But here’s a sample

Coming up: GRU-LHR

fsorry for the late follow-up, tonnes of work to catch up, but here's the sequel

GRU-LHR
    Wed 14 July 2010
    Flight: TAM JJ8084
    Aircraft: B777-300ER
    Class: Economy
    Seat: 16H

It was raining heavily by the time we boarded at around 23:30pm

passing through Business class cabin …

… and Business class seats - boy do they look comfy, alas, mine’s yonder

Its some comfort I’ve got an aisle seat (16H, in 3-4-3 configuration) on this 11 ˝ sector

in my haste at this shot, somehow missed out on my own seat, but here are 16J and K.

Leg-space shot. At 1st impression, I wld say its rather generous space, almost feel – didn’t go down on fours with tape measure – like it’s the space in SQ A388 Y, and at recline mode, the whole seat adjust forward, so that it will not intrude into pax behind, like SQ new Y seats.

Also notice IFE volume control and channel controls at top right corner of pic – this is a duplicate to touchscreen controls on IFE . I’m rather impressed by IFE actually

Impressionistically, screen is almost the same size as SQ 388’s IFE, and its touchscreen! But, the hardware can only be as good as the software – and the variety of movies is really limited. I cant quite remember but there are no more than 5 English movies and similar no. of English tv programmes, abt the same no. of Portugese movies and tv programmes, and… that’s abt that.

I noticed from LHR-GRU and now this return sector that IFE is already turned on while we are waiting on the tarmac, and with complimentary headphones (see pic in LHR-GRU sector) already in seat pocket, pax were freely watching the offerings on IFE. But we were really spending quite a bit of time, 10 mins behind schedule, then 20 mins….

FAs started distributing amenity kits, essentially the same as those in my LHR-GRU sector – socks, toothbrush and toothpaste, foldable comb and ear plugs - but I didn’t realize until then there was a maroon colour version …

comparing with the mustard one from LHR-GRU

We finally pushed back past midnight, good 30 mins behind schedule. FAs, as per TAM practice apparently, started distributing toffees. FA in my Y cabin turned out to be a male, but conscious of my tasking by SQTalkers, I sneaked this – flash off! – of a lady FA passing out toffees in C just within line of sight from my 16H.

As mentioned, its winter here in the southern hemisphere, and those white-tight-lycra tops donned by FAs during the LHR-GRU sector have all gone out of the windows… er, pardon the metaphor =P to be replaced by really formal high neckline uniforms. But I must say I found their attire formal and elegant – there are red trimmings adorning their smart royal blue uniforms, and even their heels.

Safety video was rather interesting, with cartoon characters leading the narrative

We finally took off abt 00.25am, a good 55 mins behind schedule. I dozed off soon after, not even managing to recline my seat apparently, as I would find out abt an hour, when dinner was served. Yeah, you heard right, they were serving dinner at 01:30am

I still remember the chicken was rather dry, but my last proper meal was abt 18 hrs ago – we had not had dinner since our rush to GIG from downtown Rio, and I usually don’t eat lunch, and so my last meal was breakfast that morning abt 7am. Feeling hungry, I remember polishing up the whole tray, short of the utensils and paper tissues I do recall. And then, I disappeared into slumberland.

Between sleep and a movie here and there, I confirmed my impression that TAM FAs don’t clean up the toilets mid-flight. Each time I headed to the toilet after several hours, I found myself regretting not going earlier. But that was of course plain unthinking. A side-track since we are on this point – the state of the toilet was sufficient to dissuade me when I went with toothbrush and shaver when we were close to landing at LHR.

Comment

At 09:30am GRU time and 13:30pm LHR time, FAs started serving breakfast. Nothing spectacular, but it wasn’t bad. On omellette, I realized after a while this may be the best airplane food – it just couldn’t go wrong, and it retains a certain amount of moisture not to be too dry.

incidentally, has anyone here ever tried sunny side up 70,000 feet in the air? just curious,

At abt 14:45pm, we were 30 mins from LHR, and 15 mins behind schedule.

as we approach LHR, we were however diverted into holding pattern – alas, there was heavy traffic, and the window pax were given a tour of London – could make our Greenwich and the London Eye from window on my starboard.

Finally touched down at 15:30pm, 30 mins behind schedule, and reached the gate close to 16:00pm.

