No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to chime in on the underwater photography even though I don't own a DSLR.

Ikelite is a very popular brand for underwater housing and most of my friends get that for their underwater photography. Personally I own a Sony digital camera and housing to take photos underwater. Most problems I encounter when taking photos are usually lost of colour and light as you go deeper. Unless you are bring a very large flash or strobe with you, it gets quite bad.

And another personal thought that if you are just getting or just got scuba certified, I would recommend that you try to enjoy the scuba rather than lugging all the camera gear underwater. As a new diver, it would be difficult to hover with the added negative bouyancy and not disturbing up the silt.

Comment

• I was shown a bible written by Thom Hogan for D700 users over the weekend. Is there a similar book written by someone for 5D Mk II users?

Are prices for cameras in Hong Kong more expensive than say Adorama or B&H in NYC? E.g. how much would the 1D mkIV cost in Hong Kong?

N_Architect or anyone else, any advice and comments? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post

Are prices for cameras in Hong Kong more expensive than say Adorama or B&H in NYC? E.g. how much would the 1D mkIV cost in Hong Kong?
        Quite up to date.
        http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?pa...ameraprice.htm

Comment

• Thanks, SQfg. You're such a star!

Does anyone know where/what a Fortrexx is? I've goggled and I can't find anything about it. Is it a chain? Those prices are cash prices? Credit card prices? Prices for locals?

Should I go to the shop with a local? I always find shopping in some countries stressful...

Comment

Those prices are cash prices? Credit card prices?
            Cash or credit makes no difference.

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
            Should I go to the shop with a local?
            How good is your Cantonese? Mine's alright, but i REALLY need make a conscious effort to avoid mixing it with "malaysiantonese" - when certain "Malaysia Cantonese only" words get thrown into the bargaining - you're sunk

Comment

• Hong Kong:

I always buy from Wing Shing in Mongkok, I think I have posted address here some time ago.
              http://www.wingshingphoto.com/index.php

You may also want to try:

1. Cam2 (Coxell Digital Camera)
              9/F Yau Shing Commercial Centre
              Mongkok, Kowloon
              852-2787-0173
              http://www.cam2.com.hk
              (reportedly talk to Ringo)

2. Kinefoto (they have a Leica sign outside)
              66-68 Stanley Street
              Central, HK (off Lan Kwai Fong)
              2523-2087
              (reportedly excellent customer service. always let you try multiple lenses before purchasing)

3. Mirama Camera (they have a Canon sign outside)
              25 Stanley Street
              Central, HK (off Lan Kwai Fong)
              2501-0927
              (reportedly excellent prices, and if the woman is there she is great to deal with)

4. http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/
              This one should be ok as well.

Comment

Does anyone know where/what a Fortrexx is? I've goggled and I can't find anything about it.
                It's probably referring to Fortress:

http://www.fortress.com.hk/fortress/...n_ref=ABOUT_US

Founded in 1975 as a Hong Kong Electricity Group tariff collection and promotion centre for the use of electricity and the sale of a basic range of electrical products, Fortress was acquired by Hutchison Whampoa Limited (HWL) in 1986. It has since become the leading retailer of electrical appliances in Hong Kong with around 50 outlets employing more than 1,000 staff.
                I'd use Fortress to buy out the maximum I should pay for an item and then go hunting/bargaining to try and beat that in the small shops (provided that I don't get ripped off in some of them with some of the scams they pull, e.g. substituting other goods for what you thought you bought!).

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  How good is your Cantonese?
                  I understand what is being said in Cantonese but I can't speak it. I think my version of 'lan kwai fong' would be worse sounding than KeithMEL's.

Thanks for the various links, N_Architect. Is the first link the shop you go to all the time? Have you personally bought stuff from the other shops?

SQfg, regarding our previous discussion about prices of camera equipment... I've had a look at one of the items I wanted and I think Hong Kong might be even cheaper than the States. I wonder why!

Change of plans again... thought I might pop over to HK next month but the flights are too expensive for a long weekend, so I'm stuck in Europe. I was already day-dreaming of all the yummy food and the wonderful stay at the W HK! So no new equipment to play with and no yummy food now.

Comment

I understand what is being said in Cantonese but I can't speak it. I think my version of 'lan kwai fong' would be worse sounding than KeithMEL's.
                    That was not cantonese. That's keithtonese.

Anyway, am going tomorrow. sister will take me to her fave camera shop (dunno where it is) - i'm after the 11-16 tokina 2.8 and mebbe the sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0

wonder if they're any good ah?

Comment

Anyway, am going tomorrow. sister will take me to her fave camera shop (dunno where it is) - i'm after the 11-16 tokina 2.8 and mebbe the sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0

Sorry I'm not familiar with these products. What do the reviews and product comparisons say? I usually read the reviews, have a play, then buy. I think for the bigger and more expensive lenses, people tend to rent it for the weekend and have a trial before making a commitment.

Comment

Thanks for the various links, N_Architect. Is the first link the shop you go to all the time? Have you personally bought stuff from the other shops?
                        The very first link I have provided is the dealer I have been repeatedly using in HKG (Wing Shing Photo, Mongkok). They are very good, quick, reliable with what they sell, but not necessarily the cheapest (meaning that they have good prices but in HKG you can find other retailers who will offer you marginally better prices - watch out though for independent imports, etc.)

If you take MTR to Mongkok, their store is only a minute away from the station.

See here:

The last link (Tin Cheung Camera) is another similar type dealer I would recommend if you do not want to use Wing Shing. I have not tried them myself though.

The three dealers in the middle of my previous message are references I got from the boards in dpreview, so I cannot really guarantee how good or bad they are.

Now that you're not going to HKG, why don't you come to Singapore, 12-14/June?

Comment

Tokina 11-16/2.8 Canon mount - a very good lens indeed:

Samples:

Hong Kong, just outside Tin Mau MTR station.

Hong Kong Central MTR station.

Hong Kong, IFC shopping mall.

Comment

• Thumbs up for Tin Cheung! Best prices for non-parallel import products I've found so far. Wing Shing and Man Shing (all in Mongkok) are large and are very reputable shops, with competitive prices to boot as well!

I am heading to HK in mid-May and would certainly be dropping by the camera shops to pick up some lenses and maybe a tripod.

Comment

• Just had a wander up and down Nathan Road and some side alleys... can't seem to find that Tokina at either 1) the right price 2) the right mount 3) the right level of shopkeeper honesty

Might go and look at bit more later.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                                The very first link I have provided is the dealer I have been repeatedly using in HKG (Wing Shing Photo, Mongkok). They are very good, quick, reliable with what they sell, but not necessarily the cheapest (meaning that they have good prices but in HKG you can find other retailers who will offer you marginally better prices - watch out though for independent imports, etc.)

Now that you're not going to HKG, why don't you come to Singapore, 12-14/June?
                                Thanks for the details, N_Architect. I am happy with paying for the 'not cheapest', so long as the shop is reliable. Most places are cheaper than the UK, so I'm happy already.

I can't do any major long hauls for the next two to three months because of work commitments.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                                Just had a wander up and down Nathan Road and some side alleys... can't seem to find that Tokina at either 1) the right price 2) the right mount 3) the right level of shopkeeper honesty

Might go and look at bit more later.
                                Have you tried looking for them in the shops N_Architect and eriond mentioned?

No luck with my request too?

Comment

Working...
                                X