How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
    While in South Korea last month, I got the Samsung NX10.

It's supposed to be an entry-level dSLR, mirrorless, the size is quite compact if one may be able to use this word. Got it with two NX lenses (18-55 and 50mm) and an extra battery in a LE kit package; bought in addition the 35mm equiv. prime lens.

The NX10 is the old model actually, the NX11 is the current one, but it appears as Samsung may actually be heading towards not developing further the NX dSLR line.

The main reason for the purchase was to have something practical and as lightweight as possible with me when I travel. The second reason was to make a hopeless attempt in steering myself away from ordering a custom Leica MP a la carte, but frankly speaking I do not see this working for too long. As soon as I go back to Pusan or Europe I expect to jump on that acquisition fairly fast.

Having said that, the Samsung is a very nice camera indeed, practical, fast, the quality of the rendered pictures is top notch. Only complaint is the viewfinder, which for me, could be larger and clearer. Overall a decent purchase for the relatively low price paid. Tried the Nikon V1 and also the Fuji X10 and X100 but none of these fit the purpose (based on what I originally wanted).

The new Fuji X-1Pro must be cool but again if one is prepared to look around for burning so much cash, then they may as well go and buy a Leica and be done with it - my personal opinion, anyway.
    As I've been getting back in to photography recently, I've also found myself looking at the wide array of mirrorless cameras hitting the market. So far, I'm leaning towards the Panasonic GX1. The AF time is OUTSTANDING, picture quality in RAW very nice, and the price point works. That said, it lacks GPS (very strange). Thoughts?

The other INSANE idea is that the new M10 is supposed to be released May 10th...and I now understand what makes a Leica a Leica and how awesome their rangefinders truly are.
    HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      As I've been getting back in to photography recently, I've also found myself looking at the wide array of mirrorless cameras hitting the market. So far, I'm leaning towards the Panasonic GX1. The AF time is OUTSTANDING, picture quality in RAW very nice, and the price point works. That said, it lacks GPS (very strange). Thoughts?

The other INSANE idea is that the new M10 is supposed to be released May 10th...and I now understand what makes a Leica a Leica and how awesome their rangefinders truly are.
      I've tried the GX1 in the shop but to be honest cannot remember much about it. If you check dpreview.com (reviews section) you may find some more info with pros/cons, etc.

The GPS function for me personally is not important, but if it is for you then you may either have to wait should Panasonic release a GPS version or get another camera model at this stage.

Thanks for the tip on the new M10, I had no clue so I'll look it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
        I've tried the GX1 in the shop but to be honest cannot remember much about it. If you check dpreview.com (reviews section) you may find some more info with pros/cons, etc.

The GPS function for me personally is not important, but if it is for you then you may either have to wait should Panasonic release a GPS version or get another camera model at this stage.

Thanks for the tip on the new M10, I had no clue so I'll look it up.
        Yup. Always go to dpreview.com first. Also took a peek at the YouTube/ProTube channels:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom?feature=g-u-u

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCamer...?feature=g-u-u

Though corny, but are good resources. Even spoke to Chris at The Camera Store. He loved the GX1 but preferred the NEX-7 even more...but I found the Sony too bulky -- for now...

At Sammy's in LA, their resident Leica guy spent a good 30 minutes explaining to me about the M9 and why Leica is a Leica. Fun time. However, he also thought the GX1 was an EXCELLENT camera. [NOTE: this was before Fuji made their X-Pro 1 announcement.]

Regarding the M10:

http://leicarumors.com/2012/03/14/le...may-10th.aspx/

The comments in that announcement had a nice nugget:

"Just so we are clear, you know that the M9′s high ISO IQ is far, far worse than the NEX5/7 OR the Fuji X-Pro1 right? Not even in the same league."

I understand that all companies are coming out rapid fire now with new products and that Leica's is a SYSTEM, but still...competition is always a good thing. The X-Pro 1 is not a bad camera...especially at 1/3 - 1/4 the price of an M9. And that hybrid viewfinder is really fun.
        HUGE AL

Comment

• Hi all,

I need some suggestions for a camera. Try not to laugh at me as I have NO IDEA what these DSLR stuff are, but I just know I want that sort of camera. The ones which are, well, not compact cameras.

As a newbie I'm hoping to just take decent photos when traveling, which my compact camera fails to (esp when I zoom, the whole thing's messed up)

And preferably not those big cameras that the reporters use!

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigTop View Post
            Hi all,

I need some suggestions for a camera. Try not to laugh at me as I have NO IDEA what these DSLR stuff are, but I just know I want that sort of camera. The ones which are, well, not compact cameras.

As a newbie I'm hoping to just take decent photos when traveling, which my compact camera fails to (esp when I zoom, the whole thing's messed up)

And preferably not those big cameras that the reporters use!

Thanks!
            Wow! BigTop, this is a very difficult question to answer precisely because the choice is very wide and most are very good.

If you're beginning to take an interest in photography, IMHO, you should find a camera that you won't mind taking with you anywhere. The key to learning is to take many, many pictures and understanding why some look good and others don't. So you need to find a camera that you don't mind having with you alot in order to achieve that process. These cameras may or may not be the best-in-class in terms of technical features. As a starter, it doesn't matter.

