How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by andySYD View Post
    I am on the same boat with you man, but I am considering getting a second hand ** to play around with first before investing too much on it...
    I agree that for a first-time user, anyone should try the Leica 'concept' first before committing to large sums on glass.

I've never laid hands on a rangefinder, and I used to think it'd be occasionally hard to focus correctly with manual focus. But I keep reading that it's a marvel to have and shoot with it, in almost all respects (apart from the financial one, of course).

Biggest difficulty for me is that I'd prefer to sell my Canon gear first, and this would take time (it's a lot ). Another concern would be I'd have to separate with the amazing 35/1.4L and the stunning 85/1.2L II. Another option is that for tele shots I'd probably have to keep the ultra-fast 1D Mk II N and the EF 70-200/2.8L.

In any event, it's good they gave us now a FF digital M Leica. In 3-5 years time, they will have improved it as well, so it'll be even better buying one at that stage.

On the other hand, used M8s go for $1,500 now, you know...
    Last edited by N_Architect; 15 November 2009, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• I have dibs on your 35/1.4L and 85/1.2L if you ever sell them! Please please please please!!!!
      blog

Comment

• Originally posted by nickbot View Post

Whilst the zoom would offer flexibility, it makes the camera less portable/pocketable than a compact of course (a distinct downside for me of the whole DSLR caper, as nickbot plus manbag doesn't really go ), so I think the pancake lens would have to be on my shopping list - perhaps there are body+pancake kits out there? In some ways I'm intentionally not looking because it's a bit beyond my current budget

Would love to see some shots still jhm!
        I saw a Panasonic GF-1 Red + Pancake 20/1.7 lens kit in HKIA shop

Comment

• Originally posted by haf View Post
          I have dibs on your 35/1.4L and 85/1.2L if you ever sell them! Please please please please!!!!
          Noted. The lens I have are (most of them) very little used. The 90 TS-E has probably been used for taking not more than 20-30 shots, the 70-200/2.8L same, the 85/1.2L II I'd guess not more than 150-200 shots, etc. And all of them are tack sharp, very good copies (as is the legendary 35/1.4L of course).

I'll check how my plan for upgrading/switch camps goes and I'll PM you whenever I am about to make a move.

Comment

• N_Architect, am interested in the TS-E. Please let me know if/when you do decide to abandon Canon. I was in the same boat only a few weeks ago. But my mind changes every two-three minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
              N_Architect, am interested in the TS-E. Please let me know if/when you do decide to abandon Canon. I was in the same boat only a few weeks ago. But my mind changes every two-three minutes.
              Will do, phaleesy. And I also do change my mind pretty often, I admit.

I happened to have one of my external HDDs here with me today in order to upload pics to facebook (I usually keep it in the office). As I have Canon's DPP software here at my home laptop, I came across and worked on some rare shots I had taken in RAW few years back. Talking about good glass today, I think it'd be nice to share a few of these shots here.

Sunset at Diakofti, Patmos island, Greece.
              July 2007.
              Canon EOS 1D Mark II N & EF 35/1.4L lens; 1/40, f/5.6, ISO 800, handheld.

Chora, Patmos island, Greece.
              July 2007.
              Canon EOS 1D Mark II N & EF 35/1.4L lens.

Dedicated to kyo+ for his birthday (to which I did not post a picture for)
              [however someone told me once there's a part in the lyrics of an Aerosmith song which says "...you may not remember, but I never forget..."]

July 2007.
              Canon EOS 1D Mark II N & EF 35/1.4L lens.

July 2007.
              Canon EOS 1D Mark II N & EF 35/1.4L lens; 1/80, f/5.6, ISO 100.

The Monastery of Chora, Patmos island.
              Note the special effect (nearly half of the image is intentionally out of focus) achieved through the tilt-shift lens used. One-plane tilt-shift here only.
              July 2007.
              Canon 1D Mark II N & TS-E 90/2.8 lens; 1/640, f/11, ISO 200, tripod.
              Any tilt-shift lens is a real beauty and can give marvelous shots if you know the very basic principles and how to apply them.

Sunset at Patmos island, Greece.
              July 2007.
              Canon 1D Mark II N & EF 135/2L lens, 1/400, f/11, ISO 200.
              Last edited by N_Architect; 16 November 2009, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• N_Architect, if you want to get rid of your 70-200mm lens, you'd better do so quickly. Prices are dropping already as we speak. I think a newer version of the lens would be released soon.

I don't know how Canon could improve that lens as it is already so amazing. Such a heavy and ugly lens but when one reviews the quality of pics taken with it, one would tend to forget the weight.

I think there's a rather steep learning curve for the TS-E? One could choose which bits not to focus on (seen from N_Architect's pic). Great opportunities for the more arty/creative type of work. I'd like the TS-E17 and 90.

Comment

• Thanks for the info, will keep in mind. True, the 70-200 is a fantastic lens and I didn't know about the 'upgade'. Oh, well, if it comes it comes...

Yea, and as I was just posting the above shots, I just remembered about phaleesy requesting samples from TS-E lens many months ago... I don't think I've used that particular lens for more than that specific shooting that day on the island... But I also remember what they told me at my local camera store (in ATH, Greece, that is) in August, when I told them I have the TS-E 90: "magical lens, if you know how to use it". The guy took me to a point in the store where they have a Sinar 4x5 and started showing me how the change of 'planes' works with large format cameras... I was thrilled...
                  Last edited by N_Architect; 16 November 2009, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• N_Architect, on second thought, I think you'd better keep all your canon lenses. You might want to move back to Canon again in a couple of months/years.

