• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HKG-BKK Part I -Check in and lounge

Emirates, flight No. EK 385 [HKG-BKK]
    Dep. 22:25, Arr. 00:05(+1)
    Boeing 777-300
    J Class, Seats 4J/K

This flight was to complete the outward part of our holiday journey, with the ultimate destination being Thailand. Our usual routing would be SQ Y from LHR-SIN-BKK and back, but obviously this year was rather different with our F redemptions. As I mentioned earlier on in the report, EK385 arrives at a relatively unsociable time into BKK (i.e. Suvarnabhumi) and is a multi-segment flight, heading onwards to Dubai. It was extremely competitively priced in J, at around half the price of TG, so we decided to go for it and forego the *A miles (we actually signed up for UA MP to collect miles on this flight, rather than see them go to waste, but doubt we'll end up using them!) As our onward flight to Khon Kaen was scheduled to depart from Don Muang (DMK) at 06:15 the next morning, we had rather an interesting accommodation solution planned, but more of that later -let's just say, this was to be the first of a few major class contrasts encountered during the trip!

Entering the check-in area at HKG

As the EK flight was so competitively priced, we expected it to be pretty full, and this certainly seemed the case (especially in Y). The queues for J check in were about 3 pax long (2 desks IIRC), but they moved pretty quickly as the F check-in desk was also processing J pax for this flight.

EK J Class check-in desks

Unseasoned premium class travellers that we are, this was the first time we'd ever received an official lounge invitation -little things please little minds!

EK BPs and Lounge invitation

We'd arrived in plenty of time (as per usual!), but this seemed to evaporate somewhat as we spent about half an hour looking around the shops in the check-in area and changing some HK$ into Baht. We then realised that we'd be better off relaxing in the lounge, so headed through security.

The location of the EK lounge was clearly marked on the reverse of the lounge invitation, and is located right next to the UA Red Carpet Club (in fact, you can see into the RCC from the EK lounge, will have to see if any of my photographs captured this).

EK lounge entrance

Immediately as you enter the lounge, there are the male and female bathrooms (more details later), then the reception desk lies straight ahead.

Lounge reception (dragon in hiding!)

First impressions were positive, an open balcony type design overlooking the tarmac (the view would've been far better during daylight hours of course), and plenty of seating. It transpired that plenty of seating was required, as the lounge filled up with pax pretty soon after we arrived, but not before we grabbed a couple seats overlooking the balcony.

Balcony and tarmac view -rest of lounge shown in reflection

View along the balcony towards the RCC, and path to gates below

When we had been admitted into the lounge, the lady on reception collected our lounge invitation -I asked if it would be possible to keep it as a souvenir and she said she'd check with her supervisor. She came over to us as we'd just sat down and gave us the invitation back (with a pen strike across it to prevent re-use), so I was very pleased. She asked if we'd be willing to complete a survey on the lounge facilities, which I agreed to since she'd accommodated my request to keep the invitation.

First things first, a quick visit to the buffet to grab a couple of glasses of champagne -once again, we were delighted to see that Veuve Clicquot was on offer (had read this on TOF).

Perfectly chilled Veuve Clicquot

Overview of beverage selection (soft drinks/beers in fridges below counter)

We then took it in turns to pop up to the buffet to grab a bite to eat before the flight. Obviously, I took the opportunity to take photographs, but it became increasingly difficult to get good shots as the lounge became really quite busy (to the level where there was a long queue for buffet food!)

Buffet selection I

Buffet selection II (soups)

Salad/cheese/dessert bar

The food offering was absolutely fine, nothing to shout from the rooftops, but certainly tasty enough to fill a gap. We were careful not to over-eat, as we knew we'd be getting an evening meal on the plane, but also we were conscious that it was getting late, so we didn't want to be full for trying to sleep. I'm glad, however, that we just beat the rush of pax into the lounge by about 15-20 minutes, as it became pretty hectic around the food service area.

Comment

• HKG-BKK Part II -Lounge continued

After eating, mrs nickbot used my laptop whilst I went to the reception desk to drop off the completed questionnaire and to have an explore around the lounge. Towards the far wall (neighbouring the RCC) there is a small computer room with (IIRC, my memory is fading quickly!) six computer terminals -all of which had really dodgy mousemats, which made using the optical mouse extremely difficult (couldn't do without, as the shiny desk surface didn't seem to be mouse-friendly!)

