No announcement yet.

SIN-FUK-SIN by 772 and Review of Grand Hyatt Fukuoka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in kagoshima when the volcano erupted.
    It shook my house and we all thought it was an earthquake only later did we realize that the volcano erupted

Comment

Sakura are in full bloom in Hakata/Fukuoka city too bad about the rain!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ect-shots.html

Martin Rietze seems like an interesting guy! His photos are really good too. I wonder what equipment he's using.
        Wow! Great photography! And to think I only read Daily Mail for the bikinis and cleavage

Kagoshima sounds really good though. I thought it would be nice to make a detour to FUK.
        Friends did one week self-drive holiday in Kyushu and recommended it. English GPS available.

Would you be organising a winter DO in Japan for us? Perhaps in Hokkaido? You could go skiing. I was thinking of going over to Kushiro to see some cranes and swans. We could then meet up in Sapporo or Hakodate for some food.
        You may notice a lot of my trips end up being Plan B. However...

Plan A for december is Hokkaido ski trip straddling X' mas:

1. SIN-KIX-CTS.

Want to see other cities in Hokkaido but with time constraints, may end up only at the ski resort.
        If so, see other cities during other seasons.
        Friend wants to see cranes. Post your pics if you happen to catch them.

2. CTS-KIX.

Stay a few days in Osaka otherwise tiring return trip

3. KIX-SIN

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        I was refraining from commenting till you finished the TR but I have to say:" Keep it coming!"

Yes, we must have a SQT Japan Do and please invite E63 as well. StarG & I will probably fight for a ride
        Japan really is my favorite destination.

I don't like spending half the holiday getting over jet lag.

Seems to get worse as you age...

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
        I was in kagoshima when the volcano erupted.
        It shook my house and we all thought it was an earthquake only later did we realize that the volcano erupted
        That's something you don't hear often in Singapore!
        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 25 March 2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

lovely one!!

Comment

Great TR

Thank you so much for your TR. Had so much fun learning about Kyushu.

My wife was born in Tokyo but spent most of her growing years in Nagasaki and Kagoshima. My parent in laws now stay in Kagoshima and I visit them twice a year. My wife and I are bringing my now 3 month old daughter back to Kagoshima in May for her first visit to her maternal grandparents.

Your TR brought back memories of the great food, beautiful scenary, and the wonderful people there. Thanks so much

Comment

Thanks for another stellar TR, 9V-SIA.
              F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

leo, GLAM82, SQJunkie. Thanks. Glad you're enjoying the TR

I was not going to include our first dinner in FUK in the TR because pictures of the meal did not look very appetizing. But it was delicious!

However, my wife says it is the most significant meal we had so...

Hakata Motsunabe

It is a style of cooking unique to Fukuoka. Other cities have since produced their own version but Fukuoka was the first.

The broth, made from beef or pork intestines, is fantastic.

Has more flavor than usual for a Japanese dish ( shabu shabu comes to mind ).

It is a dish with strong Chinese influence - they give you Hokkien Mee at the end

Yamanaka Honten

The place to eat motsunabe. Honten means main branch.

You need to book to get a place. Only tatami seating ( folded legs, no footwell!) which was challenging.

Front of restaurant Raining so taken from under cover

Entrance

The Tatami tables

Beef cheek stew

The raw materials

Whoa. Just looking the next two pictures brings back the aroma and taste of the broth. Die die must try!

Hokkien mee to end suggests Chinese roots

Comment

Is the TR now complete? Is it the right time for me to thank you for the interesting read (as always)?

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  Wow! Great photography! And to think I only read Daily Mail for the bikinis and cleavage
                  I don't know about the Daily Mail for bikinis and cleavage but I know the Sun has lots of tits and boobs. The Daily Mail has lots of xenophobic views
                  which I disagree with.

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  You may notice a lot of my trips end up being Plan B. However...
                  2. CTS-KIX.
                  If Plan A goes ahead, you could organize a Kinki Winter Do in KIX.

What's Plan B?

