Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ321 LHR-SIN: An Odyssey of Economy and First, starring CGK, Upright man & Nickbot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh it's 16 hrs and 40 mins actually...

Will let you know when I finally issue the ticket.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
      It would be just about do-able in a 13 hour turnaround, unfortunately there are no flights LHR-EMA so the journey would have to be by train (we're around 2 hours north of London by train)

I reckon the journey from LHR to Nottingham would take perhaps 4 hours, including the Heathrow Express,...this time might be somewhat reduced according to scheduling if you hit the train times right.
      Nothing stopping KeithMEL from doing something like LHR-EDI-EMA on bmi!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Nothing stopping KeithMEL from doing something like LHR-EDI-EMA on bmi!
        Now that's a thought, schedule notwithstanding.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

The long awaited full report!

The Preamble

Many apologies for the delay in writing this trip report – when I started the thread (way back!) on May 15th, fresh off SQ321 and relaxing in SIN SKL F, I wanted to share without delay what a wonderful experience mrs nickbot and I had just shared with CGK and upright man, but I was conscious that with a two week holiday just starting and a ridiculous amount of work awaiting me on my return to the UK, the bulk of the Trip Report would have to wait a little longer! I’m glad now to present the whole story and thank you all for bearing with me on this much delayed submission; I hope that you’ve enjoyed the photographs so far, apologies if there are any repeats!

Nottingham – LHR

I’m going to start the run down (at upright man’s request) right at the start of our journey from our home in Nottingham – ok, I’m not going to tell you what I had for breakfast(!), just starting out with our journey down to London, and from there onto LHR. At around 1:30 pm I received a text from CGK, letting me know he’d arrived safely (from FRA I think, but perhaps my memory has faded a little, and let’s face it, he could have been coming from Outer Mongolia knowing his love of travel and somewhat creative routings!), so we were excited at the prospect of meeting him in just a few hours.

Here I am, looking reasonably fresh and happy after lugging our bags from our friend’s car onto the station platform. Our local station is called Beeston (as the photo suggests!), and here we are, standing towards the front of the platform in the “First Class” boarding area – we thought we might as well start the holiday off in a reasonable amount of style, and as you’ll see further down the trip, begin what was to be a truly First Class experience.

Always difficult to take photos from a moving train, but like a dog putting his head out of a moving car, I just can’t resist taking photos out of windows whilst travelling! Much to mrs nickbot’s annoyance, after any flight half of my memory card will be full of wing shots. The real reason I took this shot was to show our friends in Brisbane just how green England is, especially as they’re experiencing a really awful drought at the moment.

It’s not quite a SkySuite, it’s not quite Dom or Krug I’m drinking, it’s not quite SQ, but it is comfortable and I can certainly recommend Midland Mainline First (well, weekday First specifically,…things change a little on the weekends!)

Gratuitous menu and ticket shot – we didn’t order any food, so sorry upright man for being unable to report fully on the train journey We had free red wine (not bad,…chill anything and it’s drinkable) and snacks only – to be honest, knowing we had a long journey up ahead, and that we were going to the LHR SKL F as CGK’s guests, I thought that we’d be eating plenty over the next 30 or so hours.

From St. Pancras, we travelled by taxi to Paddington to catch the Heathrow Express (HEX) – we were slightly concerned about hitting London at rush hour, but my thoughts were that most people would be travelling out of London, so taxis should have been plentiful; thankfully this assumption was correct, and in around 30 minutes we were at Paddington. Text conversations with CGK suggested that we might have been able to meet at Paddington and catch the same HEX, but rather than hang around at Paddington, we decided to catch the next train to LHR. For those who haven’t taken this journey (this was a first for us), it seems to be extremely efficient and quick (only 15 mins to LHR), but it was very crowded and with heavy bags wasn’t the easiest transfer.

We arrived at LHR at around 7 pm I think, or perhaps a little earlier, anyhow, check-in was open so we joined the internet check-in queue to get rid of our bags. CGK’s charm had obviously worked with the powers that be, because our boarding passes were emblazoned with silver PPS stickers and we were informed that we had been invited to the SKL F. CGK had let me know previously that this was how it should happen if all went to plan, and I can happily say it went like clockwork. With an eagle eye I spotted the letters “ACAKE” on mrs nickbot’s boarding pass, which brought a smile to our faces,…more about that later!

My attempts at using the fast track security were thwarted, despite later on spotting that the sticker on the reverse of my BP said we could have gone through that route – not to worry. LHR security was, as many others have reported, pretty strict; not having travelled through LHR for about a year, we were amused to have to take our shoes off and have them X-rayed. The whole process was actually pretty quick, and we were soon in the shopping area. Couldn’t resist taking the following shot:

Bottles of Dom and Krug, (and Veuve Grand Dame) on the shelves at LHR – we could almost taste the Dom at this point (shame LHR SKL doesn’t serve either ).
          Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 07:39 PM.

