No announcement yet.

SIN-FUK-SIN by 772 and Review of Grand Hyatt Fukuoka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENCORE.....!!! ENCORE....!!! ENCORE....!!!
    (standing applause...!!!)

Comment

Impressive TR!

Miss Japan more and more after reading this...

Cheers!!
      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by fumitani View Post
        I would suggest you to go to Hiroshima. No matter where you go during sakura people are going to be there in crowds...
        Thanks for your suggestion, fumitani. Unfortunately I've already booked my hotels for Nara. I've never been to Nara but I think it should be good despite the crowd. Hiroshima and Miyajima would be really pretty with the sakura. Why didn't I think of that? The train from NRT to Nara takes about 322 mins and to Hiroshima 400 mins. Not much further it seems!

Originally posted by kpc View Post
        You really do love your food, don't you
        Love all the food pictures
        Must follow in your footsteps as i did in Barcelona
        And we're see another TR from you on FUK too?

ONe of these days one of us might write a TR with the title 'Following in 9V-SIA's footsteps in XXX (destination).'

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        Watched "An Education", which I highly recommend. It's still on this month..
        Always 'an education' for everyone. People we meet these days are not really who or what they claim to be once we dig a little deeper!

I watched that "Departures" movie too. Have been wondering what that tasty thing was. Now I know!

Ha Ha! I know I'm long winded... OK I'll wrap it up with the trip home.
        Finally complete? Thanks for an interesting and enjoyable read. Great mouth-watering food pictures.

Comment

I really enjoyed reading this report! Well done, and thank you!

Comment

nice trip report.

going to enjoy my next 2 days in FUK.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              *rises to feet*

Well done, very good TR

5-stars!
              Revisit it. Plenty to do.

Just have to do your homework.

There are places where foreigners are not allowed to go. Start researching that!

Loved the countryside.

Originally posted by kpc View Post
              You really do love your food, don't you
              Love all the food pictures
              Must follow in your footsteps as i did in Barcelona
              I left the "Yatai" stalls for you to photograph.

Too wet, windy & wintry to stand on the street to eat when we were there!

Originally posted by jhm View Post

A very enjoyable read, thank you very much, 9V-SIA!
              Hope you enjoy your visit.

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
              ENCORE.....!!! ENCORE....!!! ENCORE....!!!
              (standing applause...!!!)
              Go visit FUK. You won't be disappointed

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
              Impressive TR!

Miss Japan more and more after reading this...

Cheers!!
              I miss Japan even when I'm in Japan!

Originally posted by hsf View Post
              I really enjoyed reading this report! Well done, and thank you!
              Thanks! I like eating holidays more than ski holidays.

Originally posted by sunnyday View Post
              nice trip report.

going to enjoy my next 2 days in FUK.
              So how's the weather in FUK?

Comment

nice and cool..also staying at the grand hyatt..beautiful hotel i must say..too bad going back tomorrow..last chance for japanese food tonight

Revisit it. Plenty to do.

Just have to do your homework.

There are places where foreigners are not allowed to go. Start researching that!

Loved the countryside.

I left the "Yatai" stalls for you to photograph.

Too wet, windy & wintry to stand on the street to eat when we were there!

Go visit FUK. You won't be disappointed

I miss Japan even when I'm in Japan!

Thanks! I like eating holidays more than ski holidays.

So how's the weather in FUK?

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyday View Post
                  nice and cool..also staying at the grand hyatt..beautiful hotel i must say..too bad going back tomorrow..last chance for japanese food tonight
                  You really got to try the Montsunabe... Crazy good.

Comment

Thank you. Due to the latest change in plans (flights to CTS cancelled; now visiting an anatomy festival near Tokyo followed by a week in Kyushu I think), I should be in FUK early next week. Your guide will be invaluable!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Thank you. Due to the latest change in plans (flights to CTS cancelled; now visiting an anatomy festival near Tokyo followed by a week in Kyushu I think), I should be in FUK early next week. Your guide will be invaluable!
                      Please contact me here or the other place and I will be happy to meet up with you!

