Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One camera, one lens, three nights: Oslo, Norway.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great report as usual.

Comment

So far so good with our travel arrangements and Oslo arrival, but upon embarking on writing this trip report I had originally thought about digging a little bit more into the culture, behavior and psychology of our friends, colleagues, hosts or whatever else here: the Norwegians.

I have been working with Scandinavians and Norwegians in particular, for almost four years now. They are a rare breed. Being in the ranks of a Norwegian international and truly multi-cultural organization I admit there is something special about these people. Of course my journey with them has not been a very long one, and most important, you never know how long it will last.

Lately I admit I found out a few things which are pretty striking and you would not expect to discover about them unless you come and spend a considerable amount of time here in Norway. As a result, premature conclusions are to be avoided at best and I reserve rights to write a piece on this anytime soon, and only after having sufficiently enriched my cultural experiences with this part of the world.

To summarize and close this trip report promptly, I will therefore lay out here selectively (the list is way longer) few things that remained with me after my first three-day visit in Norway.

First: The organization of the Norwegians and the order in which (at least apparently) the society here functions; their very well developed and maintained social welfare system (that is a well known fact worldwide, actually, and I should write a special piece in order to elaborate more here.)

A man exercises on a indoors rowing machine, right next to the building where he works.

Second: The presence of, too many I should say, immigrants in the city center. Many of these people wandering around, giving you a feeling you are not that safe in some areas, especially at late evening or night time. I have been hearing over the last couple of years my expatriate colleagues occasionally complaining about this, that some particular immigrants are doing this and that (thefts, crime activity, etc.) and that they literally take full advantage of the excellent welfare system that pays out very high benefits. While we should definitely not generalize any situation and draw conclusions without having studied any phenomena to detail and with accuracy and fairness, I had to come and see it first hand here – true, but still, best is to make a comment or draw a preliminary conclusion after having spent at least some time in this country.

On the way to take the airport express train.

Third: The easiness with which I could go out and take pictures. While if you try to shoot people from close distance can instantly make them disturbed and start putting their hands in the way of them and your camera (and that is to be expected with Norwegians), I had no issue whatsoever taking pictures in airports, train stations, and in the city in general. I liked that, and it may not seem to be a big deal but I think that in other parts of the world it could well be. Therefore I felt very good and comfortable here in Norway with respect to that.

Our train arrives promptly. In approximately 50 minutes we would be at the airport, having also done a stop at Oslo’s central station.

Fourth: The 159NOK (approx. Eur 20) spaghetti Bolognese I had at the airport shortly before my flight. I knew prices are very high here and I feel I have to mention this (though I am sure you know it already.) Pity I did not take it a picture… Was so hungry as whole day had been spent on a day’s stay at our hq (networking, see colleagues I had been working with in South Korea, meet with staff I frequently deal with but never had the opportunity to meet them in person and say ‘thank you’ for all their support and service all those years, etc.) Day was so full I did not even had time to have lunch, it went like a split second and to be honest I loved it…

Back at the airport.

Fifth: A very nice and cozy Italian café-restaurant at the city center; I do not remember the name of it or its location in a fairly quiet part of the city but it looked like a place I should visit next time.

Proceeding to departures at Oslo’s airport (situated on the upper level.)

Sixth: The special covers for sports shoes, so that you can run/jog in snow and/or ice. Did not know something like this existed, and unfortunate to find out on the day of my departure, having no time to go the shops and get a pair.

One last shot of the arrivals level at Gardermoen.

I proceed to check-in. Automatic check-in at the computerized kiosks does not work for me, once again. I go to the desk, which has just opened. Agent takes my passport, checks details, asks in pleasant manner if I have any items to check-in, I answer “No.” She then presses a couple of buttons, and my BP is ready (did you want to be asked about window or aisle seat, Mr. N_Architect? Don’t ask for too much here, mister…) Yep, 19D is for me now, whether I like it or not…

During boarding of our flight to RIX.

Fortunately the plane is at most half full, so I board nearly last and settle myself alone at one of the last five rows of the BT 737-500; all is well now.

And off we go again.

Taxiing for take-off, all seatbelts fastened...

Ready for take-off. Goodbye Oslo.

So that is it, folks. Thank you all for reading.

I hope you enjoyed this TR as much as I enjoyed walking the city, taking those pictures and writing all about it. Needless to say, any comments or feedback that would enable me to improve on what I include or how I present everything I felt, experienced or captured, is more than welcome.

And stay tuned – more to come after every trip that N_Architect does!

90 minutes later, back in RIX, at -14 deg. C.

Comment

Originally posted by Paint Horse View Post
        Great report as usual.
        Thank you, Paint Horse.

Comment

Great report and pictures! Yes Norway and Norwegians are pretty special in their own way and even after 4 years in Norway I don't think I have even scratched the surface when it comes to understanding them!
          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Haha! Great report, nice to see OSL all covered in snow... I should get cracking and finish my own OSL report now... hehe, thanks for the motivation!