Comment

LHR SKL F

After a quick look round the shops, we made our way to the SKL and managed to negotiate the lounge ladies pretty easily; soon we were relaxing in the F side, having a few glasses of Moet and awaiting CGK’s arrival.

Apologies for the repost, just wanted to show the full story all together! I had a selection of sushi, and mrs nickbot had dim sum. At about this time I received an email from upright man who said he was also in SKL F there with us, which was the first indication we were about to have a larger SQTalk meeting than initially thought – we were excited at the prospect of meeting a second SQTalker, but kept our heads low rather than approach every pax asking if they were upright man

More Moet followed – another ticket photo (!), note the silver PPS stickers, I like the contrast with the green BP!

CGK arrived at the lounge and texted me, saying he’d seen me but was too shy to come over! A few texts were sent, with both parties a little shy, but then CGK and upright man came over to our quiet corner and introduced themselves. Straight away, CGK gave us the first of many gifts – some SQ F PJs and a male amenity kit for me. Mrs nickbot and I gave CGK a little birthday gift as a thank-you for inviting us into the SKL (thanks DeltaFlyingProf for the tip!) and we celebrated our meeting with more Moet!

Both CGK and upright man indicated that they would like to invite mrs nickbot and I into the First and Raffles cabin respectively for our evening meals, so this was something very much to look forward to. CGK said that he wasn’t really very hungry, but was spotted carrying takeaway from the Four Seasons onboard! I’m sure you’ll all have seen the photos of his Economy/First/Four Seasons banquet already earlier in the thread!

After chatting for a while, it was time to board; we were cutting it fine by our standards, but I think this was par for the course for CGK! As we approached the gate, CGK lead us past the security guards (who initially put up some resistance, but bowed to his superiority) and down to the front left door into the F cabin – just to show us what we were missing! Here is a photo of the man on a mission, boarding SQ321 armed with his bag of takeaway!

Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Placeholder - please don't post here for next 10 mins

SQ321 LHR-SIN

Once onboard, we walked back and took our seats (60J/K) next to a guy on the aisle seat who turned out to be a real PITA. Only about 30 minutes after the seatbelt sign went out, we were delighted to see the smiling faces of our two new SQTalk friends walking down the length of the aircraft to see us – CGK yet again clutching KrisShop bags full of goodies for us! We had an impromptu meeting at the rear of the aircraft, where we were presented with PJs and amenity kit for mrs nickbot and some Raffles slippers courtesy of upright man. CGK also came armed with the leather bound F menu and after a little “discussion”, it was I, nickbot, who decided to dine in F, whilst mrs nickbot would be in Raffles!

CGK giving nickbot advice over which dishes and wines were best

CGK and upright man took our places in 60J/K (much to the annoyance of our PITA row mate) and we travelled up towards the front of the plane. I dropped mrs nickbot off in Raffles and went through to the F cabin, where I embarrassingly had to ask where CGK’s seat was! This was the first time I’d ever experienced the F cabin on SQ, and can report that it compares favourably with that of Midland Mainline

Most of the other F pax appeared to be sleeping by now, so I was extremely wary of using the flash on my camera – sorry therefore that the next few pics are a little dark; I’ve altered the brightness as far as I can go, but the quality isn’t great.

What trip in SQ F would be complete without caviar?! CGK also kindly lent me his mother of pearl spoon, and I washed this all down with a few glasses of Krug and also some chilled vodka.

Soup – not sure what flavour! Actually, I had declined the offer of soup, but when it appeared I didn’t want to be a PITA so I had it anyway,…it was very pleasant.

For the main course I had a crusted lamb cutlet dish, again with Krug which was wonderfully free-flowing – the flight attendants were so lovely and attentive, and really seemed to be putting on an extra effort to please and impress me as CGK’s guest. Perhaps all F pax are treated this way, but suffice to say I felt like a king.

Ice cream and more Krug, whilst watching an episode of Extras and using CGK’s Bose headphones – those, combined with the lower levels of noise in the F cabin (and the many glasses of Krug I had consumed) meant I could have easily spent the night in the SkySuite,…I’m not sure CGK would have approved however!

Blue Mountain coffee with cheese and biscuits (and Krug!)

