No announcement yet.

Chicken Rice & Duck Rice on the Golden Goose: SIN-LHR-SIN on 77W J/F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparations for arrival start over Holland.

Window shades go up & light floods the cabin.

I peer out the window looking for photo opportunities, but Holland is very flat & featureless

I start to perk up as we cross the English channel.

The Flight Plan shows...

Out the window, this is the view..

Imagine you are in an art gallery, looking at a picture.

What do you see? Answers tonight..

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
      Preparations for arrival start over Holland.

Window shades go up & light floods the cabin.

I peer out the window looking for photo opportunities, but Holland is very flat & featureless

Comment

What I See Below

I'm looking at the nearest point between Britain and Europe from 36,000 feet.

The land mass in the foreground is Kent.

In the background is France & Calais.

From this vantage point of 36,000 feet, in the summer of 1940, you would have been witness to The Battle of Britain being fought thousands of feet below..

As we continue up the Thames Estuary, some would wish in future that our journey to London end here... in a new airport built like KIX

Boris Johnson Calls For New London Airport

We had to circle a few times to the NE of London.

I dislike that sensation of a constantly turning aircraft but I distracted myself as LHR gives good opportunities for taking pics of aircraft

Approach to LHR

For nice views of London's attractions, one has to sit on the right hand side of the plane..

3 days in Venice

Today I'm sitting on the left so not much to see except Wimbledon Common..

.. and Wimbledon

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 February 2011, 06:22 PM.

Comment

The Landing

There's a sense of anticipation, excitement even, whenever I come to London. Despite having come here last month.

Perfect landing! Again..

What do you know about ET? I first learnt about ET during college days because my neighbour arranged aircraft leasing for them.

He told me that they were the best airline in Africa with a very good network.

Their premium traffic comes from Addis Ababa being regional headquarters for many international agencies.

That was pre EK days so I wonder how they're faring now?

Our gate..

There are 3 SQ flights to LHR daily. I like this one for the following reasons:
          1. Day flight so maximum enjoyment of SQ's service & IFE
          2. arrival time at 3pm allows you to get home, shower, have your dinner before crashing from jet lag ( hits around 7 to 8pm ex-SIN )
          3. only flight you are able to redeem J to F upgrade between SIN and LHR ( important for UK based users who pile on the miles with nowhere to burn them )

The immigration line was very long but with Fast Track, took 15 minute to get to an officer.

The bags were another story and ours came out right at the end. No priority at all

My Just Airports ride was waiting and the ride into London was smooth despite evening rush hour

Next.. my London Kampong
          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 31 July 2010, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Paddington Central

My kampong in London is St John's Wood.

Many buses take me shopping in Oxford & Regent Street/Piccadilly Circus via Baker Street.

Apart from shopping, I love to walk the streets of London in the early morning when the city sleeps. Lots of nice places to walk to from SJW.

To most of you, Paddington is where to catch the HEX. But if you have time, explore this walk.

I walked from SJW to Paddington via Little Venice. (my last TR I walked to Queensway via Little Venice).

It's a beautiful walk which I'll show in reverse since (if you do follow this walk) you'll most probably start at Paddington.

When you stand in front of the platforms, the walk starts is at the top right hand corner of Paddington..

Looking down at Paddington from the start of the walk..

Paddington is under renovation at the moment..

The start of the walk. Paddington Central is the reason for the revitalization of this part of London

PC has really spruced up the area. Road running across picture is Bishop's Bridge Road.

Offices flank Kingdom Street....

... & Novotel is at the far end

Apartments & retailers surround Sheldon Square.

Looking towards Paddington & PC from Little Venice.. Elevated road is A40 Westway. Road behind it over the canal is Bishop's Bridge Road.

Heart of Little Venice is the triangular body of water
            • Canal at 2 o'clock leads to Maida Vale.
            • Canal at 5 o'clock leads to Paddington

Canal taken from Maida Vale

Very tranquil walk in the heart of London..
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 22 August 2010, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Collage Of Interesting Things I Did In London

Abbey Road crossing made famous by the Beatles at 7am..

... at 11am. Gets even busier when the coaches come.

Apple Store on Regents Street on Saturday

I thought the queue was long. The store assistant said the queue on iPad's launch stretched round the block.

While waiting to enter the store, I saw SQ308 flying over Regents Street. Missed taking a shot.

That same day, I went to a friend's house off Kensington Church Street for dinner and saw SQ318 fly over the former Barkers on High Street Kensington.

I think it's Whole Foods Market now

This picture on Kensington Church Street heading to High Street Kensington sums up what I love about London.

The bus, the scale of the shopping experience ( cosy ) and the greenery..

In my out of date experience, best salt beef sandwich is at Selfridges Food Hall.

Care to update my impression?

