Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China Airlines First Class Transpacific flights February 2013 RGN-TPE-LAX-TPE-BKK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soup
    Braised Chinese Soup – Conch & Chinese Herbs
    Or
    Chicken and Mushroom Consommé garnish with mushroom Panna Cotta, shimeji mushroom

Main Course
    Braised sea cucumber and meatballs in garlic sauce, Steamed Chicken with Chinese ham, Assorted mixed vegetables, steamed rice
    Or
    Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Bell Pepper, Duchess Potato, Red wine sauce
    Or
    Lobster Ravioli with Prawn
    Vegetable Bundle, Lobster Tomato Cream Sauce

The Bakery

Ciabatta Bread
    Brioche Roll
    Multi-Grain Roll
    Focaccia Roll
    Garlic Bread
    All served with homemade Butter

Sweet Finale
    Fresh Fruits of the season

Cheese Selections
    Authentic Almond Drink with Chinese deep fried donut (can be served warm or cold)
    Chocolate bread pudding, mixed berries, vanilla sauce

Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream

Unlike the lack of snack tray, an individual snack basket and Evian bottled waters were passed out after supper. The basket featured kumquat cake, two kinds of mixed snacks, 72% chocolate thins, and Sesame Oats crackers.

The cabin became busy after it reached the morning hours at LA time, and the busy F/A was serving drinks and snacks left and right. However I just stayed quiet, as I felt a bit tired and this trip was a very short one. Breakfast was served about two and half hours prior to landing.

Light Bites Menu
    Authentic Beef Noodle Soup

Deep fried pork cutlet with noodle soup

Chicken Wellington with salad
    Vegetarian Instant Noodle
    Cheese Platter
    Mixed nuts

I started with a cup of hot lemon tea.

Comment

Breakfast Menu
      Choice of juice: orange, apple or tomato
      Fresh fruits of the season

Cereals
      Drinking yogurt – strawberry flavored

Assorted breads served with butter and jam
      Carrot Walnut Muffin
      Almond Croissant
      Blueberry Scone
      Thick White Toast

Main Course
      Nutella bread pudding
      Mixed berries, pork loin, vanilla sauce
      Or
      Scrambled egg with crème fraiche
      Zucchini, tomato, chicken sausage, potato cake
      Or
      Plain Congee

I had the pork chop noodle soup with the light bites menu and the breakfast side dishes were served.

Homemade dishes:
      Sautéed green bean with minced pork (served chilled)

Pan-fried Chinese dried turnip omelet (served warmed)

Tofu with minced pork (served warmed)

Lotus root with shiitake mushroom (served chilled)

Shredded dry pork, home made steamed bun
      Traditional Taiwanese side dishes are available upon request
      101D-CI007F

Descent began at 5:36am Taipei local time, and we stayed at 36,000feet first, before descending further at 5:42am. It was a beautiful morning here at Taipei but it took a while to get sequenced into arrival, as most transpacific flights arrived at the early morning. Here was a beautiful shot of Taipei before arrival!

We landed on R/W5L at 6:09am and parked at Gate D7 ten minutes later. Due to the short transit time, I headed straight to transit checkpoint, which was quiet, as the San Francisco flight arrived even later than us. I guess one benefit in flying first class was to beat the queue.

February 24, 2013
      CI 833 TPE-BKK Lv0715 1005 Boeing 747-400 B-18202
      Transit at Taipei was very rush, due to the late arrival of the LAX flight. I was also caught by surprise that there was a last minute aircraft substitution. Instead of a three-class Boeing 747-400 used as a two-class seating (which means that I will get a F seat with J service), a real two-class Boeing 747-400 was used, but thankfully, they were all recently updated with the Boeing 777 style overhead bin and panels, and the new business class cradle seats. China Airlines also kindly blocked the seat next to me and I appreciate their efforts without me saying anything. Indeed, only the upper deck and our nose section was sold as business class, and the second section between door 1 and 2 are business class seats too, but today used as a premium economy section (sort of), and many elites are seated there but obviously got economy class service. I noticed that they used the economy blanket and the curtain was shut. I was hoping for the newest Boeing 747-400 with updated first class seat, but at least I got to try something new. With two seats, I am happy (but too tired to be upset).

