X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    Nikon must be over the moon with this!

http://www.theage.com.au/photogaller...electedImage=1
    Wonder if there will be a spike in D4 sales!

Comment

• OMG, all his slimy sweat over such beautiful hardware.

Comment

• Celebrity endorsement potential - 'takes snap as fast as a lightning BOLT'

Sweet for Nikon, sure!

Comment

• Fuji x100s Review :: A Camera Walks Into A Bar

Such a brilliant review, I had to share...

http://zackarias.com/for-photographe...ks-into-a-bar/

There’s a distinguished looking ol’ fellow sitting at the bar. He has silver hair and laugh lines around his eyes. He’s well dressed. Well groomed. Well traveled. You can tell he’s seen a lot in his time. His classic Morgan is parked outside. There’s a pretty young girl on his arm listening to his stories of being a globe trotting documentary photographer. He sips his 50 year old Chivas Regal. His name is Leica. Yeah, he’s the world’s most interesting man.

In the corner we have Olympus, Panasonic, and Sony. They’re in a heated debate about Dungeons & Dragons or something. Sony is smart. He’s a brilliant guy. Ugly as hell. Clunky. Clumsy. Out of balance… but very smart. Olympus is more fashionable than his friends Sony and Panasonic but you can tell he’s just trying too hard. He’s cute, but sitting next to Sony shows he’s not that smart. Panasonic is just staring into his beer. A single tear drops into his IPA. He just released the GF5 and has realized it’s a total pain in the ass of a camera and wishes he could go back to the good ol’ days of the GF1.

“Remember when I created cult followings guys? Remember that? Remember?”

Sony and Olympus share glances and mumble something about the wizard losing his potion. “Hey, at least we aren’t those two assholes over there.” as they point to Canon and Nikon.

Canon and Nikon. They’re the two old men at the bar who are always arguing. You can’t tell if they’re the best of friends, brothers, or sworn enemies. Either way, there they sit… every night… arguing and arguing and arguing. One says he can drive a car faster. One says he got laid at the ’84 Olympics far more than the other. The other talks about how big his lens is. The only thing they ever agree on is they are both sick and tired of all the young kids in the bar these days taking their space. You get a feeling that if they just melded into one the world would be better for it. Please don’t get either one started about iPhone and her friend Instagr.am.

There’s a sound of an old shovelhead rolling up in the parking lot.

A young good looking kid walks in the door. Tattered 501′s. Grease stained tee. Three days of scruff. He walks with confidence. All the ladies take notice of him. The cougar den at the table next to Sony, Oly, and Pana all perk up and freshen their lips and shorten their skirts. His name is Fuji and everyone but Leica avoids making eye contact with him. Leica turns on his bar stool and gracefully nods his head to Fuji. Fuji, knowing he’s in good company at the bar, fires a grin and a wink at the old man. Leica sees himself as a younger man in this Fuji kid. Back before he opened his stupid boutique stores and started a line of t-shirts and baseball caps. (Leica should have never listened to his old friend Ferrari.)

Fuji orders a classic English bitter and starts talking to the two girls next to him.

Phaseone pulls the perfect pint and serves it up. No one serves it up better than Mr. Phase. Phase then tells Polaroid to take the trash out. Polaroid goes out the back door and stops to share a smoke with Kodak. Kodak asks if Polaroid could spare some change. “Sorry man. Not today.”

The young girl that was sitting with Leica heads out the door but not before slipping her number into Fuji’s back pocket.

Fuji sips his beer and quietly tucks it deeper into his pocket so he doesn’t lose it.

————————————————————–

And that folks… is why I say Fuji is the new Leica and the x100s is the greatest camera I’ve ever owned.

Comment

• Yes, it is quite a nice review. I just happened to find it few days ago myself and bookmarked it for further reading.

Got the X100S on 31st of May, here in South Korea. Price was 1,400,000 KRW plus a SanDisk Class 10 SDHC card (16Gb capacity) and a screen protector for free (the latter of which I will not use as it is 3").

The wait for getting all the little accessories now begins. Gordy's strap, soft release[s] (from China), extra battery, B+W filter (from S'pore), JJC filter adapter & hood, Thumbs-Up rest and a case (the last one not decided yet).

It is a lovely little beast with superb image-capturing capability. The most important thing about it, in my opinion, is that it is almost free of all the issues the X100 and X-Pro1 had (AF speed, etc.) plus the fact that it is truly 'portable'.

I have doubts jumping into the X-Pro1 wagon last Fall (since I know well the X-Pro2 or X-Pro1S will be truly free of the poor AF speed issues) but I can assure you I have absolutely no regrets on the X100S. It is not a Leica but it does not really have to be.

A highly useful resource on the X-Pro1 is "Mastering the Fujifilm X-Pro1" by Rico Pfirstinger, complements the Fuji manual very well indeed and gives very good tips on a number of issues.