Next, the flight home..
              Last edited by 9V-SIA; 1 August 2010, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Heathrow

From the taxi pick up to the F Lounge, everything went smoothly according to plan.

Except when trying to claim VAT back.

The line was very long land side and I was afraid I might miss my flight.

So I carried my purchases with me and presented it air side for inspection, where there was no queue.

I think queue for VAT back depends on time of day.

SQ317 lunchtime departure.. no queue.

VAT Refund in foreground. Show your purchases at customs office in background ( under yellow signage )

View from entrance into F Lounge. Computers by the wall on the left

View from far end. Buffet at far end.

I found the buffet comprehensive enough for me..

The Menu..

I ordered the laksa from the menu. Bland...

Comment

In my out of date experience, best salt beef sandwich is at Selfridges Food Hall.
                  One of my favorite treats there (the other being the nasi goreng in the Garden Cafe on the top floor).

If you like the salt beef sandwich, you should try the pastrami or corned beef sandwich in the Carnegie Deli the next time you're in NYC.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I was walking around yesterday (Saturday) and like in the above picture, there was a long queue waiting to get into the Apple store. Apparently it was for people with reservations for an iPhone ? Insane!

I can remember eating a salt beef sandwich at Selfridges once - it was just outside the food hall (besides a short flight of stairs going into the food hall). Is that the same place ? I can't remember though the salt beef being between what looks like two slices of Mother's Pride (as opposed to rye bread or a bagel).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      I can remember eating a salt beef sandwich at Selfridges once - it was just outside the food hall (besides a short flight of stairs going into the food hall). Is that the same place ? I can't remember though the salt beef being between what looks like two slices of Mother's Pride (as opposed to rye bread or a bagel).
                      That's the place. I think I recall being allowed to choose the bread for the sandwich. I've only had / chosen rye.
                      Last edited by jjpb3; 2 August 2010, 05:16 AM.

Comment

I found the buffet comprehensive enough for me..
                        For me as well. Plus I like the staff: I find them very personable.
                        Last edited by jjpb3; 2 August 2010, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                          One of my favorite treats there (the other being the nasi goreng in the Garden Cafe on the top floor).
                          I never get past the Food Hall ( cheese ) & Basement ( luggage ).

Must venture upstairs..

If you like the salt beef sandwich, you should try the pastrami or corned beef sandwich in the Carnegie Deli the next time you're in NYC.
                          The benchmark by which I judge all other salt beef sandwiches

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          I was walking around yesterday (Saturday) and like in the above picture, there was a long queue waiting to get into the Apple store. Apparently it was for people with reservations for an iPhone ? Insane!
                          I took the picture and left. Returned 9am on monday and it was empty

Personally, other breads detract from the taste of the beef.

There is a choice of breads though..

I love sitting by the window and watching the world walk by..

Note: M&S across the street

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                          For me as well. Plus I like the staff: I find them very personable.
                          So I'm not the only one to find the staff in SKL LHR incredibly friendly..

Comment

The Take Off

This is my favourite flight leaving London.
                            1. I still have a full day in London
                            2. It departs 630pm so I can take a relaxing dinner before going to sleep
                            3. Only SQ flight LHR-SIN that can do redemption upgrade J to F

Unlike my last trip, we board at gate 1 which is a short walk from the lounge

9V-SWF..

Today we beat CX250 & AA107 to the runway..

Last trip.. TR:SIN-CDG-LHR on A380; LHR-SIN on 77W

I caught a glimpse of this BI aircraft as we roared down the runway and thought maybe it was one of the ex-SQ 772s.

But when I got home.. looks like a A310?

We catch a last glimpse of LHR as we bank to the left..

I spot the Thames Estuary again as we fly over Kent..

Dinner is served over Europe...
                            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 February 2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Dinner

The Menu

I tried to follow Gordon Ramsey's recommendations as much as I could but I find my tastes are different..

Satay

The Stage is set...

Chilled Malossol Caviar. I prefer chai tow kuay. I'm a bit of an Ah Beng that way...

White onion soup with parma ham and rosemary crouton

Salad

Veal loin in a blanquette sauce. It was OK...

.. but I regretted not ordering the Thai green curry duck.

I mentioned it to the LSS & she offered to serve me that too but I was too full. BTW load was 8/8.

Bitter chocolate tart

Cheeses

You will notice my unfinished glass of Dom. It's been sitting on my table since the caviar. Tried it. I prefer Diet Coke!!!

The food ex-LHR is exceptionally good. If I could preview the menu before the flight, I wouldn't have to BTC.

As things were, I saved my BTC till later...
                              Last edited by 9V-SIA; 22 August 2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

View from entrance into F Lounge. Computers by the wall on the left
                                VS lounge no more?
                                ________
                                Penny Stock Pick
                                Last edited by j.lin; 13 March 2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X