TAM LHR-GRU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAM LHR-GRU

I came to be involved in a multi-party meeting to be held in Rio de Janerio, Brazil, and began planning the flight. The shortest and fastest route from SIN would have been thru JNB, and then GRU and GIG. But with the meeting scheduled one day after the World Cup Finals, JNB was obviously still to be avoided if only for the crowds, if not my previous experience. The route eventually worked out was a 13 hr SIN-LHR, 3 hr transit, and then 11 hr LHR-GRU, 2 hr lay-over, and another 1 hr GRU-GIG, ie. a 30 hr, and in Y

Having arrrived early from a 13 hr from SIN on SQ318, hitched onto a bus connection from LHR Terminal 3 to T1 to catch TAM JJ8085 connection.

SQ318 which i just came off from after 13 hrs from SIN
    Reached TAM's Transfer Desk to find it manned by one [pretty sweet young] lady. Despite just having 2 pax ahead of me at the queue, there was mighty delay, and i only discovered why when i reached the counter lady [ie. pretty, sweet, young ] Apparently there was a fire at the catering warehouse and TAM [and i discovered later, bmi too] has lost its inflight catering. As a result [PSY] lady was manually writing out GBP10 meal vouchers in lieu of the dinner originally scheduled onboard.

I plonked myself at Bridge [next to *A's lounge] for a BLT and latte, catching up Oranje and Spain at 20+ min, 0:0 for time being. By the time I had to leave to catch the flight, the score remained at 50th min, and I none the wiser.

LHR-GRU
    Date: 11 July
    Flight: TAM JJ8085
    Aircraft: B777
    Class: Economy
    Seat: 17F

Boarding began abt 21:20pm and was orderly. The flight was totally full though, and was not looking forward to be stucked in the centre of the centre column of 4 seats, in Y no less - sulk sulk sulk.

View of cabin (above), and
    mandatory leg-shot (below) royalties due to SQFG Brazilian Real10 = SGD7.80

TAM's inflight mag, entertainment menu, and ear-phones...

close-up of ear-phones, yrs to keep

Push-back was delayed by a good 15 mins, at 22:20pm; heard from some translated Portugese that apparently some seats have been double-booked. Wondered what happened to those bumped-off the seats; to C?

Taxi was short and soon we were rolling down the runway, or maybe i was too fatigued, but i remember dozing off soon after we were airborne.

Found this amenity kit when i woke somewhere over the Atlantic later

apart from sockettes, from top right - dental set, plastic mesh bag, foldable comb, ear plugs.

IFE was a touch-screen, though it hanged after some time, prob cos i was too zealous in, er, touching it.

Here is where the service level was being called upon. I pressed the buzzer. No response. I waited for 1 min, pressed again, no response. This went off for 5 times, before i waved down an attendant bearing blankets between C and Y. She re-set it for me. Sometime later, while i was tracking Danzel Washington thru Deja vu, another stewardess came to me, pointed at the buzzer light and asked if I needed help,

Another indication of service - beside the drinks soon after taking off (NB. no dinner remember, cos catering warehouse burnt makan chao ta), we havent had a glimpse of the stewardesses at all. When i was pushed almost to the brink by my duo natural needs, I relearnt my primitive instincts to climb over my aisle, sleeping neighbour, headed to the head. When I went to the galley, lo and behold, i find those PSY ladies chatting among themselves behind drawn curtains. I asked for some water, and one of them - with a smile i must allow - pointed to the tray with her head.

Another aspect i have come to appreciate abt SQ - the crew cleans up the toilets. I had every intention to intro SQTalkers here on the ups and downs of TAM heads, but with the images that greeted me couple of times, think best we dispense with haunting your senses shd you choose to press on reading till now.

After luxuriating in C (and even F some) for a while prior to this, this stucked-in-centre Y was becoming bit tough to bear, and sleep was patchy and not altogether restful. Breakfast was bit of a welcome hence.

clockwise from top left - malted cheese chicken sandwich, salad, and a sealed pack, which turned out to include some pre-packed bread, choc-chip cookie, cheese and jam.

When we made approach into Sao Paolo, we had apparently gained more than 20 mins, despite setting off 15 min late. JJ8085 came to a stop at 05:20am; next another 1 hr to Rio
    Last edited by jammed; 20 July 2010, 09:19 PM.

Thanks for sharing!

Amused by TAM's meal-in-a-wrapper...

I'm very upset that there are no pics of PSY therefore you need to re-write the TR properly

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      I'm very upset that there are no pics of PSY therefore you need to re-write the TR properly
      +1

Thanks for sharing. So TAM's 777 layout is 3-4-3 in Y?

Comment

Bom Dia! - Muito Obrigada por compartilhado conosco

Comment

Amused by TAM's meal-in-a-wrapper...
          yes, me too! i had anticipated some warmed up pre-cooked food like rice with some meat or veg, you know, and had received it carefully from the FA, just in case package was hot, or the gravy in it may spill. But when i opened the wrapper, really quite didnt expect it that way...