SQ First lavatory flowers

At this point, mrs nickbot came through from Raffles and asked if I had finished yet – I said I’d be a little while longer and that I’d pick her up shortly. She snapped this photo of me looking rather drunk and grinning like a Cheshire cat:

My meal was rounded off with an espresso and I finished my glass of Krug

After this, I went to say thanks to the FAs in the F galley and chatted to them for a few minutes – I was sent away with two fresh glasses of Krug (which I probably didn’t really need at this point!) and made my way back to pick mrs nickbot up. When we got back to row 60, I took the following shot (much to the annoyance of our PITA neighbour)

upright man and CGK enjoying their Economy experience! We all then moved back to the rear left exit area and chatted for a while, before the FAs said that we should all really return to our seats. Our SQTalk friends went up front and we got back into row 60 (again, much to the annoyance of our PITA friend,…can you see a theme developing here?)
              Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 11:21 PM.

Comment

The night went on and the flight progressed smoothly – mrs nickbot and I were both desperate for the toilet (after too much Krug on my part!), but our PITA friend had been so objectionable over our earlier seat changing activities that we just had to grin and bear it. Thankfully, the man with the iron bladder did eventually move before the situation reached crisis point!

Breakfast was served, I can’t recall the menu choices, but it was something along the lines of a frittata or noodles. Being towards the rear of the aircraft, we were getting towards being the last pax served for this meal - the FA asked mrs nickbot and I which we would prefer, and we both said Frittata, which was quickly served:

…she then asked our PITA friend and he also said Frittata, but it turned out I’d just been given the last one! In order to smooth the waters, I offered him mine, but he refused,…at least I tried! As soon as we’d finished breakfast, the Lead FA came to our row and said:

Dr. nickbot, we would like to invite you and mrs nickbot to a celebration for CGK in the First Class galley”

…well, how could we refuse?! After once again negotiating past Mr. PITA, we went up forward and were greeted by CGK, upright man, and the following sight:

An anniversary cake for us and a birthday cake for CGK. I had told CGK previously in a PM that our wedding anniversary was approaching, and also we should celebrate in SIN SKL F the fact that mrs nickbot would have achieved SQ *Silver status during the flight – he had kindly arranged for a celebratory cake (hence the “ACAKE” on mrs nickbot’s BP!) Not only were there two cakes, but also a bottle of Dom for our little party. An impromptu fashion shoot followed, during which CGK was photographed with seemingly almost all of the FAs on board!

…cutting his birthday cake…

mrs nickbot and I

The three (and honorary fourth with her eyes shut) SQTalkers

This really was the highlight of the trip – sharing champagne and cake with our new found friends, and chatting with the FAs, all relaxing in the F galley about an hour out of SIN. The whole experience was absolutely fantastic and will stay in our memories for ever. We returned, jubilant, to row 60 and our friend once again grumbled
                Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 11:24 PM.

Comment

SIN SKL F

Upon arrival at SIN, both CGK and upright man were there waiting for us upon departing from the plane – CGK had to retrieve his bag landside, so we all proceeded to immigration for a very quick trip into Singapore! On the way to immigration, I quickly snapped a shot of the flight crew – sorry about the quality

After passing through immigration, we said our fond farewells to upright man, with a promise to visit him when we were next in Singapore, and left CGK waiting for his bag on the carousel (the infamous bag which failed to turn up). A quick breath of fresh (well, stifling) air outside Changi and a self portrait for the album:

Then it was back through passport control and onto the SKL. CGK said he’d meet us up there, and that there shouldn’t be any problems gaining access – we had a little difficulty, but were soon in the F side and went for showers to freshen up

…and a shot of a Colgate First Class toothbrush (which were in plentiful supply), about which much discussion has centred elsewhere on the board!

We then settled down with some snacks (and my favourite Kris Chilli), awaiting CGK’s arrival

After a little time, CGK arrived looking a little flustered, his bag was missing and there was a problem with his onward reservation to SYD; we were able to sit down and chat for a little while over a couple of glasses of Dom. CGK knows I like Kris Chilli, so grabbed a handful at the buffet to give to me as a souvenir

All too soon it was soon time for CGK to leave, so one final photo of our SQTalk meeting was taken

…we sadly said goodbye, and then the legend that is CGK was gone

Mrs nickbot and I spent around a further 30 minutes in the SKL, during which I started this thread

…before it was time to catch our onward flight to BNE.
                  Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 11:26 PM.

Comment

SQ234 SIN-BNE

For those that have made it this far into my thesis, don’t worry, the next few flights will have shorter write-ups because after our amazing SQ321 experience there’s not as much to write about! The flight was enjoyable, I was pleased that we’d managed to get seats in the final row (the 2’s), which are our favourites. We settled in for the shorter hop down from SIN to BNE – unfortunately the entertainment system wasn’t AVOD, but we were excited about seeing our friends in Australia, so the time passed pretty quickly.