Business/Internet facilities

Lounge overview (business centre to far LHS)

Again, in the interests of SQTalk reporting, I visited the bathrooms (back out past reception, but still within the lounge) to take some photographs. As I've posted elsewhere, there are two cubicles (in the male bathrooms, presumably the same in the female side), each of which containing a shower and toilet. I had to wait for quite some time for a cubicle to become available, which could end up being quite inconvenient at busy times.

Washbasins, male lavatory

Toilet, showing handy karaoke microphone (perhaps that's why the last occupant took so long?!)

Shower -basic but functional

Close-up, showing MB toiletries

Interestingly, the handwash/lotion for the main washbasins (you can just make them out in my earlier photograph) wasn't by Molton Brown, but a look-alike brand (can't recall the details)

After my snoop around, I grabbed another two half glasses of Champagne and, along with mrs nickbot, we took a couple of seats in the business centre to while away the quarter of an hour left before the gate opened.

Checking out SQTalk of course!

After a pretty short internet catch-up session, the lounge attendent came round informing everyone that was flying to BKK that the aircraft was now boarding, and asked us to make our way to the gate. We ended up leaving the rest of our champagne (a pattern with the Veuve Clicquot unfortunately) and getting our carry on bags sorted. I grabbed a couple of small bottles of water and a can of Diet Coke and popped them inside my Tumi before we left the lounge and made our way to the gate.

en route to the gate

We actually wished we'd left the lounge a little earlier, as there was a branch of Muji on the way to the gate that was pretty interesting (many products, especially foodstuffs, that aren't sold in the UK branches), unfortunately we didn't have time to browse,...maybe next time!

EK385 (777-300) is a two class service (J/Y), and there is priority boarding for J pax. Boarding was well progressed as we reached the gate, with no queues for either J or Y boarding, so we were straight through in no time.

Gate 66

More tomorrow folks!
      Last edited by nickbot; 7 August 2008, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• HKG-BKK Part III -Boarding and take-off

Boarding was quick and easy, with the cabin crew welcoming us warmly. I suppose the first things that struck me about the J-class cabin was that it doesn't seem as cleanly designed as that of LH previously and also SQ. Perhaps this is an unkind comment, but you can perhaps see what I mean from the photograph below (maybe it's the seat pattern fabric that is so heavily represented in the photo that's clouding my memory/judgement!)

View of EK's J Class cabin from our seats (4J/K)

As we organised ourselves in preparation for the flight, mrs nickbot took to her window seat (we have to alternate in order to keep it fair!) and I retrieved bits and bobs from my rollalong before lifting it into the overhead locker,...only to be met by a drizzle of brown liquid coming from the wheels Yes, the can of Diet Coke that we'd taken from the lounge to drink later that evening once we reached BKK had obviously burst during the short (circa 5 minute) walk from the lounge to the aircraft! Queue frantic unpacking, isolation of the offending article, and use of the cold refreshing towels to clean up the interior of my bag. Luckily, nothing was damaged, which was a blessing because I had a laptop, camera etc. in there. The FAs were most helpful in giving me additional towels to clean the mess up, but the experience detracted from the general air of cool calm that I had possessed when we boarded.

Whilst we were still cleaning up the mess, we were asked what we would like for a pre-take off drink, to which we responded "Champagne please!", to which the FA responded by saying something that we didn't quite catch, and made her way back to the galley (not returning with any Champagne, but serving other pax with drinks) -we thought nothing of it, because we were pretty busy at the time.

Soon enough, I took my seat and started to absorb the atmosphere of the business class cabin (still a relatively new and rare experience for mrs nickbot and I, as we tend to exclusively fly in First Class these days don't you know? ) Whilst I'd been frantically cleaning my bag, the FAs had distributed amenity kits, headphones and menus/wine lists:

Amenity kits (strictly speaking, socks and eyeshades were distributed, toothbrush and shaving kits available in the lavatories

Menu/Wine list

Almost perfectly in synch, we heard the aircraft door close, and then a "pop" and it all made sense -the FA had presumably told us earlier that she couldn't serve Champagne until the doors were shut for taxi/take-off. Within moments of the pop, she was on her way with two glasses of Moet for the slightly stressed nickbots!

A welcome glass of bubbly after my cleaning task

Taxi commenced soon after, during which the FAs came around collecting glasses -once again, whilst we hadn't finished our Champagne, we were permitted to keep hold of the glasses. A completely new experience for me was that the central IFE screen was showing the view from a nose camera. Pretty exciting if you've never seen one before! I know other airlines have these, but this was the first time I'd encountered one "in the flesh".

