Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello Singapore Airlines, Long Time No See!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Singapore Airlines, Long Time No See!

The last time I flew with Singapore Airlines was on the 9th of June 2010—almost an entire calendar year has past since then. I was more than excited to embark on my annual round trip to my hometown, flying with my favorite airline—even though I would be in Y the entire time.

Some of you may be wondering why I am so excited about flying in Y in one of SQ’s old birds. Well, for one thing, not only is SQ my favorite airline, but I love the exceptional customer service I know I will get while flying with them. Relative to many of the frequent flyers here, I have not flown SQ quite a lot, unfortunately. So far, not including this trip, I have had only two round trips with SQ on the same CAI – DXB – SIN – CGK route. Somehow, I just feel this wonderful ambiance every time I step aboard an aircraft with ‘Singapore Airlines’ written on its sides. Mind you, I have only flown on SQ’s 772s and 773s with the old hard product. I’m sure I will be twice as excited when I get a first taste of the “still new to me” hard product on the A388/77W when we relocate from CAI to LHR next month. I’m satisfied enough with the old product, and I know I will be overjoyed about trying the “new one.”

Some may wonder if my excitement about air travel is due to infrequent flying. I don’t fly frequently, but I do fly several round trips across the Atlantic to travel between where I do my studies and where my home is. Most of that is flown with Delta Air Lines. I just wish SQ was still partners with DL—earning miles would have been so much more fun.

If you have been reading my TRs, you may notice that most are relatively short and with just a few photos. Now that I’m done with my studies for the Spring Semester (January – May 2011), I will try to put in more thought and effort into writing them.

When the ticket was booked back in 18 March 2011, I would fly out of CAI to CGK on 7 June and the return trip would be on 27 June. However, during the middle of the month of May, there was a call from SQ stating that the dates have changed so that the departure date ex-CAI would be on 5 June and the return on 4 July. I was actually happy when SQ changed the dates because it meant more time to spend in Indonesia! Nothing was strictly planned, so nothing was affected by the date change. I didn’t bother asking SQ why they changed the dates, but I assume it is because of low load factors ex-CAI post revolution in Egypt. If anyone can enlighten me on this, that would be great.

SQ493 – Part 1 of 2
    CAI – DXB
    05 June 2011
    Departure Gate: F7
    Arrival Gate: F12
    Departure Runway: 05C
    Arrival Runway: 30L
    Seat 33A
    Economy Class
    9V-SQC
    Boeing 777-212(ER)

I donned my shirt with the beautiful SQ batik design in preparation to unite with this very close friend of mine I haven’t seen in almost a year. I arrived at the newest terminal at CAI, T3. Terminal 3 is quite decent to have in Egypt. I can tell that effort was put into designing a unique and modern terminal that is significantly better than T1 and T2. Star Alliance airlines utilize this terminal as indicated by a sign at the entrance.

It was a really quiet morning. The security check prior to check in was smooth and quick. From there, I headed towards the check in counter for SQ and handed over my documents and temporary KrisFlyer card. I had just enrolled with KF a couple weeks prior to the trip. I haven’t given FFPs much thought until recently, which I seriously regret. I’m still a newbie and trying to learn about them thoroughly. I received my BP and made sure my KF number appeared below my name. I also received my BP for the SIN – CGK flight and my bag was checked all the way through to CGK.

Again, it was a pretty quiet morning and there weren’t any queues at all. I just headed straight to the passport control. From there, it was a walk down to Gate Foxtrot 7 where 9V-SQC was parked. As soon as I got through security at the entrance of the waiting room for F7, I went straight to the windows and caught a glimpse of my friend. She has changed when I first met her, back in the summer of 2009. Previously, she took the form of a Boeing 777-312. Then she lost some weight in June 2010 when I saw her as a Boeing 777-212(ER) bearing the registration 9V-SQH while wearing the new livery with the enlarged text and logo on the vertical stabilizer. This time when I met her, she was the same, but just wore a different outfit. She donned 9V-SQC with the old livery, where the text was smaller and placed near the center. However, it doesn’t really matter what she was wearing at the time, because it is what is on the inside that counts. It is all about her and who she is. It is all about her heart and the exceptional service excellence that she offers to me consistently.