NB. The red fonts on the nose read, “The Magic Red Carpet”

Fortunately, we still have 2 ˝ hrs left for our SQ connection back to SIN, and I was most glad to be able to use SAS lounge to shower, brush my teeth and shave – c/ref toilet on flight. And then to SQ SKL to catch up on Straits Times – whoa! Economic growth expected to be 13%!!!

Overall, my impression on TAM from the LHR-GRU-GIG and return has been average. As I said it earlier, TAM is really a case of great hardware where “software” is an ‘area of improvement’. Actually, the FAs look gorgeous and the male FAs, like most Brazillian men, appeared charming – well, I’ve no clue of Portugese but you do know when the eyes and the demeanour are screaming flirt with the pax. But that aside, the level of service was – in my opinion – bad. Besides the dirty uncleaned toilets, there was also almost no drinks service in the middle of a 11 hr flight, and in the case of my hung IFE, unresponsive to call buttons. But TAM’s B777 was obviously a new aircraft, and the large touchscreen IFE – as a system itself, putting aside the poor bank of movies and programmes – was an initial delight. The crunch – will I fly TAM again? Well, the question really shd be – will I want to go Brazil again? And my answer is – no, at least not from SIN.

The 13 hr LHR-SIN on SQ319 was within all expectations , and most pple wld be familiar.

After 30 hrs though, what warms my heart was this that the wifey set the kids up to do, on the wall facing the door as I came in

thanks very much for bearing with me, and do feel free to object to my impressions cast by no more than 2 flights.

Comment

Nice report on a very long journey- Thanks.

Sad to see that TAM in conjunction with many others don't seem to place much importance on the state of the toilets. SQ remain peerless in this respect in my experience, and this in itself worth the premium, over the um crappier carriers.

Comment

Nice report. One of the first TRs on TAM long-haul flight that I've ever read.

I'd have to agree with mr botak on the cleanliness of the toilets on SQ flights. They are really almost spotless even after 10 hours into a flight.

Comment

Hey mate, great report!
            I admire you spending so much time travelling all the way to brazil in one shot. I think if i were you, after the london flight, i would be terrified of boarding another long haul

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
              Nice report on a very long journey- Thanks.

Sad to see that TAM in conjunction with many others don't seem to place much importance on the state of the toilets. SQ remain peerless in this respect in my experience, and this in itself worth the premium, over the um crappier carriers.
              Originally posted by Ratman View Post
              Nice report. One of the first TRs on TAM long-haul flight that I've ever read.

I'd have to agree with mr botak on the cleanliness of the toilets on SQ flights. They are really almost spotless even after 10 hours into a flight.
              thanks guys. indeed. As i usually fly by SQ, i have kinda taken clean toilets for granted. So when i was confronted by the dirties toilets, felt a bit put-off. During the tail-end of the GRU-LHR sector, there was one visit that set me hunting for another toilet when the 1st i came across actually had fecal stains on the toilet floor - i couldnt even make it into the cubicle. But i need to stress i didnt visit the C class toilets, maybe they are cleaned regularly and hence part of the paid premium product. Anyway, turned me into an appreciative SQ customer.

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
              Hey mate, great report!
              I admire you spending so much time travelling all the way to brazil in one shot. I think if i were you, after the london flight, i would be terrified of boarding another long haul
              thanks SoarBeyond. For several moments before boarding, i did entertain breaking the flight in Paddington or Oxford Street. But there was home to look fwd to. I'm telling myself never again.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post

thanks SoarBeyond. For several moments before boarding, i did entertain breaking the flight in Paddington or Oxford Street. But there was home to look fwd to. I'm telling myself never again.
                Mmm...There's nothing better than looking forward to home sweet home

Comment

After 30 hrs though, what warms my heart was this that the wifey set the kids up to do, on the wall facing the door as I came in
                  That is SO SWEET!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    That is SO SWEET!
                    yes it is, isnt it makes all the bread-hunting so much more worthwhile

Comment

Not sure I can take a 2 1/2 day trip to Brazil - I don't think I would have the time to recover!

I remember when I used to go to Brazil more often - i'd typically go KUL-SIN-FRA-GRU-POA and then drive another 2-3 hours to Santa Cruz do Sul.

