No announcement yet.

Birthday trip! KUL-SIN-DPS-SIN-KUL Candidasa, Ubud & Seminyak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guys - a short intermission, i'm currently on a trip around europe for 2 - 3 weeks or so... updates soon...

cheers from athens

Comment

Tanah Lot

So we took a little trip to Tanah Lot to find out what the big hoo-haa was about.

In hindsight, it was a catastrophe as our little trip coincided with the local school holidays - endless stream of people! Nevertheless here are some shots!

"Wildlife" in abundance!

This one was one photogenic duck!

The coastline around the temple..

And the hordes of tourists!

Little artefacts

And last but not least, the compulsory shot of Tanah Lot...

Last edited by leo; 10 August 2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

leo, I have no clue as to how I missed this awesome TR. Well done and some great pictures!

You really didn't like Ibu Oka? What was your gf's take?
        HUGE AL

Comment

HUGE AL, thanks for reading and the compliments

Ibu Oka was nice, just not WOW like some people put it out to be. I did like it, but the spiciness (I think it was the vegetables) killed the tongue.

Perhaps, we have similar food in Malaysia and that's the reason that it was not mind-blowing as some would have put it.

Gf liked it too, but wasn't completely mesmerised

Comment

La Lucciola, Petitenget

La Lucciola - a restaurant synonymous with quality food in a beautiful setting in Petitenget remains my favourite restaurant on the Island of Bali.

The restaurant itself is set a few metres from the shore, with two gazebo-style building - the restaurant proper and the bar on the right of the restaurant.

Natural breeze is the order of the day, no air conditioning (the way it's supposed to be anyway )

The surroundings of the restaurant is beautifully landscaped with simple palm fronds and tropical plants.

The restaurant proper was made entire of wood over two floors. We arrived late without a reservation and was fortunately seated at the back end of the restaurant on the first floor.

Menu for the evening:

Calamari fritti with rucola

Seafood pie with truffled mash

Handmade strozzapretti with Italian sausage and pancetta

Cheese platter (gorgonzola, tallegio, parmigiano) with walnut bread and sweets

This dinner was our final one in Bali and soon it was time to leave the beautiful island.

Thanks for reading and I hope you have obtained an inspiration to visit Bali. We certainly loved it and are returning soon.

Comment

Fantastic TR with great pics thanks for sharing it.

Comment

SQfg: Thanks for reading

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
                  And last but not least, the compulsory shot of Tanah Lot...

I loved your review - but I especially loved this picture. Any chance of a higher-resolution shot? This pic alone *might just* inspire me to visit Bali next year..

Comment

Ibu Oka was nice
                    Is that the place that has the roast pig?
                    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                      Is that the place that has the roast pig?
                      Post 11:

There were several "must do" things on our list in Ubud - one of them was to sample Ibu Oka's babi guling. Purportedly the best babi guling in Bali, it is essentially a whole pig roasted on the spit.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Fantastic report. Love the pictures of all the dishes. I'm literally drooling on my keyboard as I scroll through the thread. Friends have also told me to try the Babi Guling at Ubud, how long is the drive to Ubud?

Comment

Kyo: High resolution picture is downloadable here
                          Nick C: How long is the drive to Ubud from where?

Comment

leo: It is a stunning photo. Thank you! Really quite professional - are you a professional photographer? Or was it taken with just a normal camera + right place/right time?

Edit: Just studied the EXIF info, DSC-F828... a 'prosumer' tag may apply, I suspect?

Comment

Kyo: It's a HDR with 5 different exposures was playing around with the bracketing option.

Yups it's a DSC-F828, old camera with quite a good lens, only thing that annoys me is the purple fringing which is quite apparent at the edges..

Comment

Nick C: How long is the drive to Ubud from where?
                                Opps. From Kuta beach?

Comment

Working...
                                X