Interestingly, after the security check at the gate, passengers were given assigned seating locations in the boarding/waiting room according to their seat row. I find this efficient because after the F/J/PPS Club/Star Gold/families with children have boarded, it becomes easy to coordinate and organize the rest of the passengers. After a quick BP/passport check, I headed towards the glass-sided aerobridge of F7. I was just steps away from meeting her.

“Welcome aboard!” a CSS smiled as she glanced at my BP.
    “Thank you for your support, sir!” a Flight Steward standing to my right said as he noticed my SQ batik shirt, to which I replied, “You’re welcome, I love this airline!”
    “Your seat 33A is this way, sir,” the CSS said as she gestured towards the aisle.

I walked past J with the 2-3-2 layout and found my seat in the forward section of Y. It felt immediately like home. Beautiful blue and purple seats were laid out 3-3-3 abreast. I secured my seat and fastened my seat belt, ready to embark on my journey. I loved the Y seat, even if it’s the old SQ one. Having previously flown DL and KL during the year so far, I was glad to be back with a generous seat width and pitch. Legroom is sufficient for a passenger of my height (69 in. / 176 cm.). I loved the headrest, it’s nice and soft, and I find the cushion density just right.

This time I did not forget the trademark SQflyergirl legroom shot!

Seat pocket contents: SilverKris, KrisWorld, KrisShop, Healthy Exercise Tips, Disposable/Airsickness Bag, and Safety Information Card.

Just as expected, the load factor was relatively low. There were not many passengers on this leg of SQ493. As the number of passengers boarding the aircraft began to decrease, a charming FSS graced the aisles as she handed out the menus for the Y meals that would be served on the flight. After the distribution of the Y menus, the same FSS came around to deliver SQ’s signature hot towel service—very refreshing!

Overhead compartments closed, ready for pushback.

Amateur plane spotting: SU-GBY, EgyptAir Boeing 777-200.

As soon as we have pushed back from the gate, the powerful Rolls-Royce Trent 800s began to spool up as the auxiliary power unit directs the pneumatic pressure from the air conditioning system to the engines in order to spin the massive fan visible from the front, as well as all three stages of the compressor. The air conditioning system pauses for a while as the low hum of the Trents starts to gain in strength. Soon after, the safety video began playing. To be honest, I quite like the visual aspect of the safety video and the use of effects for transitioning from one ‘scene’ to the next. What I missed greatly from the old safety video was the relaxing background music. SQ should have kept that in my opinion.

F7’s aerobridge pulled back as we are about to commence our pushback.

It was a short taxi from gate F7 to runway 05C. We had to hold short of 05C while we waited for a couple of aircraft to land. As the second aircraft vacated off the runway, we were cleared for takeoff and the Trent 800s power us down the runway. After takeoff, the pilot made a series of turns to get us on course and as a result, gave me views of the vast desert landscape below. It appeared as if there was a distinct layer of haze from the surface to a few thousand meters up. As we reached 10,000 ft. MSL, the seatbelt sign extinguished as I sit back and relax for the 3-hour journey to Dubai. Cabin crew closed the aisle curtains dividing J from Y.

Holding point of Runway 05C.

An Olympic A320 touches down on 05C…

…and as it vacates 05C, we line up with the active runway.

Roaring down 05C as we pass by CAI’s T3

We’re airborne! CAI’s ATC tower can be seen here.

It appears there is a distinctive haze layer blanketing the surface.
    Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Free headsets were handed out by an FSS shortly after the seatbelt sign extinguished. After a while, cabin crew came around with meal carts to begin the snack service. The usual roasted peanuts were handed out along with a beverage of your choice. I opted for the orange juice. I just sat back and enjoyed the snack as I watch the desert go by below.

The handouts: headset and menu.

Roasted peanuts and orange juice.

The desert landscape below.

