This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    And naughty naughty, have you not been sharing your language courses with us? Are you anticipating being conversant in German? Even Berlin's nightlife -- to be fully appreciated, IMHO -- needs a passing knowledge of German.

To dot dot dot, no need to be sprachen Deutsche. (I know it's wrong grammar and words)

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post

To dot dot dot, no need to be sprachen Deutsche. (I know it's wrong grammar and words)
      4 nights of dot dot dot would require some Deutsch in order to avoid becoming mind-numbing. Or maybe it's just because I'm now too old for such experieces?
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

4 nights of dot dot dot would require some Deutsch in order to avoid becoming mind-numbing. Or maybe it's just because I'm now too old for such experieces?
        4 nights of different dot dot dot!
        But really, 4 nights in Vienna would be lovely. Well one can escape to Salzburg if one needs different experience. What I heard many German partygoers said Berlin is a happening place!

Comment

Performances

Originally posted by hon2 View Post
          I hope you don't mean those random concerts for tourists. If you guys wanna enjoy a real Viennaese concert we should go to Musikverein, in which the Wiener Philarmonika performs.
          Unfortunately, the Weiner Philharmonic is not performing in September.

Would you know who is performing at the Musikverein during the DO weekend? I've managed to find a Mozart/Strauss concert by the Weiner Mozart Orchestra on the 27th. Are they any good? The write-up sounds rather touristy. I'm really not interested in seeing musicians in period costume!

I might turn up in VIE on the 26th to attend a concert with the Vienna Boys Choir, the Vienna Chamber Orchestra and the Chorus Viennensis. At least I am aware of the standard of this orchestra. Please advice on how I could go about purchasing the ticket. I can't seem to find the performance listed on the website of the boys' choir. It is however listed on the website of the orchestra. It seems I have to book through some company called Mondial?

I am aware that some people tend to doze off and snore during performances. Keith, you're not the only one! So I am happy to attend any performances by myself before the actual DO events.

Must dos for the DO:
          Demel and sacher torte
          Trying out all the food Flo has posted previously

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
            I'm really not interested in seeing musicians in period costume!

Please advice on how I could go about purchasing the ticket. I can't seem to find the performance listed on the website of the boys' choir.
            I'd be up for a choir performance, phaleesy, and I promise I won't snooze.
            Must dos for the DO:
            Demel and sacher torte
            Trying out all the food Flo has posted previously

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
              4 nights of different dot dot dot!
              But really, 4 nights in Vienna would be lovely. Well one can escape to Salzburg if one needs different experience. What I heard many German partygoers said Berlin is a happening place!
              I find VIE and SZG very peaceful. I don't think it's Keith's cup of tea at all. Berlin on the other hand...

4 nights of dot dot dot would require some Deutsch in order to avoid becoming mind-numbing.
              I don't think language would be a barrier to dot dot dot. Besides the Austrians and Germans speak English too.

Comment

I don't think language would be a barrier to dot dot dot. Besides the Austrians and Germans speak English too.
                Never said there was any barrier. But, trust me, the 'nightlife' is a different experience in English vs. German. Unless you know something I don't?
                Last edited by jjpb3; 16 March 2008, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I'd be up for a choir performance, phaleesy, and I promise I won't snooze.
                  This particular choir performance I'm talking about might be a problem for you because it is on a Friday afternoon at 4pm. I know how busy you are at work and you may not be able to take the afternoon/day off. We'd wait and see if hon2 or Flo are able to find performances by the choir on Sat/Sun.

I can guarantee you won't snooze. Because if you do, I'd poke you. jhm has lots of experience with my poking.

Comment

I can guarantee you won't snooze. Because if you do, I'd poke you. jhm has lots of experience with my poking.
                    Kinky phaleesy as usual... Poking with leder?

Comment

Just spend the Do night(s) in Vienna and hop on (VIE is, after all, the hub city of a major airline that isn't OW and so won't use up your mileage allowance) to a city with a 'nightlife' before continuing your journey. When there's a will, there's a way. Really, though, if you wanted 'nightlife' in Europe, why didn't you plan on London, Paris, Barcelona, Prague, or such cities?

And naughty naughty, have you not been sharing your language courses with us? Are you anticipating being conversant in German? Even Berlin's nightlife -- to be fully appreciated, IMHO -- needs a passing knowledge of German.
                      I would, but for the fact that they include surface segment in the mileage count. In order to avoid that I'd have to turn back to VIE to pick up the GLOB again. I got the most elcheapo version of the ticket and I've maxed it out.

I wanted to do TXL for that reason - nightlife. I'd just pick up rudimentary German on an impromptu basis. I'm sure someone will be nice enough to teach me. Plus I've been to quite a few of the cities you mentioned but not VIE or TXL.

A DO seems more fun and I could always do TXL next time. And I want to eat Viennese food - mmmm the cakes.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I should be bale to make Vienna on 26/27-28 September

Comment

okay ... so as this appears get more interest than i thought i already thought of things to do:

Sightseeing (the usual stuff)
                          - Stephansdom / St. Stephen's Cathedral
                          - Schönbrunn
                          - Innere Stadt (Hofburg, the inner city, Parliament, City Hall, Uni etc. it's all nearby on the Ring)

Eating out:
                          - Heuriger! (you could get a good picture of it here
                          - Cakes at Sacher or Demmer
                          - Viennese coffee in the inner city
                          - Plachutta's original Tafelspitz or Schnitzel at Figlmüller or both

Party!
                          - We could - of course - whip something up at my place as I live near the city centre.
                          - There's always U4, Camera Club, Passage (though I've never been there before) and other clubs and bars we could go..

I'll start a DO thread once I finished my rough draft on what we could do then

I'm really looking forward to this!

Florian
                          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I just shot off an email to my TA to swap my flights to VIE. Am locked in for 27-30SEP. Decided to spend an extra day in SHA.

After reading the late Marie Antoinette's biography, I totally want to see the palace!

Can't wait!

edit: booked a flex rate at LM Wien.
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 March 2008, 08:17 AM.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Great, thanks Flo!

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                              I'll start a DO thread once I finished my rough draft on what we could do then
                              Look forward to it.

Comment

oooh.... I'm liking this LM already...

Spacious Room, Deluxe Non-smoking, Complimentary Minibar, Free Highspeed Internet Access

Comment

Working...
                                X