First view of SQ234:

My favourite row on the 777, rear left!

Aaargh! Sorry! Forgot to take a photo before eating!

Crossing over into Australia

Breakfast an hour or so out of BNE

Sunrise approaching BNE

Brisbane city view, fantastic approach

Landing at BNE

Our faithful ship!

Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 07:20 PM.

Comment

SQ246 BNE-SIN (12th May)

Whilst in Australia, CGK and I had exchanged a few texts and emails, and we were hoping to meet up in SIN on our return journey. The meeting was confirmed a few days later, and CGK kindly offered to buy us a pair of Sennheiser PCX300’s during one of his flights that week, so that we could benefit from his PPS discount. An invitation to the SKL F for both of us was also in the process of approval. Sadly, the day before we departed, we were informed by CGK that his request for inviting 2 pax into the lounge had been denied because SKL F was apparently going to be busy that morning; we were, of course, slightly disappointed, but very much looking forward to meeting CGK again.

Departures board

Favourite seats again! This time with AVOD thankfully

The view from the back row – passing out the hot towels

nickbot, glass of red in hand, sporting F PJ top courtesy of the ever generous CGK!

Breakfast plus Kris Chilli

Approaching SIN

Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Transit in SIN

We arrived in SIN on time, and headed for the transit hotel for a shower before meeting CGK – not quite as luxurious as the SKL F showers, but always welcome after a flight:

Once showered, I texted CGK, who had overnighted in the SKL F – he had only just woken up, so said he’d shower and then drop me a text. We went to look round the shops and then leisurely made our way to the SKL area upstairs to meet CGK.

A view of the Koi pond, and two inaccessible items – firstly an advert for the SQ AMEX (grrrr, not available for us in the UK), and the SKL, beckoning us to enter, but we knew we weren’t allowed Just after taking this photo, I received a text from CGK, asking where we were and which coffee shop we should go to as he hadn’t got a clue! We walked towards the SKL entrance and spotted our friend, grinning as usual,…it turned out that he knew the lounge lady that day and she was fine with him bringing us in as guests! This was, of course, worth a photo!

Despite it being around 6:30 am, this called for a celebration drink of Dom with my light breakfast. Also shown in the photo are the Sennheisers from CGK, and also an orange he gave us (I only ate it this morning, 10 days later, and it was lovely!)

Another obligatory shot of the two SQTalkers having yet more Dom for breakfast!

It was great to catch up with CGK again and to hear about his recent experiences during his Life PPS run, including the drama in Colombo and the case of the missing bag. It was, again, all to soon before we had to leave to catch our final flight home, so we said our goodbyes. CGK followed us out to the door, grabbing about another dozen sachets of Kris Chilli on the way and thrusting them into my bag! After getting directions from him, we half walked/half ran to gate F40 to catch SQ308

SQ308, waiting for us!
                        Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 11:27 PM.

Comment

SQ308 SIN-LHR (13th May)

SQ308 is my favourite flight from SIN-LHR as I enjoy day flights, and we were again lucky to have been able to get *almost* my favourite seats – just one row from the back, in the 2 seaters.

A farewell shot when leaving SIN

Breakfast (with Kris Chilli courtesy of CGK)

View somewhere over Afghanistan

Lunch (with Kris Chilli!)

A tired looking nickbot, sporting his new Sennheisers

First view of London after breaking down through low cloud

Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 07:48 PM.

Comment

LHR-Nottingham

Again, we caught the HEX with our ridiculously heavy bags (far too much shopping in Australia) – this time the train was pretty quiet, probably because it was a Sunday afternoon

After a much shorter taxi ride from Paddington this time, we arrived at St. Pancras and took our seats in Midland Mainline (weekend) First Class – weekend 1st is, in my experience, often a gamble. You don’t always get the nice midweek First coaches, and table service for beverages (including free wine) isn’t available. Luckily, we had the better quality coaches, and were too tired to drink any more wine!

Our train, ready to depart

View of clouds and green fields

Tired nickbot

Tired mrs nickbot

Our friend kindly picked us up at the station, and we were soon home to a mountain of mail and a cold house

All of the gifts from CGK and upright man

Finally, a reunion with our little boy!

Well, that’s all folks! Sorry once again for the looooong trip report and also for the delay in actually writing it. The whole trip was a wonderful experience, and we feel that we’ve made some great friends in CGK and upright man, so thank you both again for everything guys, this report is dedicated to you both!

Until the next time,

nickbot
                            Last edited by nickbot; 24 May 2007, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Yo nickbot,

Very finally!
                              A most fascinating read. First class effort!

I hope you had a lovely time in Qld to boot!

Comment

Nice pics...looked like you had a hell of a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X