The only thing I did not quite like about the flight was the non-AVOD IFE. The PTVs are the old kinds and the quality is just not that good. However, that is understandable since this bird has been with SQ for quite a while. The screen resolution of the PTV is terrible and the brightness qualities didn’t make it any better. The hinge that connects the PTV to the seat back is not tight anymore. The moment the passenger in front of me leaned back his seat, the PTV would just swing outward and won’t go back in. The IFE controller is of the old school type, with the conventional phone service on the back of the controller. Seat to seat calls do not require credit cards while all other calls obviously do. Looking at the IFE controller, there are definitely visible signs of regular wear but all the buttons worked properly and I had no difficulty controlling with it. The latch of the IFE controller is a little loose though. When being retracted to its stowed position, there is no distinguishable tactile ‘click’ feel and the IFE controller can simply be pulled out of its stowed position without moving the latch. I am not a movie buff so I did not care for what was available in terms of movies. KrisWorld had a few TV shows but the variety is adequate. I watched a couple of TV shows and for the rest of the time, my PTV was set to the Flight Path channel, like usual. Although the PTV was terrible, it did not bother me at all because the window to my left and the charming FSSs make perfect IFE for me!

The old SQ non-AVOD PTV

Front of IFE controller.

Rear of IFE controller.

The light meal was then being served as evident by the presence of cabin crew pulling the meal carts towards where the curtain separates J from Y. I’ll let the photo do the talking…

light meal CAIRO TO DUBAI

appetiser
    Barbecue flavoured roast chicken and pasta salad

main course
    Egyptian chicken and chickpea stew with chunky vegetable and pilaf rice

dessert
    Blueberry cream cake

from the bakery
    Roll and butter

hot beverage
    Tea

Since we will be relocating from CAI to LHR next month, I thought about commemorating it by trying out the Egyptian chicken and chickpea stew with chunky vegetable and pilaf rice. As usual, a Y meal is a Y meal. There was nothing special about this dish. It was chicken breast, so it was rather dry and not tender. On the other hand, the Blueberry cream cake was delicious! I loved it—definitely one of my favorites (better than the ice cream that would be served during the next leg of SQ493).

One of the things I noticed was the generous size of the Y meal tray. For comparison, DL’s Y meal tray is about ½ to ¾ the size of SQ’s. There is plenty of space between the separate containers. I also appreciate the sticky layer placed on the tray. This ensures that the contents of the tray do not slide around.

I do not consume alcohol, so I never really paid much attention to the ‘beverages’ page of the Y menu. So far, I have only had either fruit juice or soft drink. What caught my attention after I flew SQ last year was the ‘non-alcoholic cocktail’ section of the page. This time I thought about trying out a couple of new drinks. So opted for the Orange Cooler. It was quite nice and I liked it. It pretty much tasted like orange syrup mixed with sparkling water, but it was refreshing.

My first Orange Cooler. Trademark Kyo “allow me to demonstrate” photo. Well, Kyo does it a lot better obviously, but I thought I’d give it a try. It’s tough to do a self-portrait in the cramped spaces of Y using a Digital SLR camera, so I had my mother take this photo for me.
    Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Soon, we began our descent to Dubai as the Captain goes on the PA to inform us of the descent along with the weather at DXB. As the cabin crew began to prepare the cabin for arrival, an FSS collected the headsets from pax who will not be going to SIN. Since the flight originated from CAI, we were inbound from the northwest. However, runways 30L and 30R were in use. Therefore, the aircraft flew past the airport to the east, parallel to the runways. After executing a 180-degree turn to line up with 30L, the aircraft is configured for landing. Dubai slowly comes to view as we descend through yet another haze layer blanketing the city from the atmosphere above. We landed firmly on DXB’s runway 30L and taxied towards our gate, Foxtrot 12.

We approached DXB from the northwest…

…so we had to fly past the airport and turn around to line up with 30L

A reflection of the forward fuselage can be seen on the inboard side of the number 1 engine. Note the nose gear extended for landing.

Flying through yet another haze layer blanketing the city of Dubai.

Seconds from touching down on 30L.

Speedbrakes up, thrust reversers engaged.

New terminal under construction.

The signature DXB ATC tower comes into view.

Here we are, Gate F12 for the transit stop at DXB.

