Mattress Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
    We use the Sealy Posturepedic range and it's great.
    I second that too. Bought one last Nov. My backache problem is now much improved. And I can sleep more soundly.

I bought it at Robinson when they were having Year End sales

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
      I don't know the model, but my Simmons is a higher-end model with a thick pillow-top upper layer.
      Its comfort has not diminished much after 3-4 years, but I think I've been on several hotel beds that are better, so I won't recommend Simmons, unless its price is irresistable.

P.S. I passed by the Serta at IMM recently - it looked like a high end shop with not much business - if you know your model/price, maybe you can bargain the price down and get lots of freebies from them ?
      andySYD: Mind if I ask which model exactly and how long a period you've been using the same mattress for? If it's over four-years in a row, I'm very keen to hear. There are quite a few reports on the Internet including one particular Mattress-forum claiming that after 2-3 years, all the Big S brands suck..

upright man: That's exactly what I intend on doing - going to IMM tomorrow afternoon and see if Serta@IMM will also knock off $700 like Slumberland...

HUGE AL: Whilst I did look into that brand (they have an outlet at Tanglin - they are the ones with the 30k mattress I refer to in my first post), I'm not convinced. Out of curiosity, which model do you sleep on? Can't imagine you staying in the same bed any night for some reason..

khellek: I've also seen two or three threads on SingaporeBrides.com mentioning Robinsons being cheaper. But only during sales. Your post seems to confirm that fact. I'll check if Robinsons has any sales going on tomorrow but somehow I doubt it.

Comment

i use a stearns & foster golden elegance.... it really is the best sleep i have ever had. http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...xx.esn_results the msrp is $12,000- but i was able to get it at macy's on sale for $4199. although macy's no longer carries it, bloomingdales now carries it. unfortunately, i am sure it would be much more expensive in singapore. i would seriously consider purchasing in the US and shipping over. when shopping for mattresses for my place in taiwan, i discovered that the quality of the mattresses were just not on par with what was available in the US.

Comment

I don't know which model it is as we left it in our SYD home. At present we use King Koil in CGK. Definitely in use for more than 4 years and no issue whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
            i use a stearns & foster golden elegance.... it really is the best sleep i have ever had. http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...xx.esn_results the msrp is $12,000- but i was able to get it at macy's on sale for $4199. although macy's no longer carries it, bloomingdales now carries it. unfortunately, i am sure it would be much more expensive in singapore. i would seriously consider purchasing in the US and shipping over. when shopping for mattresses for my place in taiwan, i discovered that the quality of the mattresses were just not on par with what was available in the US.
            Thanks taipeiflyer - I agree, it does seem I may have to pick up some custom talalay latex for mattress surgery whenever I visit LA! I don't think the (very likely SQ) check-in agents would appreciate me checking in a USA Kingsize all the way to Singapore (although it'd be fun to try - you might get away with it, being TPP, though.. heheh). Might be tricky with customs declaration... certainly Stearns & Foster also came up during research, but this brand seems non-existent/unavailable for purchase in Singapore. I'm told that Four Seasons might have their mattress available from purchase through the hotel, but not sure what brand that is either.

No fancy W or Westins here to buy their mattresses from either. To be honest, neither of those appeal to me - my favourites are the ones LM and Conrad/Hilton BKK use. Always sleep superbly when I stay with them.

andySYD: Will drop by the King Koil shop tomorrow and give that a proper spin. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              Thanks taipeiflyer - I agree, it does seem I may have to pick up some custom talalay latex for mattress surgery whenever I visit LA! I don't think the (very likely SQ) check-in agents would appreciate me checking in a USA Kingsize all the way to Singapore (although it'd be fun to try - you might get away with it, being TPP, though.. heheh). Might be tricky with customs declaration... certainly Stearns & Foster also came up during research, but this brand seems non-existent/unavailable for purchase in Singapore. I'm told that Four Seasons might have their mattress available from purchase through the hotel, but not sure what brand that is either.
              Kyo, there's something that you may want to know when buying your mattress outside Singapore : The mattress size is slightly diff from the ones in Singapore. You *may* have a bit of hassle (beside shipping) when it comes to buying your bed sheets.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by khellek View Post
                Kyo, there's something that you may want to know when buying your mattress outside Singapore : The mattress size is slightly diff from the ones in Singapore. You *may* have a bit of hassle (beside shipping) when it comes to buying your bed sheets.