I'm still undecided about my Japan trip! Would E63 or anyone else here know whether Kagoshima is not full of ash and gas now? I don't know where to go for the sakura now. Tokyo, Nara and Kyoto would be so crowded when I'm scheduled to be there and I hate crowds. I thought I could perhaps skip the crowds and have a nicer time in Kagoshima and Kyushu. As I mentioned before, your TR has made Kyushu so tempting. I look at your food pics on my BB while lying in bed and I go to sleep dreaming about food!

Comment

Motsunabe

9V-SIA, I was just about to mention the Motsunabe. I agree that it is the best I have ever eaten, and I just dream of eating it again back in Singapore.
                    I can't remember the name of the shop I went to, but it was walking distance of Hakata Station and I was amazed because there was a big group of Singaporeans eating there.

My wife now understands the power of Singaporean's noses and info with regards to food. She's amazed that we know how to find good food in Japan, and she's not talking about the big restaurants but the small eateries that would seem impossible to find on the map.

Comment

Is the TR now complete? I don't know where to go for the sakura now. Tokyo, Nara and Kyoto would be so crowded when I'm scheduled to be there and I hate crowds.
                      I would suggest you to go to Hiroshima. No matter where you go during sakura people are going to be there in crowds...

Comment

Is the TR now complete?
                        Ha Ha! I know I'm long winded... OK I'll wrap it up with the trip home.

The Airport

Approach to the International Terminal. A short 10 minute taxi ride from GH Fukuoka. Cost 1,800¥.

Interesting roofline..

The kerbside was full of Japanese tour buses. My plane was full of Japanese tour groups, including a school trip.

I'm told they like the red eye back to FUK so that they can go straight to work from the airport.

The Old Terminal is now the Domestic Terminals 1, 2 & 3 on the other side of the runway.

Departure Hall ( Landside )

Do your last minute shopping here before you clear immigration.

Don't see many cut-out models these days.

Used to walk into the SQ Office on Regent Street, London to admire the detail..

This one was at the SQ check-in counters

Departure Hall ( Airside )

Went to the NH Lounge. Very basic. Beverages, some dry cakes and packets of Japanese nuts.

My ride home 9V-SRO. Luckily an AVOD equipped 772. Essential for day flight..

Domestic Terminal in the background.

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 26 March 2010, 11:02 PM.

Comment

FUK-SIN

Front of the 772

AVOD control. Compare it with the non-AVOD one on my SIN-FUK flight..

Watched "An Education", which I highly recommend. It's still on this month..

Western menu

Japanese option

Am I the only one who prefers the old style satay presentation?

Old style.. on 772 & 744

New style.. on 77W, A380 & A345

Hanagoyomi

Cold udon noodles and miso soup ( background )

Azuki ice cream with green tea sauce. Thawed to prefection

Cheese plate.

Don't normally last to this point but I didn't have breakfast at the NH Lounge. There wasn't any breakfast on offer!

Conclusions

Thanks for your inputs.

It is greatly appreciated as more minds are better than one.

A successful holiday for me is one where:
                          1. my horizons have been widened
                          2. I'm well rested after the holiday to resume the rat race ( sometimes I'm exhausted!)
                          3. I want to return to the holiday destination for more!

All my criteria were met.

I'd also like to pay tribute to the outstanding crew that serve me in both ways,

and to that great a/c, the 772, still loved.... by me at least

In one month's time ( 28 April 2010 ), a new era will dawn as the A330 takes over the SIN-FUK run..

THE END

PS Thanks for a great time E63 and family!!! We would not have had such a great time without you...
                          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 27 March 2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

*rises to feet*

Well done, very good TR

5-stars!

Comment

You really do love your food, don't you
                              Love all the food pictures
                              Must follow in your footsteps as i did in Barcelona

Comment

Originally posted by fumitani View Post
                                No matter where you go during sakura people are going to be there in crowds...
                                Precisely why phaleesy is heading to Nara, Kyoto etc to get crushed and I will be heading in the opposite direction to Hokkaido (no sakura but also no crowds)!

A very enjoyable read, thank you very much, 9V-SIA!

Comment

Working...
                                X