Nosecam view of the runway, apologies for the poor photograph in the darkened cabin

Take-off was smooth (and interesting of course, with the added benefit of nosecam) -a shame really that this was a night flight, as we'd have seen a great deal more. As soon as the FAs "ping" indication went off, they started coming through the cabin with bowls of nuts and drink top-ups, we of course asked for two more glasses of Moet

Champagne, nuts (cold IIRC) and IFE screens

The IFE screens rose up from inside the arm rests using a pretty clever mechanism that one can probably see more clearly in my previous Champagne photograph -the sections that the glasses are resting on slide to the side, then a small shutter door slides backwards and the screen resides below. Naturally, with her history of difficulty in operating such complex systems, mrs nickbot required a helping hand to deploy her screen

Soon after distributing the bowls of nuts and drink top-ups, the FA that was working our section came over to take our dinner choices from the menu. I suppose in such a relatively short flight, it's pretty important to keep to a tight service schedule, but we never felt rushed at all. I'll continue with the dinner service in my next post...
        Last edited by nickbot; 8 August 2008, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• HKG-BKK Part IV -Dining experience and amenities

[EK J Menu and Wine list posted elsewhere]

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
          HKG-BKK, June 2008

Light Meal

Emirates invites you to enjoy its award-winning cuisine, complemented by the finest beverages. Meals served on this flight are Halal. We apologise if occasionally your choice is not available.

Appetiser

- Loch fyne salmon cured slices of Scottish salmon, served with caviar, quail eggs and sour cream
          - Oven-roasted lamb loin accompanied with orange segments and daikon cress, served with a mango chutney

Main Course

- Steamed fillet of ling fish with preserved vegetable in soy sauce, accompanied with Chinese greens, carrot flowers and steamed rice
          - Chinese style roast chicken coated with plum sauce, served with mixed vegetables and fried egg noodles with bean sprouts and spring onions
          - Grilled lamb rack topped with semi-dried tomatoes, black olives, lamb jus, accompanied with mashed sweet potatoes, sauteed pumpkin, green asparagus and baby squash

Dessert

- Orange chocolate mousse cake light orange-flavoured chocolate mousse cake, accompanied with fresh berries
          Both mrs nickbot and I opted for the salmon/caviar starter, whilst we deviated on our main course selection as she chose the Chinese style chicken and I went for the rack of lamb. As we made our choices, the FA said she would try her best to get us the salmon/caviar, but that she couldn't promise anything (only a limited number of meal choices loaded). Luckily for us, when she arrived back from the galley and gave us our meal trays, we were both given our starter of choice. As you will note from the photograph below, a tablecloth is laid on the tray table, and then the meal is brought out on a plastic tray.

Salmon and Caviar starter (dessert making an appearance too!)

In case you didn't believe me from the last photograph, yes there is some caviar there,...just needed a little macro to see it

Close-up of table decoration -a nice touch

The starter was just enough really, as we didn't want to be over faced with food before sleep once we arrived in BKK (especially when you see our accommodation later!) Starter plates were soon cleared, and the main course arrived; not a winner in the presentation stakes, but pretty tasty on both counts which is of course important!

My rack of lamb

mrs nickbot's Chinese style chicken

At this stage, mrs nickbot had switched to red wine (The Ned Pinot Noir, NZ), whilst I stuck to champagne. We'd only had a couple of glasses each in the whole flight, but were in good spirits as we were excited about returning to Thailand and seeing very good friends the next day. A good few laughs were shared, a fair proportion being at me rather than with me

nickbot demonstrating correct use of napkin clip in case of emergency depressurisation (see what she has to put up with? )

Finally, after the main course plates were cleared, dessert was the orange chocolate mousse cake (no other option, but suited us fine)

Chocolate mousse cake with berries

I think we were both pretty impressed with the catering for this flight, especially considering the low price we paid for our J class tickets. Service was pleasant and efficient, but didn't really have that SQ edge -I think I agree, again with my small sample size of 1, with comments made by others regarding the gelling of EK's FAs as a team. No complaints overall however.

After our tray tables were cleared, mrs nickbot settled in to watch Vantage Point, whilst I opted for a few comedy shorts. EK do have AVOD, but the selection of programmes isn't a patch on KrisWorld -this wasn't a great disadvantage on this short flight, but might be an issue for slightly longer hauls. In between programmes, I went for a bit of a walk around the cabin,...afraid I didn't make it down to Economy (aisles were busy with meal service), but in true nickbot style, I can of course present you with some pictures of the toilet!