Passengers originating from CAI on their way to SIN (such as myself) were given the option to disembark should they wish to. Passengers disembarking would have to obviously bring all their belongings out with them during the transit. It used to be last year, that passengers from CAI were not allowed to disembark. It’s a nice gesture on SQ’s part to allow the option for continuing passengers during the 1 hour 20 minute transit. Ground crews came aboard the aircraft to tidy it up while security personnel carried out a quick BP check for the pax who chose to stay aboard. It was late afternoon and although some doors were open, it didn’t feel as hot as it did the previous year.

From late afternoon…

…to early evening…

…to late evening. Oh, and hello TG A330, welcome to DXB!

Comment

My parents had pretty heavy carry on bags and did not want to disembark 9V-SQC, so I stayed back with them and read a couple of articles on the Straits Times. Cabin crew ex-CAI also left and a crew change occurred. A new set of cabin crew will be delivering the SQ hospitality for the upcoming leg to SIN. During the transit, the safety video began playing randomly, I assume, to test it out. Slowly but surely, passengers originating in DXB began to pour into the aircraft. This is when the load factor of the flight really increases. I did not walk about the cabin but my guess is that the number of passengers is near full.

My little (but comfortable) Y seat after the flight from CAI. I will be sitting here again for the next leg to SIN.

The safety video played randomly during the transit stop at DXB. I quite like this ‘new’ safety video, but come on SQ, you should have kept the old music!

SQ493 – Part 2 of 2
        DXB – SIN
        05 June 2011
        Departure Gate: F12
        Arrival Gate: F37
        Departure Runway: 30R
        Arrival Runway: 20C
        Seat 33A
        Economy Class
        9V-SQC
        Boeing 777-212(ER)

As the new passengers began to settle in, an FSS from the new set of cabin crew delivered the SQ hot towel service. After picking up the used towels, she came around to distribute the menus. She even asked the pax ex-CAI if they still had their menus or wanted new ones. After a while, the same FSS came around and asked the ex-CAI pax to check their menus to make sure they have the correct ones. It’s wonderful how the crew made sure every pax in Y ex-CAI had the correct menu for the flight.

It was already dark outside past sunset when the aircraft pushed back form F12. The routine safety video played on the PTVs as 9V-SQC taxied towards the threshold of runway 30R. Once again, the Trents powered us down 30R and we took off into the evening skies above Dubai. As I was sitting on the left hand seat of the aircraft, I was able to catch a glimpse of the Burj Khalifa. We turned right on course towards SIN as I settled down for the 7-hour journey that laid ahead of me.

Lining up with runway 30R for takeoff.

Takeoff thrust is set as we accelerate down 30R.

The Burj Khalifa. Sorry for the poor image quality.

Once we reached an altitude of 10,000 ft. MSL and the seatbelt extinguished, an FSS came down the aisle and distributed the Y amenity kits. Shortly after, the usual snack service took place with the usual roasted peanuts and a beverage of your choice.

SQ Y Amenity Kit containing a pair of socks and toothbrush/toothpaste.

Roasted peanuts and Sprite.

After a while of spending some time with the KrisWorld Entertainment System, it was time for the dinner service as the cabin lights illuminated and cabin crew started to pull out the meal carts. I’ve had the pasta last year on this leg of the flight, so I decided to try out the Stir fried chicken with ginger and spring onion, seasonal vegetables and steamed rice. The chicken was decent and I had nothing to complain about it. The appetizer was delicious. I loved the Potato salad with baby shrimps! You will notice that in the photo below, there is nothing in the dessert compartment. Later during the meal service, cabin crew came around and distributed the ice cream. For the beverage, I decided to try out the Fruit Spritzer. The FSS kindly asked if I wanted the apple or orange flavor and I chose to go with the orange one. The Orange Spritzer tasted nice—similar to the Orange Cooler. One tiny thing that I found to be a nice touch was the butter. This was the first time the butter was perfect. Previously, it was a little hard and I had to thaw it by placing it on top of the aluminum foil covering the meal. Not that anyone actually cares, but I thought it was neat how the butter was just right for spreading it on the roll.

