No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon gear for sale (two bodies, many lenses & accessories)

Decided to move ahead and switch camps.

As this is not a photo gear sale/resale forum, I will not post here the weblink where I describe in detail my gear which I intend to sell.

If anyone is interested, PM me accordingly.

As first preference is to sell all at once (something that will not be easy at all) and not separate in pieces, few of you that I already know are interested in few items of mine may have to wait a bit till I see how things go out in the market.

Comment

• N_Architect, you must be excited at the jump into pastures new!

A camera with a red dot perhaps ?

Comment

• I am excited but we're not there yet. I have too much gear and it'll be difficult to sell all.

And yes, I intend to make the jump to that little German toy with the nice good looking red dot...

Comment

• interested to see what you end up with! PM sent!
          blog

Comment

• D90 with 18-105mm lens User here...

Comment

• finally came to the region here this December and brought...

...a gift that will help me start a (hopefully) long-lasting 'back to film' journey

Comment

• N_Architect, very nice. What's the age of this old boy/girl (in your case )?

Comment

• Tracing it from the serial number, it is 1984 (which is not bad at all, so supposedly a fairly recent model - 500C/M production started in 1970 and stopped in 1994).

Comment

• N_Architect - this one is for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0eCv...layer_embedded

Leica S2 unboxing
                    blog

Comment

• Nice one but quite for pros. Not a beast you can take out for a casual shoot.

Now that I've got the Hassy I realized how uncomfortable it can be to carry such heavy equipment outdoors. But today, when I get the 1st set of contact sheets from the lab, I hope it was worth the effort last week in the snow...

Anyway, was looking at this German shop y'day and thinking of ordering a second hand M Leica (film). Will probably leave it for fall 2010 and get a new one from the U.S., but you know, the temptation is always there...

Comment

• I find myself still deliberating on the GF1 (sorry to be a broken record) - whilst my intention has been to wait for extra competition in the micro 4/3rds market and post Christmas price drops, these are (understandably) taking time to come to fruition. I can't really justify the £700 or so for the body, zoom and pancake lenses at the moment

Having performed a cursory Google search, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Lumix LX3? Yes, I know it's a little OT considering the thread is about DSLRs, but I suppose the GF1 is OT too in its own right

What I'm after is a high quality but pocketable camera, I don't mind spending up to £500,...the look and feel of the GF1 attracts me, although it is bulky with the zoom lens (albeit smaller than a DSLR of course). I know the GF1 sensor is a lot larger than the LX3, so the quality should be much better. To be honest, interchangeable lenses aren't a wholly necessary requirement for me if I can get a camera with a decent lens that offers some zoom capability (vs. the digital zoom only I'm crippled with on the N97) then I'd be happy. I'd rather avoid superzooms, as they just smack of poor man's DSLR and don't exactly fit the pocketability requirement.

Maybe I need to take my time and think a little longer - any words of wisdom would be most appreciated!

Comment

• I don't know if you'd consider this a word of wisdom - but if you can afford to, wait. Til something comes along that fits everything on your checklist.

I'm waiting with a P&S in the meantime til m4/3 matures a little more also.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                            ...sorry to be a broken record...
                            ...Yes, I know it's a little OT considering the thread is about DSLRs... ...Having performed a cursory Google search, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Lumix LX3?
                            ... What I'm after is a high quality but pocketable camera, I don't mind spending up to £500...
                            First of all I have to admit that lately I have kind of hijacked this thread with references to non-DSLR equipment, and apologies for that.

Secondly, you're neither a broken record nor OT, dear nickbot. Most people nowadays look into these particular models (GF1, etc.) , as they are really good, compact and practical in use.

Thirdly, I would love to help but cannot give an opinion on something I have not tried yet though I may have read reviews and tests. However, in this category you may also find any Ricoh camera that fits your needs. I happen to have the GX100 and have loved it all those years. Many of the shots I have posted in my TRs have been captured with this camera, as it was the only practical item I could carry with me when leaving base sometimes for a week, other times almost for a month. A while back it was been replaced with the GX200 and there are a couple of other interesting models. But it really depends on what you're looking for, how modular you want it to be, etc. (and I assume you have already taken these things into consideration).

Fourthly, I agree with kyo+. If you're not that pressed to get something in order to get out and shoot, especially if it is not something that fits you well, you might as well wait. It will be a pity you buy something now and then 6 or 12 months later a more suitable product for you comes up.

Finally, an excerpt from something I happened to read this morning, on opinions and reviews. It is from an old website and a guy who used to post reviews on Nikon equipment. Makes us not forget that any 'opinion' we express is always personal and it is best given out if we have tested and tried the equipment in various conditions and over a considerable time period.

The page can be found here:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/~nicke/pho...st/grumpy.html

Enjoy reading.

A Word About Reviews

A review is an opinion. Ask 1000 people to do a review and you'll get 1000 different opinions. This review is my opinion. I base my opinion on my experience. I don't base my opinions on the results of others. I am unbiased. I owe no company my loyalty. Nobody is paying me to form my opinion. Before you believe anything you read in print, including this review, you must first ask yourself, why did this person write this review? I'll say it very boldly: reviews you read in magazines are b******t.

These people don't pay for the equipment with their own money. They don't make their living taking pictures; they make their living writing magazine articles. They aren't about to risk pissing off a manufacturer by writing an unfavorable review. They never even use the equipment long enough to know anything about it anyway. Frankly, I don't know why the hell anyone would believe a word these morons say; there isn't a shred of truth in anything they write. If you want an honest review, ask someone who bought the equipment with their own hard-earned cash. Ask someone who uses this equipment every day. Ask someone who has nothing to gain or lose by telling you the truth.

I've been using Nikon equipment for more than 20 years. In this time, I've owned just about every body, and many of their lenses. Unlike a salesman, I have no interest in lying to you. The reviews I give below are my honest opinions based on many years of using the equipment. When I say something is great, it really is. Nikon equipment worth owning is colored green below. When something sucks, you can damned well bet I'll let you know. Stuff that Nikon should be ashamed of is colored red below. You can find equipment reviews by many other photographers if you search the Internet. I strongly suggest you read as many as you can.

Put your trust in photographers who use the gear, not in morons who make their living trying to scam you.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                              Having performed a cursory Google search, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Lumix LX3?
                              If you eventually opt for the LX3, it may interest you that the LX3 is nearing the end of its cycle, some are betting that LX4 will out soon.

You might want to wait to see if the LX4 appeals to you or maybe you might be able to get the LX3 at discount.

Comment

• All the photos on my TRs since Venice ( June ) have been with an LX3.

I love it.

Without it's case, it fits into the pocket of my jeans.

I use SQ's pouch for socks as case!

Comment

Working...
                                X