Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing 787-8 TR

Tour Report not Trip Report!

Got to tour the Boeing 787 on display at the Singapore Airshow this afternoon. Nicely done by the Boeing Dreamtour team.

The star of the show, N787BX.

Boeing's signature 787 entryway sky light and gathering area.

Last edited by Nick C; 13 February 2012, 07:32 PM.

The spacious Business Class demonstrator cabin on N787BX has 12 lie flat seats in a 2-2-2 config.

Last edited by Nick C; 13 February 2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Economy Class on N787BX is split into 2 zones - mid & aft.

Seats are in a very comfortable 3-3-3 config, so ANA's 2-4-2 is pretty generous.

I won't be surprised if SQ goes for 3-3-3 for its 787-9s.

Our very gracious hosts ran a series of lighting demonstrations in the mid cabin.

Boeing offers a standard package of 14 different "sky light" settings to all its 787 customers.

The rainbow effects differ from the ones found on ANA 787s but all these effects are optional add-ons.

I very much prefer this over the "mood lighting" in use on SQ's 77Ws and 388s at the moment.

Last edited by Nick C; 13 February 2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

As most of us already know, Boeing has done away with the traditional window shades and gone for an electronic variant. This allows the crew to control the opacity of all the windows, so no more instances of knobs opening the window shades on a day flight and glaring everyone.

Boeing has marketed the 787 as having larger windows, it's great marketing spin. IMO, the windows are about the same width as the ones on the 747/777 just elongated. I want a panoramic view not a top down view that serves no purpose! The A350 will definitely have larger windows that are wider.

The bins on the 787 are definitely much bigger and much easier to open. 4 standard sized rollaboards can fit into each bin. However, I'm sceptical that there will be enough storage space if the aircraft is in a 3-3-3 config in economy. Doesn't seem like there's enough bins.

Last edited by Nick C; 16 February 2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to the rest of this one!

Can't wait to test out the lavs...

Comment

Excellent pics, Nick C! Looking forward to the rest!

Comment

That's one big ol' fish eye you're using there. What's the camera setup?

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
              Tip: Turn your iPhone into a Blackberry by selecting Airplane Mode.
              By far the funniest part of your posts lately -- and so true!
              HUGE AL

Comment

Niiiiiice

Comment

What a gorgeous cabin! Can't wait to see it fitted out for SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    Looking forward to the rest of this one!

Can't wait to test out the lavs...
                    It's really impressive. The marketing rep was telling me that Boeing offered a couple of different lav configurations. The one found on N787BX was the most basic. Will post the shots in the coming days.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                    Excellent pics, Nick C! Looking forward to the rest!
                    Thanks!

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    That's one big ol' fish eye you're using there. What's the camera setup?
                    7D & 8-15mm F4 for the interior shots & 1D3 & 24-70 for all the exterior ones. Don't let the distortion fool your eyes, the cabin is really spacious and expansive.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    Niiiiiice
                    Looking forward to your signature leg shots taken on board a 787

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    What a gorgeous cabin! Can't wait to see it fitted out for SQ.
                    Hopefully with the next gen regional J seats

SQ's 787-9s will have no crew rest fitted; so that means they will be plying short/medium haul destinations.

Comment

Excellent pics Nick C. Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

Hopefully with the next gen regional J seats
                        I'm very happy with the current one.

The million dollar question is whether long haul New Business Class will be higher density & go Staggered J ( NH, OZ, EK ) or Herring Bone ( NZ, CX ).

SQ's 787-9s will have no crew rest fitted; so that means they will be plying short/medium haul destinations.
                        Thought the fuel efficient, tried & tested A330 will force them to fly further away.

3-3-3 in Y? Oh dear. Please 2-4-2...

Comment

Thanks, Nick C, for the second installment. The rainbow colours ... hmmm, feels like a disco of sorts.

I've noticed that the J seats are slightly staggered though not as staggered as the ones we now see in other current J classes. Do you know what's the idea behind this? Does it actually save space?

Do I see some Premium Y in one of the photos or has the fisheye distorted a tight space looking otherwise?

Comment

Thanks Nick C!

It's really impressive. The marketing rep was telling me that Boeing offered a couple of different lav configurations. The one found on N787BX was the most basic. Will post the shots in the coming days.
                            So long as its NOT done kyo-style...

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                            3-3-3 in Y? Oh dear. Please 2-4-2...
                            Irrelevant to you as you only fly F/C

I've noticed that the J seats are slightly staggered though not as staggered as the ones we now see in other current J classes. Do you know what's the idea behind this? Does it actually save space?
                            CO uses it; someone else too but I can't remember; the feet/legs go into an area not used by a pax.
                            Last edited by 9V-JKL; 14 February 2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Those are not staggered at all, just at a slight angle. It is the exact same seat and config on CO's BusinessFirst for 777 but different fabrics.

Comment

Working...
                              X