X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nickbot View Post
    Harbour view from the Star Ferry

Sun setting over Hong Kong harbour

Is it me or are both these photos just stunningly sharp? Well, the top more than the bottom.

OH...forgot: Damn placeholders!
    HUGE AL

Comment

Harbour view from the Peak

Nice clear view. I never managed to see a clear Kowloon cityscape despite going up the Peak 5 times.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
        Is it me or are both these photos just stunningly sharp? Well, the top more than the bottom.
        Originally posted by Nick C View Post
        Nice clear view. I never managed to see a clear Kowloon cityscape despite going up the Peak 5 times.
        Thanks for your comments regarding the photographs guys -I'm a complete convert to the Nokia N95 and as such leave my digital camera at home now. Nick C, I feel very lucky after reading your comment, our one visit and we get a great view

Originally posted by HUGE AL
        OH...forgot: Damn placeholders!
        I'm taking time out from my busy labwork to update the thread this afternoon! My research into coatings to improve the performance of orthopaedic implants will have to wait,...SQTalk is far more important

Comment

• Well ok, at least this is something. But don't discount my suggestion to skip sleeping. It would give you plenty of time to finish this TR.

Comment

• Posts #176 to #179 now populated

Comment

One thing that really struck us as being highly efficient was the line-up of trolleys at the airport station, awaiting pax with heavy bags:

Mr. & Mrs. T. Rolley and extended family patiently await the next train

Sometimes this can be too efficient. I always remember arriving at the airport station to find the line of trolleys a lit bit too close to the platform edge which made it very difficult for passengers to get out of the train

Comment

• A most excellent trip report, nickbot! Glad you liked the GS.

Btw, what camera do you use?

Comment

• Originally posted by kchika View Post
                  A most excellent trip report, nickbot! Glad you liked the GS.
                  Thanks kchika Plenty more to come (eventually!)

Originally posted by kchika
                  Btw, what camera do you use?
                  Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                  Thanks for your comments regarding the photographs guys -I'm a complete convert to the Nokia N95 and as such leave my digital camera at home now.

Comment

• awesome report as expected! now seeing your pictures, I should have included HK in my RTW routing
                    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

• Thanks, nickbot!

I've been to Hong Kong many times over the years and I always enjoy a trip up to the Peak (usually by car as the tram is a pain to queue up for). Next time, if you're not so rushed, there's a path around the top which you can walk around (it takes about an hour or so from what I recall) - very romantic at sunset!

Did you enjoy the ride and the view on the train from the New Territories across to Lantau Island (where the airport is located) ? You cross the Tsing Ma bridge which is one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.

Comment

• nickbot, nickbot wake up, wake up. What did I tell you about wasting time sleeping. I don't care if it is 3 in the morning there. It is still early here. Get back to writing.

Comment

Harbour view from the Peak

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                          Originally posted by slacker View Post
                          H

View from the Peak.
                          Oh man, look at the difference b/w nickbot's pic and mine. Looks like my trip up to the Peak is wasted. Could not see much when I was there during CNY. It was that foggy throughout my stay in HKG.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Thanks, nickbot!
                            I've been to Hong Kong many times over the years and I always enjoy a trip up to the Peak (usually by car as the tram is a pain to queue up for). Next time, if you're not so rushed, there's a path around the top which you can walk around (it takes about an hour or so from what I recall) - very romantic at sunset!
                            Thanks for the tip jhm -we'll certainly consider visiting HKG again, especially if we can squirrel away enough BD miles for another LH trip

Originally posted by jhm
                            Did you enjoy the ride and the view on the train from the New Territories across to Lantau Island (where the airport is located) ? You cross the Tsing Ma bridge which is one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.
                            The train ride was excellent yes,...but I think I was probably half asleep because I don't even remember the bridge!! Shame really, because I very much enjoyed seeing it being built in "Extreme Engineering" on the Discovery Channel

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                            Oh man, look at the difference b/w nickbot's pic and mine. Looks like my trip up to the Peak is wasted. Could not see much when I was there during CNY. It was that foggy throughout my stay in HKG.
                            Thanks for the contrast slacker,...once again it looks like the nickbots were extremely lucky with the weather

Comment

The train ride was excellent yes,...but I think I was probably half asleep because I don't even remember the bridge!! Shame really, because I very much enjoyed seeing it being built in "Extreme Engineering" on the Discovery Channel
                              I think because you were "inside" the bridge

Comment

If I am not wrong, the train sort of travel underneath the road. IIRC, whenever the train traveled on the bridge, there is a slight 'pop' sensation in the ears.

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                                Thanks for the contrast slacker,...once again it looks like the nickbots were extremely lucky with the weather
                                Hai... Up till now, I am lamenting that the weather in Hong Kong could be better when I visited, although it was a very cool weather that time. With such good visibility, I am sure you would have enjoyed the view when taking the NgongPing360 skyrail. Most part of HKIA could be visible. This is wat I got that time:

Comment

Working...
                                X