Cheers
                very easy fix for that.... just buy your bedsheets in the US also... they will also be much cheaper. between Frette, Pratesi, Calvin Klein and Hotel Collection, you will find something for every budget, and they all make extra deep fitted sheets that can handle a 50 cm thick mattress.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                  ... and they all make extra deep fitted sheets that can handle a 50 cm thick mattress.
                  50 cm?! Blimey, reckon I'm lucky if ours is 20 cm! Oh how the other half live (TPPs I mean ) Nice to see you posting btw taipeiflyer

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                    50 cm?! Blimey, reckon I'm lucky if ours is 20 cm! Oh how the other half live (TPPs I mean ) Nice to see you posting btw taipeiflyer
                    thank you very much for the kind words nickbot. like i said, it is much cheaper to buy a mattress here than elsewhere, so i can get more bang for my buck. and i am no longer a TPP.... just a lowly QPP. i reckon i wont keep that much longer either. since they have cut the TPE-LAX route, my travels have shifted elsewhere. i love the value i get in J from malaysia air, although their FF program is terrible. NH also offers some pretty good fares. hopefully i can make diamond with them. all my best to you, mrs. nickbot and nibbler nickbot.

Comment

Sorry to hear the loss of your TPP Sir ...but many thanks for the well wishes All the best for status runs with NH!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        HUGE AL: Whilst I did look into that brand (they have an outlet at Tanglin - they are the ones with the 30k mattress I refer to in my first post), I'm not convinced. Out of curiosity, which model do you sleep on? Can't imagine you staying in the same bed any night for some reason..
                        There are hotels that carry the line. But for house hunting furnishings (I know) I am looking at the USD$15k model.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Also interested in seeing opinions and eventually which brand/model Kyo+ opts for - mrs nickbot and I are considering a new mattress(es) as our "IKEA specials" have now probably outlived their usefulness.
                          nickbot, I got my mattress from Beevers. http://www.beeversbeds.co.uk/indexbed.htm
                          For a bespoke item, the prices are really reasonable. Like you, I don't fly F. If I could afford this, so could you!

You can have a his and hers mattress , since not everyone likes the same firmness.

Comment

Many thanks phaleesy, from a quick scan of their website the prices seem to be more like what I was thinking of spending - will give them serious consideration. Just have to check that they provide a size that fits IKEA bedframes, as IIRC they are an odd size.

As an aside, it is estimated that 1 in 10 Europeans are conceived on an IKEA bed

Comment

Many thanks phaleesy, from a quick scan of their website the prices seem to be more like what I was thinking of spending - will give them serious consideration. Just have to check that they provide a size that fits IKEA bedframes, as IIRC they are an odd size.
                              Another vote here for the Beevers mattress which I bought from them after visiting their factory and shop in Whitby, North Yorkshire, England (which in any event I think is a charming town and well worth a visit for its cobbled streets, Whitby Abbey as mentioned in Bram Stoker's Dracula story and fish and chips at the very popular Magpie Cafe) and having had the benefit of phaleesy's opinion after getting hers. It was quite a number of years ago now but I think I may have bought the Sapphire model mentioned on the website. The mattress is hand made to your specifications so they should be able to accommodate your IKEA bedframe size. Having slept in some nice hotel beds around the world, I can say that I don't find my mattress lacking at all when I'm at home.

IIRC, phaleesy didn't find out about the Beevers mattress after seeing it in a fancy department store or reading about it from a glossy advertising campaign (and in both cases paying much more for it as a result) but simply because she was on holiday in Whitby and came across their factory/shop!
                              Last edited by jhm; 12 April 2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

post deleted
                                Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X