It is ok to spend money on lenses since they retain their value and don't get 'outdated' that quickly.

The digital bodies, on the other hand, are just like cars!

Comment

• TS shots do fascinate me. I really like the one you have up there. Thanks for keeping me informed on the lens sales! I have no doubt you would look after them very, very well!

phaleesy - you do make me laugh with mind changing every 2-3 minutes! I have gone back and forth so many times on the 5D mkII purchase that now I might as well just wait for a mkIII!
                      blog

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                        N_Architect, on second thought, I think you'd better keep all your canon lenses. You might want to move back to Canon again in a couple of months/years.

It is ok to spend money on lenses since they retain their value and don't get 'outdated' that quickly.

The digital bodies, on the other hand, are just like cars!
                        Digital bodies are even worse than cars! Conventional logic suggests that with such an array of lenses it is much preferable to stay in the Canon camp. Basically what I am missing now is a FF body; if I simply decide to get that, then the uses of my lenses will also change and be expanded.

Originally posted by haf View Post
                        TS shots do fascinate me. I really like the one you have up there.
                        I had seen once in dpreview.com a lovely handheld shot with the 90 TS-E, shot somewhere in Bangkok, and was very surprised as it is difficult to maintain the intended 'loss of focus' in any chosen plane. I will be trying again the TS-E in the coming weeks and will post more samples.

Comment

• Another dream!

The 1Ds would be released only in Oct 2010!!!

What to do? I simply cannot wait and wait and wait. 11 more months! I need a camera with high ISO and fast focusing.

SHould I just go ahead with the 1DmkIV? Problem with crop cameras is my maths is not too good and I would be standing there for ages trying to figure out the shutter speed.

Originally posted by haf View Post
                          I have gone back and forth so many times on the 5D mkII purchase that now I might as well just wait for a mkIII!
                          Back to the MkII again. Yes, haf. I'm in the same situation. I'd get it now, no, I'd wait for the mkIII. No, I think I should get it now, since I need a faster ISO. Does that sound familiar to you too?

I'm back to the 1D mkIV and the 5D mk III option again I think. I always go around with two cameras, so it's a better set up than two FF, right? I wish Canon would just put me out of my misery quickly!

Comment

• I've been in that dilemma, and decision (repeatedly, including during in-store visits which is the worst ...torture) was NOT to get the 5D I or II.

I sense haf is more inclined towards a 5D III purchase, but for you phaleesy, and assuming you are willing to spare the extra cash, I'd suggest to get the next 1Ds.

The 1D/1Ds is like SQ J/F class - but be warned: once you've sampled it, there's no substitute and you won't be willing to go back after that... Truly speaking anyone who buys a 1D does him/her self a favor. It's not just a camera, it's a luxury tool that will spoil you in a way you've never felt before.

[And once you get the 1D, you'll forget about that shutter sound of the D3 as well!!!]

Last edited by N_Architect; 17 November 2009, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• I've been going over my material from Korea, thinking to start a TR on my years there (and also this long awaited TR on sea trials...).

Just a few shots, mainly specimens (far from perfect ones, but I hope they'll do for haf) - I hope you guys don't mind me sharing few pictures in this thread.

1D Mk II N, EF 85/1.2L II; 1/125, f/2.8, ISO 400, handheld.

1D Mk II N, EF 35/1.4L; 1/60, f/1.4, ISO 400, handheld.

1D Mk II N, EF 85/1.2L II; 1/60, f/4, ISO 400, handheld.

1D Mk II N, EF 85/1.2L II; 1/250, f/8, ISO 400, handheld.

1D Mk II N, EF 85/1.2L II; 1/125, f/5.6, ISO 400, handheld.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                                I sense haf is more inclined towards a 5D III purchase, but for you phaleesy, and assuming you are willing to spare the extra cash, I'd suggest to get the next 1Ds.
                                I think haf is swinging between the II and III at the moment. But how much longer do we have to wait??!

The 5D would always be my main camera. It's just a question of which version I should get now. I've mentioned before - it is a decent size camera which produces good quality images. But I can't take pics in low light with the mk1 at F11 unless I use a tripod. Noise appears at ISO800. That's why the MkII would be useful in such instances. But I've also been told that the MkII has the same AF system as the MkI, which is a handicap when it comes to fast moving subjects. So the MkIII would have the perfect ISO/AF system, right?

The 1D is meant to be better but it's a lot chunkier and uglier. It would not be going on my little touristy trips. But it would be the main body for my animal shoots (in which case, the 5D would be the second body). I don't know which 1D to get yet. If I get the 1Ds, I would end up with two FF. Is that good or bad?

We still don't know when the 1Ds or 5DmkIII would be announced and released yet. The 5Dmk II is on the shelves now and the 1D would be soon. I just want to grab something to play with! Very impatient!

I'm always being told that good things happen to those who wait. So I wait and wait and wait, and nothing exciting ever happens!

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                                [And once you get the 1D, you'll forget about that shutter sound of the D3 as well!!!]
                                But I won't forget THAT joystick.

Comment

Working...
                                X