I would recommend two types. The first are good "dslr"-like cameras termed as mirror-less cameras which look like compacts but allow you to change lens. The second are the dslrs themselves but the lower-end of the range (yes, you don't want to lug a rock round your neck!). Take all sorts of pictures, landscape, nightshots, fireworks, people, ... you'll start to appreciate different ways at looking at one thing.

The next big question is budget. How much do you want to spend? Photography, as many will tell you, can be a bottomless pit when one starts to get seriously into it. The camera and lens makers are not making it easy by coming out with superlative hardware every few years especially for the former. These things help not-so-good photographers, like myself, not look like a amateur beginner!

The last thing I want to encourage you to do is to show your best (not all!!) pics to family and friends. The Ooos and Ahhs will help you inspire you.

Here are a few tips to get started:
            1) For hardware reviews: www.dpreview.com
            2) For a forum for photographers and to find out local prices for new and used: www.clubsnap.com
            3) Find a photoblog that inspires the type of photography you like; just google, or go to youtube.com. Tons of them there.

Good luck! Hope to see some of the pics you take!

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              Wow! BigTop, this is a very difficult question to answer precisely because the choice is very wide and most are very good.

If you're beginning to take an interest in photography, IMHO, you should find a camera that you won't mind taking with you anywhere. The key to learning is to take many, many pictures and understanding why some look good and others don't. So you need to find a camera that you don't mind having with you alot in order to achieve that process. These cameras may or may not be the best-in-class in terms of technical features. As a starter, it doesn't matter.

I would recommend two types. The first are good "dslr"-like cameras termed as mirror-less cameras which look like compacts but allow you to change lens. The second are the dslrs themselves but the lower-end of the range (yes, you don't want to lug a rock round your neck!). Take all sorts of pictures, landscape, nightshots, fireworks, people, ... you'll start to appreciate different ways at looking at one thing.

The next big question is budget. How much do you want to spend? Photography, as many will tell you, can be a bottomless pit when one starts to get seriously into it. The camera and lens makers are not making it easy by coming out with superlative hardware every few years especially for the former. These things help not-so-good photographers, like myself, not look like a amateur beginner!

The last thing I want to encourage you to do is to show your best (not all!!) pics to family and friends. The Ooos and Ahhs will help you inspire you.

Here are a few tips to get started:
              1) For hardware reviews: www.dpreview.com
              2) For a forum for photographers and to find out local prices for new and used: www.clubsnap.com
              3) Find a photoblog that inspires the type of photography you like; just google, or go to youtube.com. Tons of them there.

Good luck! Hope to see some of the pics you take!
              Thanks for the reply! I'm not willing to spend too much I don't know how to use, so I'm looking at not more than MYR1500 (USD300). Does this sound ridiculous?

My friend is using this one: http://www.canon.com.my/personal/pro...anguageCode=EN

MYR899, which I find ok, and his pics are really clear

Comment

• Battery Problems

I know there are a few Nikon users here, so I am posting this here just in case someone has one off these batteries.

This is an important announcement regarding the EN-EL15 battery which is used in the Nikon D7000, D800, D800E and Nikon 1 V1 cameras.

While Nikon takes great measures to assure high quality products, it has come to our attention that a certain number of EN-EL15 batteries manufactured by one of our suppliers did not meet Nikon’s internal quality standards. In extremely rare cases, this may cause the battery to overheat and the exterior casing to become deformed. Batteries exhibiting this problem have only been confirmed in the Nikon manufacturing process. We have received no reports of this problem from the market. Therefore, in order to ensure the safety of our customers and their equipment, we have initiated a voluntary replacement scheme for applicable products.
                To find out more go to: https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...ail/a_id/52326

Comment

• This site has some good reviews for Canon dslr, lens (both Canon and Nikon) and some other equipment.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

Comment

• Time to split this thread, with a new one for compact cameras?

It's like discussing Scoot in an SQ thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
                      I know there are a few Nikon users here, so I am posting this here just in case someone has one off these batteries.

To find out more go to: https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...ail/a_id/52326
                      Thanks for the heads up Singapore Sling. phew lucky both batteries not affected for me

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                        Time to split this thread, with a new one for compact cameras?

It's like discussing Scoot in an SQ thread.
                        No need... We already have a compact camera thread. It is for best compact camera, but I think it will do for all compact camera stuff.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9423

Originally Posted by SQ218
                        Thanks for the heads up Singapore Sling. phew lucky both batteries not affected for me
                        No problem, glad to help.

Comment

• Anyone entered the Silverkris.com photo contest?

Every month from July till November 2012, submit your favourite travel photos that you feel best depict the theme, Pulse of a City. These can include images of cityscapes and buildings, people at work or play, even scenes of nature – anything you feel reflects the true spirit of the city that is the subject of your photograph. Each photo should be accompanied by a caption of not more than 30 words.

Send in your entries from August 1-18 to be eligible for this month's contest. The winner for each month will be entered in a poll on silverkris.com in December to be eligible for the Grand Prize - a pair of Economy Class tickets to any Singapore Airlines destination*!
                          I think they could have done better with the grand prize.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
                            Anyone entered the Silverkris.com photo contest?

I think they could have done better with the grand prize.
                            Yes the prize is a pittance. Should be J seats at least! But will find some old pics to submit - craving for some tempura in Kyoto.

Comment

• I'm using a Nikon D5000 here

Comment

• Nikon must be over the moon with this!

http://www.theage.com.au/photogaller...electedImage=1

Comment

Working...
                                X