Mattress Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattress Opinions

So while some of us here relax on our double-bed in R, Blueberry Class et al, in the air... what do we use on the ground?

I've been spending every night this week going from one mattress retailer to the next and it is... frustrating. I've decided to go with anecdotal evidence - so what types of mattresses brands do we go for?

And what in the world justifies these companies asking for 12, 15 or even 30 thousand dollars for a mattress? I'm stunned.

For me, I'm thinking to either plonk some serious dosh on a Serta, but then again, the Slumberland that catches my eye which seems not too bad/suitable costs almost 50% of that... it's really not quite up to the quality of this Serta, though.

Simmons... hasn't really caught my attention and Sealy... way too much choice. Not sure which Sealy to go for if I give it serious thought.

And doesn't Serta make the world's best mattresses? (supposedly it's been proven)

Ultimately, yes, it's about what suits the individual... I got that much. But I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something the highest-end models have that I'm not considering.

How about King Koil? They are well known & quite popular.

Comment

Hmm, that's one of the brands I haven't yet paid much attention to - do you use it? Any experience? What do you use, feb01mel?

Comment

I'm not sure if Serta makes the bed mattress as per their advertisement. But I do have a Serta mattres, a Nightstar Elite. Wonderful Mattress. Serve me great so far. Beats most hotel beds except at the very top end. Serta also sell the bedsheets that go with it that fits perfectly. Most likely, if you buy one of their higher end mattress like their Nightstar Prestige or Elite, you should get one set for free which sweeten the deal.

Good luck with your choice!

Comment

Mine's a Simmons which I find just average - I would invest in a more expensive one like Serta if it's better - after all, we sleep on it for several hours almost every night right ?
          J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Thank you upright man! Is it a Backcare 3/4?

Mind if I also ask perhaps the most important question of all - one key point I don't find people mentioning much is what happens to their 'branded' mattresses after three or four years. There's quite a few 1-2 year posts (scarily, most of them complain the springy sensation is gone). But on the high-end side, there's scant/nary any review!

Comment

Also interested in seeing opinions and eventually which brand/model Kyo+ opts for - mrs nickbot and I are considering a new mattress(es) as our "IKEA specials" have now probably outlived their usefulness. Embarrassed to report that SQTalk VVIP visitors to hotel nickbot have previously had to sample the IKEA experience,...including the dreaded futon

Comment

I have my eye on a Serta Willow Spring (approx SGD4.31k at Marina Square in Singapore). The Slumberland PPS1600 (PPS, that's gotta count for something!) which I've also taken a shine to costs only SGD2.2k at IMM (I compared and found the same mattress going for SGD2.998 at The Furniture Mall (also the Slumberland boutique).

I'd rather not spend $4.31k, so I'm planning to pay IMM a visit (specifically, the Serta boutique there - and hope the same Willow Spring 'model' is cheaper, apparently they all rename the models from one shop to the next here, which is an irritating practice at best)

Shamefully, TKL also has a single mattress for the unexpected visitor. Hopefully future guests can appreciate the Slumberland I just found out I've been using for the last 3 years (still going strong, and came with the place I was renting).

Comment

We use the Sealy Posturepedic range and it's great.

Comment

http://www.hastens.com/en/

The only way to go!
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
                      We use the Sealy Posturepedic range and it's great.
                      I second that. They have too many models (intentional).

But after scouring through them a few rounds, at Robinson's and IMM, you sort of get the idea which category each model belongs to even though they have different model names, colour etc.

The physical design (features), price and feel (most important) will help you sort them out.

I got mine from Robinson's when they had a sale back in 2003 but without the sale, IMM charged lower prices.

Rotating and flipping of your mattress is important, if you want to maximise its mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        http://www.hastens.com/en/

The only way to go!
                        Oh gosh, if the HUGE one recommends a mattress then it'll surely be out of my budget

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                          Oh gosh, if the HUGE one recommends a mattress then it'll surely be out of my budget
                          Their lowest model (which is better than anything else out there) is not so bad, nickbot.

Think of it this way: you spend a THIRD of your life sleeping. More than that on your feet. Take the money from the cars and clothes and put it into something that will protect your health in the long run.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            Think of it this way: you spend a THIRD of your life sleeping.
                            Really?

Besides which some SQTers spend a lot of time sleeping onboard a/c or otherwise away from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                              Thank you upright man! Is it a Backcare 3/4?
                              I don't know the model, but my Simmons is a higher-end model with a thick pillow-top upper layer.
                              Its comfort has not diminished much after 3-4 years, but I think I've been on several hotel beds that are better, so I won't recommend Simmons, unless its price is irresistable.

P.S. I passed by the Serta at IMM recently - it looked like a high end shop with not much business - if you know your model/price, maybe you can bargain the price down and get lots of freebies from them ?
                              J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Working...
                              X