dinner DUBAI TO SINGAPORE

appetiser
        Potato salad with baby shrimps

main course
        Stir fried chicken with ginger and spring onion, seasonal vegetables and steamed rice

cheese
        Cheese and crackers

dessert
        Ice cream (not pictured)

from the bakery
        Roll and butter

hot beverage
        Tea

For nearly half of the flight time between DXB and SIN, I spent working on this TR and listened away on my iTunes. As time flew by, the cabin lights illuminated as the refreshment service is carried out by the cabin crew. I chose the Danish pastry and a nice cup of tea. Sorry, I forgot to take a photo of this one.

refreshment DUBAI TO SINGAPORE

light bite
        Danish pastry

hot beverage
        Tea

As the cabin crew dimmed the lights, I began to slowly work on this TR for pretty much the remainder of the flight. It was really annoying when the pax in front of me leaned his seat. This caused the loose PTV to swing outward and it would not stow. I had to position the screen of my MacBook Pro behind the PTV to obtain the best viewing angle.

I forgot to take a photo of my BP earlier during the flight, so here it is, time-stamped at 0641 hours local SIN time (just before commencing our descent into SIN).

As we commenced our descent towards Singapore, the sky lit up with the beautiful rays of sunshine. It was cloudy at the time, and its appearance made it much more dramatic. The views were beyond breathtaking. It was overcast and raining at SIN, so we had to descend through thick clouds. As we broke out of the clouds, we were already on short finals for runway 20C—all configured for landing. After a nice and firm landing on the wet 20C, we vacated the runway and stood by for about ten minutes as the Captain addressed us on the PA that they are waiting for another aircraft to push back from the gate we are supposed to arrive at.

Comment

The first rays of sunshine.

Beautiful cloud tops.

The speedbrakes extend as the pilot slows the aircraft down during the descent. Note the thin layer of condensation above the inboard portion of the wing. The wispy clouds above made the sunrise more majestic.

Entering the thick cloud layer, speedbrakes still up.

Flying through the thick clouds. The flight got a tad bumpy, but it was not bad at all.

We broke through the cloud base with the leading edge slats extended. Final approach for runway 20C.

Moments before touchdown.

Speedbrakes up and thrust reversers engaged.

It didn’t take long until we arrived at Gate F37 and disembarked 9V-SQC. I was glad to be back at Changi, as usual. I had until 1130 hours before I have to board my next flight SQ958 to CGK. I arrived at SIN at five minutes past seven in the morning so I had a good amount of time to rest and relax. I spent most of my time at SIN just walking around T2 and T1. I’ve been to T3 last year and my parents prefer to just stay in T2. I enjoyed the T2 viewing gallery, which gave me the opportunity to do some amateur plane spotting.
          Last edited by Aulia Harun; 14 June 2011, 12:27 PM. Reason: Replaced incorrect photo.

Comment

The Koi Pond @ SIN T2

This beautiful garden never ceases to amaze me.

BI B772ER V8-BLB. Leased from SQ, previous registration was 9V-SVG.

I love the reflection of this SilkAir A320.

An SQ Triple Seven demonstrates the jet blast from its Trents.

After this BI 777 checks its flight controls and configures its flaps, it’s on its way to the active.

SilkAir takes off on 20C.

A Batavia Air A319 pushes back with its leading edge slats and trailing edge flaps already extended.

SQ958
            SIN – CGK
            06 June 2011
            Departure Runway: 20C
            Arrival Runway: 07L
            Seat 38A
            Economy Class
            9V-SYC
            Boeing 777-312

After having some nice sushi at T2, I began to head to the departure gate for SQ958, I think it was F41—couldn’t quite remember this one. After a quick security check, I waited in the waiting room as I filled out the Indonesian immigration form that was conveniently handed out after I submitted my boarding pass. Boarding was quick and before I knew it, I was already securing my window seat on yet another Singapore Airlines aircraft.

Markings on the parking bay of F40.

She’ll be flying me to CGK.