Amenities on offer in J lavatories

Mystery sign (maybe it says "please don't steal too many toiletries Sir"!)

...naturally, I disobeyed the sign and availed myself of the toothbrush and shaving kits shown in post #197!
          Last edited by nickbot; 17 September 2008, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• HKG-BKK Part V -Arrival and one night in Bangkok

Soon enough on this relatively short hop, we were soon on approach into BKK. As we had last visited Thailand in May 2006, this would be our first time arriving into Suvarnabhumi (all previous visits had been into Don Muang), so we were looking forward to seeing the "new" airport (new to us I mean!) Landing was once again shown on the central IFE screen, but no photographs this time I'm afraid. As it was just after midnight, our chances of seeing a great deal were of course limited.

Arriving into the gate at BKK

A final view of our seats (the chap behind obviously thinks I'm mad for taking a photograph of an empty seat!)

One of our first views at Suvarnabhumi

We proceeded through to baggage reclaim, and weren't waiting too long for our (priority tagged) bags to come through, thus we were soon outside in the beautifully warm evening and in the taxi queue.

I'll happily reiterate that we were both pleased with this flight experience, as it was great value for money. I would certainly recommend EK J on this route to others taking a similar redemption from Europe to HKG and then onto BKK (hint SQFG and thanks once again for the tip!) The only slight disadvantage for us was the late arrival time, and the fact that our onward flight to Khon Kaen (KKC) was departing a mere 6 hours and 10 minutes later from DMK, so our accommodation would end up being a little "interesting"...

One night in Bangkok -from Business Class to Zero Class

Our taxi ride over to Don Muang seemed to take only about 10 minutes, as the driver was driving so fast! There was little or no traffic about at that time of night, so we were soon at the Domestic terminal where we had planned to sleep the night. As we were dropped off, it was pretty difficult to actually get inside the airport, but we soon realised one had to take a lift up to the next level -the lift ride was an experience in itself, as it seemed to have a mind of its own, but we were soon able to access the terminal and scout out somewhere to sleep.

Naturally there was nothing open at the domestic terminal at that time (circa 01:30), I suppose that's to be expected if no flights were to be departing until 06:00 or thereabouts. I had the bright idea of walking over to the International terminal (as we had done many times in the past) in search of perhaps a coffee shop, but to my disappointment this is now completely blocked off. We therefore found a carpeted area to the left hand side of the security checkpoint, and staked out a corner space to bed down for the night. Quite a few other pax were also sleeping on the floor a little further round the corner, but I think we had a better spot, as with our baggage trolley and my Tumi we were able to enclose ourselves off a little bit!

mrs nickbot testing the ground!

...then modelling LH eyeshade with EK stickers

With our heads on one of our soft bags, and our feet on the other, it was actually quite comfortable (I don't mind sleeping on the floor generally, but do like to be a bit better prepared !) The two main problems that prevented us from having a good night's sleep were the piped music (on constantly throughout the night, and there was a speaker right over our heads), and the temperature, which was b****y freezing (oh how I wish I'd liberated a blanket from EK!) Thankfully, my Sennheiser headphones helped a little with the noise problem, but I wish I'd been smart like mrs nickbot and had kept a pair of the earplugs from our LH flight.

Happy couple before sleep

Slightly less happy couple after sleep!

I can't say I'd really recommend an overnight camp at DMK unless one was a little better prepared than we were, but it certainly served its purpose and saved some cash that would've been spent on a hotel room for perhaps only four hours at the most. We awoke feeling slightly refreshed (okay, okay, actually feeling pretty grotty!) and headed over to the check-in counters for our TG flight up north.
            Last edited by nickbot; 11 August 2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickbot View Post
              We actually wished we'd left the lounge a little earlier, as there was a branch of Muji on the way to the gate that was pretty interesting (many products, especially foodstuffs, that aren't sold in the UK branches), unfortunately we didn't have time to browse,...maybe next time!
              Muji in Asia does have different stock compared to the UK. (On the other hand, certain items stay in stock longer than in London than in Asia. ) It's one of my favorite stomping grounds when I'm in Singapore. Fortunately, my brother is patient about this quirk of mine, and I have a friend who's living in Singapore and equally appreciative of what Muji offers.