Originally posted by 9V-JKL, milehighj View Post
          oh i'm so sorry, to have overlooked such an important technical detail; i can tell you there's a return route, and although i'm really not looking fwd to a 11 hr ride, for the sake of research - to quote our inhouse SQT researcher who has gone completely to the edge in the name of research - i will study the PSY in closer detail. Incidentally, did i mention some of them are in white coloured tight fitting lycra type blouses? no? i didnt? well, you start playing that image in your mind while you wait out the return post, wont you.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          Bom Dia! - Muito Obrigada por compartilhado conosco
          my dear Girl, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking abt. In the 2 days here, i have only learnt - saida

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
            my dear Girl, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking abt. In the 2 days here, i have only learnt - saida
            all it was was: thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
              ... The route eventually worked out was a 13 hr SIN-LHR, 3 hr transit, and then 11 hr LHR-GRU, 2 hr lay-over, and another 1 hr GRU-GIG, ie. a 30 hr, and in Y
              Well, what can I say. Not that easy to fly such long and consecutive segments in Y.
              Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Talk about culture shock.. stepping from SQ A380 to JJ 777.

3-4-3 seating in Y? At least the pitch looks good.

Clean toilets.. separates good from bad airlines for me

Thanks for rare South American TR on SQTalk!

Comment

oh yes, forgot to answer the questions - yes, TAM B777 is configured 3-4-3.

While the seats appear decent - felt almost as spacious as SQ's 388 - they cant beat J seats after 7 hrs let alon 11.

Toilets really bad, appeared my suspicions that JJ FAs dont clean toilets mid-flights confirmed on return - stains and tissue strewn on floor. And toilets dont even have soap dispenser; instead, there were sachets of soap like those Coffee Mate, which i have difficulty ripping open with wet hands.

thanks for the encouragement Everyone

Comment

and JJ8085 onto GIG (Rio de Janerio)

After alighting off the 777 that was JJ8085, i began the process of hunting where i would be getting onto the JJ8085 that would be a shuttle from GRU to GIG. The trek led me passed TAM's Lounge (in Terminal 1). I showed the counter guys who had some difficulty with English - Brazil's native tongue is Portugese - my KF Gold, went in grabbed two bottles of Vittel and headed off to continue my search for JJ8085 Part 2, too tired to pull out my cam for any shots - sorry guys.

Finally discovered JJ8085 Part 2 will be dispatched from a 'bus terminal' - deja vu with my JNB-GBE experience. This is GRU Terminal 1 Gate 4A, abt 06:00.

Bus brought us past GRU in the morning light, revealing that TAM base that GRU is

What i like abt TAM was the attention crew devoted to the elderly, parents with kids and handicapped, who were all bussed in a smaller bus (a Merc Sprinter). But three bus-loads of pax unloaded all at once produced this queue up the A319

GRU-GIG
                    Date: 12 July
                    Flight: TAM JJ8085
                    Aircraft: A319
                    Class: Economy
                    Seat: 6C

Typical boarding getting chocked up by pax loading bags into overhead cabins

With A319's 3-3 config, i finally got my aisle seat tho the 1 hr shuttle made it less a concern than an 11 hr one.

When pax were finally completely uploaded, doors were closed 5 min after scheduled departure at 07:30am. Bird lined up on runway for take-off at 07:45am, delayed by string of morning departures.

Another TAM A319/320 lined up behind us

GRU in the morning light

Airborne 07:50am. Sao Paolo below us

The Captain came on air to announce something in Portugese, before i could make out an English translation thereafter. We would apparently be landing in abt 20 min, which made this a very very short hop. The team of 1 male and 1 female FA leapt into action immediately after seat-belt lights went off. There were only drinks - option of beer, juices, coffee, tea, and water. I asked for coffee and it was served in small paper cups making it almost like expresso, with milk. Didnt think paper cups were worth my pic, and havent received SQTalkers' instructions for pretty sweet young FAs then.

Can i offer view of Brazil somewhere between Sao Paolo and Rio de Janerio tho

Soon, the outskirts of Rio de Janerio came into view. The clouds were hanging so low they appeared literally floating above the buildings. After a while, i wonder if the blue hue of the clouds could actually be smog

Landing was smooth, at about 08:25am, 5 min ahead of schedule. The taxi was however really really long. From the windows, the runway appeared really far away from the terminal buildings.

Find those high concrete light towers interesting - most light towers are just metal affairs, dont remember seeing such concrete structures anywhere else

It was after a 15 min long taxi-ing before the plane finally docked. And with that, the my 13hr SIN-LHR + 3 hr transit + 11.5hr LHR-GRU + 2 hr transit + 1 hr GRU-GIG = 30.5hr trip finally came to an end. Well, the flight at least. Now for the cab to the hotel.
                    Last edited by jammed; 20 July 2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Did you consider EK SIN-DXB-GRU?

When I visit South America one day, I'll try this route.

If only to try EK.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. How I miss Brasil....

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post

If only to try EK.
                        QR has some pretty decent fares to GRU. Plus its a 77L between DOH&GRU; a plane that I want to fly but have not.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. How I miss Brasil....

QR has some pretty decent fares to GRU. Plus its a 77L between DOH&GRU; a plane that I want to fly but have not.
                          77L seals the deal for me.. can't wait till next year when "my exams" are over!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post

If only to try EK.
                            i only discovered EK's SIN-DXB-GRU route after i issued tickets but how different is EK's Y with SQ+JJ's Y? somehow when you are in Y, they are all similarly unbearable after 7 - 8 hrs

Comment

hmm, yes this is also a possibility beside EK; again how's the Y like?

Comment

Working...
                              X