Comment

Pinkfloyd: Thank you, was to PM you while in Oslo but with all this and that (meetings, dinners, etc.) it was kind of hard to be certain scheduling a time in order to go and have a drink. Will come again, though, soon and hopefully next time we'll manage to meet.

Kyo+: Thank you as well, let's see that Norway TR of yours moving on, then!

Comment

No problem, I'm in the south (4 hours away) but if you let me know a day or so in advance I can work something out. Unless I'm back in Asia, as with the last DO in OSL!
                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Enjoyed the TR!! But I quite enjoy the topical diversions too!

Good to seeing you taking the 5DMkII to the streets!!
                  blog

Comment

Great TR N_Architect, very much enjoyed your photographs, but what's with all this new Canon business,...thought you were going down the path of the little red dot?

Comment

haf: Thank you for the nice words, especially for the mention on topical diversions.

nickbot: Thank you. The original plan was to move into the red dot camp in November 2010 (buying the gear in New York.) Till then though I have, as you can see, few chances of traveling, thus exploring, recording, describing. I did not want to miss these chances.

With some pretty good lenses I currently have in my hands, I sat down, thought about it, and said to myself: OK, first of all, you have never tried a Leica. You need to try one before you buy. Secondly, since I already have these Canon lenses, and till I try (and possibly buy) the Leica, is it not a pity to have them lying around instead of using them? The purchase of a 5D Mark II will reveal their true capabilities, and if the combination is still too heavy or not to my taste for whatever other reason, then I simply walk out of the 35mm dSLR camp completely.

Of course this is not the case any more, as you saw from what I shot in Oslo. I will therefore now keep the best of the lenses I have, and along with the 5D Mark II it will be few items only that will remain. Then in November this year I will see if I should also move to the Leica camp; if not, perhaps in 2011. There is no hurry. I was not planning to get the M9 anyway, target was (and still is) a film all-mechanical rangefinder, the MP, paired with a couple of lenses.

Now that I do have a full frame camera of very good resolution, ISO performance and reasonable weight, a camera that can be combined with a couple of excellent lenses for travel, I am actually fine - there are not many excuses left for not going out and shooting mercilessly anymore.

Comment

Some really nice photos you've got there, N_Architect.

I'd like to see some of these pictures in a higher resolution. Is there a link to flickr or other sites we could go to?

I'd get to play with my new toy in SFO this Sat. I'm so excited!!! I took a risk and bought a refurbished one from Adoroma. Not an international warranty obviously.

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                        there are not many excuses left for not going out and shooting mercilessly anymore.
                        You're such a hunter, N_Architect!
                        Last edited by phaleesy; 26 January 2010, 10:39 AM.

Comment

[IMG]

Having a 98% viewfinder coverage and still missing the ‘O’ of the ‘Operaen’ from the frame.
                          How the hell did I manage doing that I still to this day cannot explain…
                          You were distracted by the pink lady?

Comment

Haha that was a good one, phaleesy.

The pictures are up in photobucket in the resolution that you see.. Therefore in there you will not be able to see anything in more detail. You are very right, though, I was thinking multiple times to ask you guys whether these pictures here are small or not (they are 450 x 300 usually) and for me for example they are very very small (I have a 1920 laptop screen at home...)

I can for sure post some in higher res (I know 800x600 would for example be much more enjoyable) but I would have to watermark them here. An alternative would be to batch process some through Photoshop and the post them in my website, then send you the address link. Which ones were you particularly interested in?

Congrats on your new toy, by the way!

No, I was not distracted by the lady in pink, she wasn't sexy or beautiful...

And thank you for the word 'hunter' - I like that.

[by the way, right now as I write these lines I am in my apartment with a ...hunter girl ]

[and she just put some whiskey in our hot tea cups (12:30am here now) and said 'come here to drink whiskey with tea or plain!]

[she's just had a shower and wears only a towel at the moment around her]

So for once again N_Architect's TRs take an unexpected turn!!!!!!!! haha

Comment

An alternative would be to batch process some through Photoshop and the post them in my website, then send you the address link. Which ones were you particularly interested in?

[by the way, right now as I write these lines I am in my apartment with a ...hunter girl ]

I think I would like to see them on your website, if that's okay with you. I'd have a closer look at the pictures after I've sorted out my tax returns, work stuff, travel stuff, etc at the end of the week, then let you know which ones I'm interested in. Would like to know what ISO, apertures, exposure times you were using, and to see the noise level at different ISOs.

I think you need to tell me what a hunter girl is! Please elaborate that in PM.

Yes, your TRs are always unexpected and naughty.

Comment

[and she just put some whiskey in our hot tea cups (12:30am here now) and said 'come here to drink whiskey with tea or plain!]

[she's just had a shower and wears only a towel at the moment around her]

I must apologise in advance for my dirty mindedness, but may I ask if there will be a TR on your evening encounter, with photographic illustrations of the 5D Mark II's capabilities?

...purely from a standpoint of how the camera performs in a low light/fast moving action situation of course

Comment

Working...
                                X