No matter which way I sliced it - and I tried a whole range of routes (via JNB/CPT/EZE, via NRT/LAX/GRU, via SYD/EZE) - it'd always be around 45-48 hours door to door. I'd plonk my bags on the hotel room bed when i got there, and sit in a daze for about 5 minutes wondering where I was or what I was doing there, and what time it was- and when the reality hit home, I'd get depressed cause I was so far from home

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        Not sure I can take a 2 1/2 day trip to Brazil - I don't think I would have the time to recover!
                        Asia-Brazil used to be my one opportunity to fly MH from the mid-90s to the mid-00's. I used to actually overnight in EZE just to break the long KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE leg which felt like forever. I had a routine for that long flight. Board patiently in KUL, chat with the friendly South African and Argentinian FAs on board (and the occasional World Airways crew when MH wet-leased their M1R). In JNB, stock up on South African music at the music shop in the departune lounge which made for my IFE for the rest of the trip

Then, when in the interest of time (and money), I cut out the EZE stopover and connected on to RG straight into GIG, there would be a long layover in EZE spent chatting up the staff at the telco station, browsing products and people in duty free. Now that was a 30-hour journey that necessitated a coupla weeks of intensive workout training at the gym prior to departure

Arrival into GIG was typically at night and amazingly still have time and energy for a quick catch up with fam before passing out and finding myself in downtown Rio the next morning anticipating a great lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in Shopping Botafogo with a view of Guanabara Bay and Aeroporto Santos Dumont!

Then MH switched interline agreements with JJ which necessitated another EZE overnight and I said, forget it, it's time to fly EK and the rest is history
                        Le jour de Saint Eugčne, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

thanks for the report, I had forgotten TAM was in Star Alliance now.

It's a shame with such a nice IFE system they dont have more options. Royal Jordanian was much the same, good system, not many choices.
                          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

yeah, tell me abt it - i find mtself struggling to keep my eyes opened during afternoon meetings, cos it will be like 2am, 3am SIN time.

I'd get depressed cause I was so far from home
                            actually, from my experiences of red-eye into meetings and 1st flight out for home, i realised i almost always have no time to feel homesick. in fact, many a times the challenge becomes racking the brains to find out when's good time to call home

JNB/CPT/EZE, via NRT/LAX/GRU, via SYD/EZE
                            Originally posted by B727 View Post
                            it's time to fly EK and the rest is history
                            i explored various routes to shorten the flight tho ruled JNB out due to flight on the finals of the World Cup - wasnt expecting Brazil to fly home early - but found this the most optimal then. discovered belatedly that EK might have a less strenous route, but i had already issued instructions to issue tickets. 727 how was EK's route?

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                            It's a shame with such a nice IFE system they dont have more options. Royal Jordanian was much the same, good system, not many choices.
                            yeah, really a shame - it could potentially be so much more engaging

Comment

yeah, tell me abt it - i findi explored various routes to shorten the flight tho ruled JNB out due to flight on the finals of the World Cup - wasnt expecting Brazil to fly home early - but found this the most optimal then. discovered belatedly that EK might have a less strenous route, but i had already issued instructions to issue tickets. 727 how was EK's route?
                              EK from SIN would've been a one-stop via DXB. It's a red-eye departure from SIN (hopefully you're on the nonstop to DXB, otherwise it's a one-stop via CMB). Arrival in DXB in the wee hours of the morning and then a mid-morning departure nonstop to GRU, a flight time of 14-15 hours. It is a very direct route and pretty fascination (you can track it on screen) as you cross the red sea, the African continent, and the southern Atlantic (off the coast of Luanda) to GRU. If you arrive on time, you should have plenty of time to clear immigration, pick up luggage, clear customs, before heading up one level to re-check in with JJ for your domestic flight to GIG.

Now, if you're traveling Y, EK's 77L and 773 are notorious for their 10-abreast seating, but unless you have a big and tall physique, should be quite fine. Their ICE (information communication entertainment) IFE system is famous and you can literally catch up on a year's worth of movies from 10 different world cinema genres, not to mention listen to music in another 10 languages during the long flight.

Food is generally good even in Y, and you can take advantage of the time when you're stretching your legs and doing a walk of the cabin to stop by the galley and get refreshments.
                              Le jour de Saint Eugčne, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Working...
                              X