Your TR hasn't diminished in quality, nickbot. Thank goodness for the rest of us. Very impressive (as I'd have faded by now)!
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

...were sadly unable to finish our glasses...so they were set aside.
                After my snoop around, I grabbed another two half glasses of Champagne...
                We ended up leaving the rest of our champagne (a pattern with the Veuve Clicquot unfortunately)
                nickbot, need I remind you that this is a FAMILY FRIENDLY FORUM! Abuse of the alcohol like this is certainly much too violent for many of our viewers!

Perfectly chilled Veuve Clicquot

I spot some Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc (as well as their Pinot...which I've never had). Quite a steal for the $ and an awesome everyday White.
                HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  Muji in Asia does have different stock compared to the UK. (On the other hand, certain items stay in stock longer than in London than in Asia. ) It's one of my favorite stomping grounds when I'm in Singapore. Fortunately, my brother is patient about this quirk of mine, and I have a friend who's living in Singapore and equally appreciative of what Muji offers.
                  Two big fans of Muji here in mrs nickbot and I! Have never checked out the London store(s?), so my UK experience is limited to the Nottingham branch. Must remember to have a look when we next go to London (hint hint taipeiflyer!)

Originally posted by jjpb3
                  Your TR hasn't diminished in quality, nickbot. Thank goodness for the rest of us. Very impressive (as I'd have faded by now)!
                  Thank you so much Must say, I'm finding it difficult to fit writing into my work schedule, but after the EK flight is done there's a smattering of TG action and some moe hotels before the main SQ event!

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  nickbot, need I remind you that this is a FAMILY FRIENDLY FORUM! Abuse of the alcohol like this is certainly much too violent for many of our viewers!
                  Ahh I know, sorry HUGE AL, a pretty poor show from the nickbots! Will try harder next time
                  Last edited by nickbot; 8 August 2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• I grabbed a couple of small bottles of water and a can of Diet Coke and popped them inside my Tumi before we left the lounge and made our way to the gate.
                    Did you have to donate them to those nice people at the security check?

Keep it up Marathon Man

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                      I don't think EK (like SQ) will be subjected to secondary checks at the gate. So far secondary checks at the gate is only for US-based airlines from my experience departing from HKG.

For me, if I am taking SQ from HKG, I will grab a bottle of mineral water from the lounge and put into my laptop bag. If I am taking UA, I will be pretty thirsty when I am at the baggage carousel of my destination.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post

Keep it up Marathon Man
                        Originally posted by aerosmith View Post
                        I don't think EK (like SQ) will be subjected to secondary checks at the gate. So far secondary checks at the gate is only for US-based airlines from my experience departing from HKG.

For me, if I am taking SQ from HKG, I will grab a bottle of mineral water from the lounge and put into my laptop bag. If I am taking UA, I will be pretty thirsty when I am at the baggage carousel of my destination.
                        9V-SIA, aerosmith was correct, there were no additional security checks at the gate. We did have this in mind, and were prepared to wait outside the gate area and drink the Coke/water as we were reasonably thirsty, but this didn't turn out to be necessary.

Post #197 updated with the story of what actually happened to the can of Diet Coke

Comment

• Enjoyed the TR. Looking forward for 'the last but not least airline'

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            I spot some Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc (as well as their Pinot...which I've never had). Quite a steal for the $ and an awesome everyday White.
                            Their pinot is the same - highly recommended as a great value everyday red. A rather fruity, jammy style of pinot.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Interestingly, the handwash/lotion for the main washbasins (you can just make them out in my earlier photograph) wasn't by Molton Brown, but a look-alike brand (can't recall the details)
                              Was it this one:

Luckily, nothing was damaged, which was a blessing because I had a laptop, camera etc. in there.
                              Wait a minute, I thought you leave the camera at home since you now use the N95...

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              Their pinot is the same - highly recommended as a great value everyday red. A rather fruity, jammy style of pinot.
                              KeithMEL is becoming quite the Sommelier!
                              Last edited by HUGE AL; 19 August 2008, 08:21 AM.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                                Was it this one:

[PLACEHOLDER FOR PIC]
                                Ahhh HUGE AL, you kill me, you really do

Originally posted by HUGE AL
                                Wait a minute, I thought you leave the camera at home since you now use the N95...
                                Picky picky! Following this particular trip, yes I do now leave my camera at home. This was the last chance the dedicated digital camera came on holiday with the nickbots. Of course, if I had an i-phone then I'd definitely still need a camera (but I'm too sensible to go down that route )

Comment

Working...
                                X