This resource is also useful on the X-Pro1.
            Last edited by N_Architect; 11 April 2013, 09:35 AM. Reason: Clarified text.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
              Got the X100S on 31st of May, here in South Korea.
              Did you avail yourself one of those SQ time-travel tickets then?

Comment

• Well, too much headache I woke up with this am I guess...

March 31st is the date...

Just a sample shot, taken from my apt in Busan:

Comment

• Thanks, Milehighj, really great article.

Not sure if I can convince myself to replace my 10+kg worth of security blanket equipment with this. I've gone on one holiday with my 5d3 and a prime lens last year and ended cursing myself for being lazy.

Comment

• Seriously considered the X100S. At the end of the day, I wasn't mature enough for a fixed-zoom. Also, the hybrid viewfinder did feel at bit strange when I tried it in the shop.

So picked-up an X20 as a primary holiday snapper (you know for those 40,000ft legshots, food shots and stuff ), and will see what they do with the next X-E1 / X-Pro1 update. Love the quality build. Haven't played with it enough yet to judge the image quality.

PS: Apologies to the DSLR purists for going sacrilegiously OT... Mods, please move as appropriate. Fuji X-tread?

Comment

• Congrats, enjoy your X20.

You're not alone. I took the plunge last qtr of 2012 with the X-Pro1 and two primes, then end of March got myself the X100S. In the meantime I had got myself the Nikon 1 with two 1Nikkor primes (purchased during a trip to Tokyo end of last year).

Both Fujis now have the Thumbs-Up rest, protective filters, hoods, Gordy's and/or Lance's straps plus cheap Chinese soft releases. The other common thing my two Fuji's share is that HUGE AL has repeatedly enquired about them, however unconfirmed sources reckon he's still on a Panasonic-purchase mindset.

The Fuji "X" way of shooting requires a different style and technique, especially if one is coming from a dSLR background. I cannot say I have really adopted to that as yet, and also cannot say I'll be staying with Fuji. The X-Pro1 has the known poor AF speed issue but handles great, while the X100S is very much improved in a wide range of areas. Both render outstanding colours and once lock focus correctly give extraordinary image quality.

I don't think there is a need for a new thread, at least at the moment. Mirrorless is the way the industry slowly goes towards to nowadays. The X-Pro1 is not that 'small' or portable, the X100S is though. I assume the X20 scores even better on that respect.

Get a nice leather case for your new camera and go out for some nice shooting. Good tools like these are meant to be used.
                      Last edited by N_Architect; 6 May 2013, 07:15 PM. Reason: Added pictures.

Comment

• Oooh! Is Mr Fuji tall, dark and handsome with a designer stubble?!!! They're rather common looking these days though... they come and go so quickly.

For security, I'd stick to the grumpy old men, Mr Canon & Nikon - reliable and trustworthy.

I'd like to have a go at MrPhaseOne but he's rather high maintenance.

I'm going to get acquainted with Mr Polaroid again. He's a timeless classic and he'd bring me some happy childhood memories.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          Seriously considered the X100S. At the end of the day, I wasn't mature enough for a fixed-zoom. Also, the hybrid viewfinder did feel at bit strange when I tried it in the shop.

So picked-up an X20 as a primary holiday snapper (you know for those 40,000ft legshots, food shots and stuff ), and will see what they do with the next X-E1 / X-Pro1 update. Love the quality build. Haven't played with it enough yet to judge the image quality.
                          "Look at the big brain on Brad!" [A completely inappropriate quote, but the first thing that popped into my head. ] Outstanding purchase! Congrats!

I love how many reviewers put it up against the X100 and have it a very equal matchup despite Sony's larger sensor.

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                          The other common thing my two Fuji's share is that HUGE AL has repeatedly enquired about them, however unconfirmed sources reckon he's still on a Panasonic-purchase mindset.
                          It's not necessarily the mindset...more that I'm after lightning fast AF to capture those "shots." In the market we're discussing, the GX1 is hard to beat. Especially given the significant price drops recently. Just hedging bets on whether to wait for the GX2 or not. NOW is NOT the best time to buy a new camera as the landscape is rapidly changing.

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                          Is this the new lady?
                          HUGE AL

Comment

• No, this is last year's important acquaintance (a fellow SQTalker who visited me in Busan recently got to meet her in person actually...) True beauty she is. We still hang out together, the occasional dinner, coffee in her cafe', etc. Fellow soul.

This year's important acquaintance is arriving in Busan mid next-week...

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                              No, this is last year's important acquaintance (a fellow SQTalker who visited me in Busan recently got to meet her in person actually...) True beauty she is. We still hang out together, the occasional dinner, coffee in her cafe', etc. Fellow soul.

This year's important acquaintance is arriving in Busan mid next-week...
                              I initially read that as last year's important acquaintance is a fellow SQTalker...

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                                I initially read that as last year's important acquaintance is a fellow SQTalker...
                                hahahaha So did I! Took me three read-throughs...and I haven't even started drinking yet!
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X