Sky Priority boarding at A9

Boarding started late for no obvious reason, and I did not have time to trace the aircraft. I had a feeling that the flight possibly arrived late from Vancouver due to strong headwind, and it took a bit of time to clean the plane up. Two F/As were serving the nose section, and they were very friendly and gave the same attentive service, as one would expect in first class. We were all addressed by our last name, and Judy, the main F/A, is extraordinary and nothing seems to bother her. The purser is an older gentleman and also did his welcoming to all the elite passengers. You could choice of juices and water this morning, along with typical packaged snacks.

Unlike the Yangon flights, slippers were offered to passengers. I did not take any, as I still had my first class pair from the last flight.

Comment

Here is a few cabin shot before takeoff – please note that the overhead panel and overhead bins were updated with the Boeing’s signature interior (777 style).

Best seat in the cabin – 1AB & 1JK; however, there are less storage spaces, and you will have to put your hand carryon inside of the lockers in front of the cabin.

My seat 2A

Back of the seat

Due to our late boarding and some issues with seat assignments (last minute aircraft substitution and our flight was very full, as many passengers from last night’s diverted and delayed CI 5 were rebooked on this flight), door was closed late at 7:20am. We pushed back at 7:23am, and slowly taxied to R/W5L.

Comment

Busy Apron – China Airlines’ land

Boeing 747-400 B-18212 towing to the hangar to rest for a few hours

We took off at 7:37am. Flying time was three hours and thirteen minutes with a cruising attitude of 38,000feet. The routing took us towards Makung, and then into South China Sea and then passing the coastal city of Vietnam, Danang, and then passing Surin, and then into Bangkok.

View of Taoyuan airport

Breakfast was served after takeoff, and like most China Airlines’ regional business class meals on medium haul flights, the quality was okay, but I can’t help to feel that a glorified version of an economy class meal is served to me. The portion is also on the small side and I had to ask for an extra bread roll. I think China Airlines really needs to serve more food in its premium cabin.

Breakfast

Yogurt

Main Course
          Wok Fried Japanese Udon with Chicken and Tomato

Or
          Bacon, Cheese, and Spinach Frittata
          Broccoli, Mushroom, Tomato, Chicken Sausage, Hash Browns

Assorted Bread served with butter
          Croissant, Flaxseed Rolls – specially designed by Master Wu Pao-Chun

101B-833/834C

Please note that there is no hot towel service – only one round prior to takeoff. It is a bit unusual for an Asian airline to have only one hot towel service. I don’t expect SQ’s obsessive rounds of hot towels, but at least one round after the main meal service or prior to arrival.

Feature of seats

Comment

Divider

Seat in recline position (preset)

Seat in fully sleeping position

Comment

The new two-class Boeing 747-400 is nothing fancy, but definitely an improvement over three-class Boeing 747-400s. I love the light purple upholstery and I felt okay in the sleeping position. It is not full flat, but good enough and I do not feel like sliding down the seats, like EVA Air older generation of business class seats. Considered how China Airlines discounts its business class, I have no issue flying this particular plane to JFK via Kansai. The width is a bit of an issue but since I can lower one of the armrests, I am fine. I caught a short nap on this flight. However, if China Airlines really wants to regain its status in the Asian airline world, it really needs to install one of these new generation of full flat suite style seats, like EVA Air’s diamond laurel seats and CX’s new business class seat.

Descent began at 9:27am Bangkok local time (an hour behind from Taipei), and the F/A passed out a tray of juices and waters. We were using R/W1R this morning, so we needed to pass the airport and then turned around to line up with the runway. We landed on R/W1R at 9:50am, and then we parked at gate G4 at 9:59am.

Some farewell shot of the cabin:

Gulf Air Special Painted A330-200

Flight attendants – I had two different sets of crews on both flights. I was actually surprised at either a very short layover (one night) or generous layover (three nights) that China Airlines gives this Los Angles flights. Anyway, two flight attendants work first class, and they rotate throughout the night during the non-meal hours. They definitely are more experienced (and yes it means that they are older than your typical Asian airlines crews), but are very good in providing all the services. They really go beyond their means to please passengers, and I noticed that these passengers were pretty demanding with many requests, including complaining about dishes and the F/As all patiently came back with new entrée. I honestly believe that they know how little China Airlines has to offer these days but still feel proud of this airline and want the premium service to continue. That’s why they really go the extra step. I was addressed by my names on the last three segments (except the first flight), and the F/As all noticed my Delta’s elite plus status and inquired if it was my first China Airlines flight. It is also interesting to note that all four flights have male pursers, despite you don’t see any male F/A. For the transpacific flights, these four F/As were definitely top notch and provided very personal service. Nothing was ever too much, and they always asked if I wanted any refills before taking away empty glasses and cups. On the return flight, things got pretty busy towards the last five hours of the flight, and considered only one of them was on duty, it was a lot of work.

