We love the Swiss DO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
    The kitchen may well refuse since they would be shut when dessert needs to be made/prepared/presented.
    Bingo!

Comment

The kitchen may well refuse since they would be shut when dessert needs to be made/prepared/presented.
      Originally posted by jhm View Post
      Bingo!
      Then the kitchen can serve all the courses at once if it suits them better!

I have my ice-kachang, satay, hor fun, chicken wings, chicken rice, ice jelly, century egg congee, laksa, etc all laid out in front of me on a table in Singapore. No such things as starters,mains, dessert or primo, secondo and dolci to confuse little pigs like me.

Comment

You can eat like that but I'll eat earlier and have my dessert - warm - as intended.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
          Then the kitchen can serve all the courses at once if it suits them better!

I have my ice-kachang, satay, hor fun, chicken wings, chicken rice, ice jelly, century egg congee, laksa, etc all laid out in front of me on a table in Singapore. No such things as starters,mains, dessert or primo, secondo and dolci to confuse little pigs like me.
          If the restaurant is any good they will still refuse since the food will not be in perfect condition by the time you eat it.

Comment

If the restaurant is any good they will still refuse since the food will not be in perfect condition by the time you eat it.
            And I have yet to encounter a kitchen that refuses my dessert request.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
              And I have yet to encounter a kitchen that refuses my dessert request.
              McDonalds on the other hand ...

Comment

No harm in making reservations. If we change our minds later, then we change our minds. Simple.

As for thinking about dessert 6 weeks in advance..! Settle down you two, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it?

In fact we can make many reservations and then whatever we feel like on the day, we just go to that one. So that, e.g. if we have a heavy lunch (raclette), we can have a lighter dinner or vice versa. What other foods is ZRH famous for?

Chocolate pigout session?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  What other foods is ZRH famous for?
                  There was a famous restaurant which was said to be the best of its kind in Europe but sadly now no more. From a website:

Sukhothai - Wanphen Heymann-Sukphan, a Thai native, runs this haute-cuisine Thai restaurant with her husband Gion Heymann since 1992. In 1997, Wanphen was awarded one Michelin star as the first female Thai chef world-wide ever. Zagat Survey gave Sukhothai the highest score for food in Zurich. (26 point).

Comment

Let me rephrase: What other Swiss foods is ZRH famous for?

I'd find it ironic the need to go to Switzerland to eat Thai food just because it's rated by Zagat. I'm off the opinion that nothing beats local food at being more authentic than when prepared by natives of its native country in its own country of origin.

If it's up to me to decide/make reservations (if needed), I'll be inquiring for somewhere very, very local. It may indeed be very, very simple (if there's such a thing in ZRH). Would this be alright? Or 5-star restaurants only? No doubt the food would be great, but the local 'ambience' is what I'm after as well as the local 'flavour'...

Case in point: I'd rather eat Penang char koay teow anywhere in Penang than the best 'Penang' char koay teow in Singapore.

Comment

Swiss food in Swiss local place only. Agreed.

Chocolates can be found in Sprungli which jhm suggested. So we can have tea, chocolates and cakes at the same time.

kyo, you can find the most local place and make the reservations and I'd go along with what you decide. BUT please don't be so kiasu and make many reservations. I hope you intend to call up to cancel them at a later stage. Sometimes I find non-Singaporeans more kiasu than Singaporeans!

Comment

Kyo, you're too serious! Actually, I would not dream of eating Thai in Zurich nor (e.g.) tandoori chicken in a French brasserie.

You can make a single reservation anywhere - I'll be fine with whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          Kyo, you're too serious! Actually, I would not dream of eating Thai in Zurich nor (e.g.) tandoori chicken in a French brasserie.
                          Heyyyyy, that wasn't me ordering! I still considered it a borderline travesty for Kyo+1 do that (and I did make a point of bringing it up when ordering to no avail)!

Comment

A place that has hearty Züri gschnätzeltes & raclette or fondue is what I'm now looking for

Might have to ask someone from Zurich...

Also another update: Have booked into the Hilton Zurich Airport so that I don't rush about the following day. Might go on the airport tour if that's running as well. Anyone keen to join?

Update: Can't join the tour because the first one starts at 12:00 (it does run on Sundays), but I'm departing at 13:00, so unfortunately no recourse for that one...
                            Last edited by Kyo; 13 January 2010, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I'm surprised that you intend to stay at an airport hotel for a 1300 flight! It doesn't even take more than 30mins to get to the airport from town. ZRH -efficient, excellent transport and all...

Comment

Mainly because I've not been to ZRH before and would rather be safe than sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X