Comment

As I settled in, an FSS handed out the hot towels. Soon enough, the aircraft pushed back from the gate as the safety video began to play and the Rolls-Royce Trent 892s come to life. We taxied to the holding point of runway 20C, where we waited for a SilkAir Airbus A319 to land and a couple of aircraft to takeoff—a retro Garuda PK-GFN and AirAsia A320. Soon after, we lined up with 20C and commenced our takeoff roll. Upon climb out, we turned left to proceed on course, giving me a nice view of the sea below.

The iconic ATC tower at SIN.

Retro Garuda PK-GFN.

At taxiway E1 holding short of runway 20C.

This AirAsia A320 soon takes off after the retro Garuda.

Not so fast Lion Air, it’s our turn to take off!

9V-SYC demonstrates its wing flex as we turn left on course for CGK.

It was a short 1 hour and 20 minute hop from SIN to CGK, so there were no headsets, Y menus, blankets, or snacks given out. During the lunch service, I chose the lamb with potatoes. This dish was unbelievably delicious and I really liked it. The lamb was just tender enough and the mashed potatoes were really good. It was much better than the two chicken platters I previously had on SQ493. No roll or butter was served with this light meal. The meal tray is also noticeably smaller in size due to the absence of an appetizer and roll/butter. In order to complete my try-out, I chose the apple-flavored Fruit Spritzer. The drink was awesome—better than the Orange Cooler and orange-flavored Fruit Spritzer I had on SQ493. On the other hand, I didn’t quite like the cake for dessert. It was too dry for my taste and I just didn’t like it. The Blueberry cream cake from SQ493 wins this one!

No menu was given out. Main course was lamb with potatoes. Dessert was some kind of really dry chocolate cake. The apple-flavoured Fruit Spritzer was awesome!

My boarding pass.

Seat pocket contents: KrisWorld, SilverKris, KrisShop, and Safety Information card.

Trademark SQflyergirl legroom shot with the seat in front of me leaned back.

Comment

Time really flies when you’re having fun—even in Y! Before long, we commenced our descent to Jakarta. A smooth touchdown at CGK’s runway 07L concludes this TR. Remember the retro Garuda PK-GFN I spotted while holding short of 20C at SIN? I believe I saw her again back in CGK! However, when I spotted her, we turned to another taxiway, so I couldn’t get the photo. We taxied towards our arrival gate and the flight comes to an end, as I look forward for a relaxing month at my home sweet home!

Some flight info being displayed on the Flight Path channel of the KrisWorld Entertainment System.

A slight rumble can be heard and felt as the speedbrakes deploy to slow down the 777.

Touchdown at CGK’s 07L.

You know you are in CGK when you see a lot of GA tails and red roofs…

…and when you obviously see the name of the airport!

Para penumpang yang terhormat, selamat datang di bandara udara internasional Jakarta, Soekarno-Hatta… … … … …terima kasih untuk menerbang bersama Singapore Airlines, anggota dari Star Alliance.

I hope you enjoyed reading this TR as much as I enjoyed writing it,
                Aulia

Complete Photo Album
                http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4&l=8e2afd4298

Comment

Enjoyed this TR aulia - well done !

Comment

Thanks Aulia. Was wondering.... do you have a SQ tattoo somewhere??

Comment

Amazing trip report Aulia! Great pictures

Comment

Do the SQ ladies stop and talk to you on flights???? Maybe I should get a shirt like yours too!!... jus jk...
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

You are truly a die-hard fan of SQ !

Comment

Nice..

OT: Is that a new Indonesian passport design? IIRC, it wasn't that way. Or was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post

The only thing I did not quite like about the flight was the non-AVOD IFE. The PTVs are the old kinds and the quality is just not that good. However, that is understandable since this bird has been with SQ for quite a while. The screen resolution of the PTV is terrible and the brightness qualities didn’t make it any better. [/I]
                              I too flew 9V-SQC ( It is a 14yr old aircraft! The last time I flew it was in 1998 on SIN-PEN!) a month before you on MNL-SIN in J and agree that the IFE is crap! Fuzzy screens, limited choices, spoilt audio channel. Also mentioned it in my previous trip report. Luckily the food made up for it.
                              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X