BTW, all China Airlines transpacific flights were code-share with Delta Air Lines and Vietnam Airlines. There is a Vietnamese speaking F/As on both flights, and Vietnamese announcements were made too (of course only the pre-takeoff and after landing announcements). Vietnam is obviously a big market for China Airlines’ transpacific flights.

Entertainment – China Airlines has audio video on demand and PTVs throughout the plane. It is okay and since I am Chinese and fan of Taiwanese TV, I am okay with the selection. However, it might be a bit weak for foreigners. The main complaint was the confusing way in operating the system. The system was slow to response to prompts, and it was not user friendly. It is confusing and on all the long haul flights, the F/As have to step in and teach passengers how to select movie. It will actually be great if they are touch screen, but they are not, even on the newer recently renovated two-class Boeing 747-400 on my last segment from Taipei to Bangkok. They do have one of the Taiwanese dramas (the whole season) in the system, but that drama has some characters working for China Airlines, so no surprise. The movies are relatively new, including the Best Picture winner of Oscar, “Argo.” However the sitcom selection is very weak and even the Taiwanese television selection is very weak. Cathay has a better selection of Taiwanese television variety shows. Considered how many TV shows Taiwan produces, it is quite a shame on how little China Airlines wants to invest in enhancing its entertainment program.

In conclusion, China Airlines offers a fair first class product and the seat/suite is not the most fancy one in the market, but is very comfortable for both seating and relaxing. The Personal television is sort of awkwardly located and took up some spaces. I felt that the seat could be better with more storage spaces for small items. With the turndown service, the seat turned into a comfortable bed. My feelings about its amenities remain the same, and China Airlines really needs to offer sleepwear or pajama, just to stay on par with your competition. Even the second tier airlines offer pajamas now, and many airlines including the Mainland Chinese ones are even offering pajama in business class now. So China Airlines… it is not the time to go cheap. Catering is strong in terms of food especially Chinese food and catering out from Taiwan, which should be China Airlines’ focus and most of your passengers are Asians/Chinese. However the wine list needs some work and please hire some wine connoisseur and invest in some better wines. You don’t need to serve Krug or Dom Perignon or Chateau Lynch Bages, but this wine list is basically not first class. At the same time, the regional business class meal service was really below standard in both quantity and quality. The cutback has gone too far.

IMHO, China Airlines really needs to decide if it is going the EVA Air track, which eliminates first class and has a premium economy cabin, or go with the traditional first, business, and economy division. For now, its first class (not as outdated as business class) is okay, and the F/As are experienced, efficient, and friendly, but it really needs to bring its amenities up to date. The ground experience can be better especially there are only San Francisco and Los Angeles flights that still offer first class. If China Airlines wants the traditional track, it really needs to improve the suites to higher quality seats, as well as improved amenity and pajama. However, if it does not want to make those investments or feels that the demand is not high enough, it might want to go EVA Air track. I have a feeling that China Airlines heavily discounts its first class and offers many upgrades, so the product really suffers in both cabins. First class is borderline acceptable, and its business class really passes its prime – newly renovated or not. With the new Boeing 777-300ERs coming on line soon, this will be the time to really kick up a notch on its premium class product.

For this flight, I pay next to nothing, so my expectation is reasonable. Compared to Korean Air, which is also second-tier IMHO, China Airlines’ first class is really not that behind from KE. Yes the Kosmo suites and the Airbus A380 is great, but if you are flying KE’s normal Kosmo suite on its 777s, the experience will be similar. Since I speak some mandarin, the inflight experience is definitely better and I communicate well with the F/As. The catering is slightly better with China Airlines, and the lounge experience is similar. China Airlines has the potential to jump to the top, but has to decide whether the investment is worthwhile with only two long haul destinations (even JFK is two class now) featuring first class.

I hope you enjoy the trip report and hope to give you an interesting look into an unusual airline. I anticipate some comments regarding China Airlines’ past safety records. I am aware of it and believe that China Airlines has invested much manpower in overcoming its troublesome past. I have full confidence with China Airlines and hope that you can also try to refrain from safety related comments on this thread. This is more about its service, rather than its safety record. Now I regret no buying one more set of ticket on China Airlines, but it is a nice experience.

Thanks,
              Carfield

Comment

Working...
              X