Comment

Many thanks to QSG for the 5+ hour walking tour yesterday evening of central Fukuoka from a former local's perspective! It was very interesting indeed to learn about the various areas and how they've changed over the past few decades as well as insights into what life in Japan is actually like.

I particularly liked Daimyo with its small chic shops, bars and restaurants (Fukuoka's Harajuku) compared to nearby bustling Tenjin; and also Maizaru Koen with its castle ruins and where we were lucky enough to find some sakura remaining. Fukuoka to me seems compact enough to pleasantly walk around (or perhaps even ride a bicycle which many of the natives do). And finally, not to forget also the BBQ pork ribs (with plastic gloves supplied) and kimchi with a fierce kick we had from Yakiton and the food in other places!
                        Last edited by jhm; 7 April 2010, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Just some additional notes on the Grand Hyatt to add to what 9V-SIA has helpfully posted:

1 My room faces the canal (not Canal City) side and behind that, Nakasu - the largest entertainment district in Japan west of Osaka (although I couldn't hear or see a thing from my room other than the sight of taxis frequently disppearing into the area). Just a 5-minute stroll from the hotel along the bank of the canal (turn right on leaving the hotel if facing the canal; stay on the hotel's side of the canal rather than crossing over a bridge into Nakasu) are the yatai (food stalls) which open in the afternoon until past midnight for cheap but tasty food.

2 Even if one has no Gold Passport status (like me), it is still worth joining so that:

(a) you can sign up for any free night promotions running;
                          (b) the swimming pool and spa is half price (becoming JPY 1,050/day/person although it's free if you're staying in a club room or a suite); and
                          (c) complimentary coffee or tea ordered from room service each morning.

3 I believe the hotel is called Gurando Hayato in Japanese (which you pronounce something like gu-lan-doe ha-ya-toe) so say that if you need to catch a taxi (about 700 JPY) from the taxi rank at Fukuoka Hakata JR station outside the Hakata exit.

4 Internet access in the room appears to be free but it's not wifi and there's nothing at all on the desk for connection. After some searching, I found the Internet box plus cable in one of the unmarked drawers by the desk.

5 There is a turndown service but it appears to be on-demand only (there's a little card by the bed saying that if I want to request this service, I should call them).

6 My room rate includes breakfast - a choice of the buffet restaurant on the ground floor, the Japanese restaurant or an American room service breakfast.

7 After being accustomed to them in the places I stayed in in Tokyo and Osaka the last few days, there's no heated toilet seat here! (The toilet in the place in Osaka was so advanced that even its flush function was electronically controlled!) (Edit: strange - the loo seat is warm today!)
                          Last edited by jhm; 8 April 2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

You are most welcome JHM...it was my pleasure! And thank you for treating me to drinks at the wine bar and the Grand Hyatt !!! I am glad you liked Yakiton, the Daimiyo wine bar and the ramen shop (even if it wasn't Ippudo)! Hope you made out OK on the Nishitetsu train to Dazaifu to see the Tenmangu and the Kyushu National Museum ! Have a great time in Nagasaki, Kumamoto, and Kagoshima! When in Kumamoto try the karashi renkon, and basashi (although you probably know this already)!

Comment

I asked my friend why he retired to FUK.

Main thing is he married a local.

But he gave me other reasons why FUK is a good place for Japanese to retire to.

Reasons to retire to FUK
                              1. It's a nice size city ( approx 2 million people )
                              2. Low crime rate
                              3. No traffic jams
                              4. Cost of living cheaper than Honshu ( and Singapore )
                              5. Not very active earthquake zone for Japan
                              6. Easy access to countryside

Comment

Time to go to Busan:

Dec to end Feb

Things to eat:

Spider crab in season. Cheap at SGD$80/kg.

Eat the meat then roe gets made into fried rice

Also Sangaetang: Korean Ginseng Chicken Porridge
                                I should be in Korea in end Aug/Sept. What to eat? What's in season? Is it worth getting to Busan from Seoul?

Comment

Working...
                                X