No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had it for about 2 years now. AF is slow as you can imagine. That size of glass doesn't exactly move quick on an older EF build. I use the 24. f1.4L most than anything else and have to remind myself of why it's so slow in comparison.

I've owned the 1.8 and the 1.4 and have been very impressed with those for the price point. Is it worth going up to this one? Probably not to be honest. But, I spent about 2 years looking for one and an ebay search emailed me one day. A pro photographer who looked after it like it was his third child was switching to Nikon after getting sponsored. So, the entire Canon inventory was put up for sale. I got lucky pay less than the market rate. The newer f1.2, while not as sharp at 1.2 than the 1.0 is (this depends on the quality of the individual lens you have) will work better I think. However, I love this piece of glass for what it can do when thrown on the 5D sensor at ISO 1600 with barely any light!

The prices have surprisingly seem very stable even after all these years. Along with the 200m f1.8L.
    blog

Comment

• Btw, I'm a fan of vignetting in photographs. Really like it when used right. Shooting wide open on a FF sensor certainly helps get this effect naturally as I'm pushing lens to the most they can do.

I thought I would show you what f1.0 looks like on a 5D. This is natural vignetting. (please excuse yours truly, the bumbling idiot behind the camera )

blog

Comment

• Very nice shots, haf.

Comment

• haf, nice lenses, nice pics, nice vignetting, nice car belonging to friend!

When do you use your 85 f1.8?

Comment

• Thanks guys. Very kind with the comments.

I use the 5 f1.8 for a long distance type of portrait:

Or, when I'm really far away but still want some bokeh:

blog

Comment

• Originally posted by stargold View Post
              Now, this is more like it - a m4/3 camera that seems to take full advantage of the smaller form factor, and a bunch of new lenses (including a prime with 34mm equiv.).

Looks very attractive - the silver/black looks perfect in fact!
              And its out for Singapore!

Available in two colours: black and white, the Olympus E-P1 will be retailing at all major retailers and dealers in July 09.

S$1,298 – standard lens kit (M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6)
              S$1,488 – pancake lens kit (M. ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm f2.8)
              S$1,598 – twin lens kit (M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 and M. ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm f2.8)

PS : mod, sorry that this is not DSLR, its more of a rangfinder camera.

Comment

• haf,

Your shots are great! Give us some night shots when you fly, will you.

Comment

• Thanks wsssaero!

Here are a few

blog

Comment

• sorry if this OT, where i can look for camera shop in SIN? my friend ask me to buy me when i'm SIN, he's looking for nikon 18-200 vr (no idea what is this), can someone point me to right direction.

Or, maybe someone know shop in BKK also

Comment

• Originally posted by mhadian View Post
                      sorry if this OT, where i can look for camera shop in SIN? my friend ask me to buy me when i'm SIN, he's looking for nikon 18-200 vr (no idea what is this), can someone point me to right direction.

Or, maybe someone know shop in BKK also
                      Alan Photo or Cathay Photo or MS Color

As usual, do your homework before you shop. Call, ask for prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by khellek View Post
                        Alan Photo or Cathay Photo or MS Color

As usual, do your homework before you shop. Call, ask for prices.

Cathay Photo : http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/
                        Alan Photo : http://www.alanphoto.com.sg/
                        MS Color : http://www.mscolor.com.sg/

Comment

• haf, thanks for sharing your F1 pics. Were you using your 200mm lens? You managed to get a few closeups of single cars. Were those pics cropped? Or were you just very near?

Would we need at least a 300mm or 400mm to get close ups of individual cars? I've read that the Canon 300mm f2.8 is a really good lens. Thinking of getting that. The 400mm f2.8 is too heavy and expensive. The 400mm f5.6 does not have IS which I'm not happy about. The 500mm f4 seems too bulky. Carrying it around for trips and events might become a logistical problem for me. I want my equipment to help me take the pictures I want, and not become a hindrance instead.

I was thinking that since the 300mm 2.8 is meant to be a really good lens, if I add a 1.4 or 2X converter on it, image quality should not be affected too drastically? It seems like a good compromise to the 500mm lens.

Would a 500 mm lens be OTT at such events? I'm not a huge guy and I don't want the equipment to look bigger than me. I know the 500mm would be so useful for photographing birds but I should hope a 300mm with a TCx2 would be ok too?

Any thoughts from everyone? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                            Any thoughts from everyone? Thanks!
                            Since you asked, here is mine:

Who is going to carry your camera bag?!

At the rate your wish-list is going, your bag's going to be heavier than you!

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                              haf, thanks for sharing your F1 pics. Were you using your 200mm lens? You managed to get a few closeups of single cars. Were those pics cropped? Or were you just very near?

Would we need at least a 300mm or 400mm to get close ups of individual cars?
                              On a side note: If you're planning to go to the Singapore Grand Prix - i noted one of their T&C - you can't bring a lens with a focal length longer than 300mm.
                              Only the accredited press can I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by stargold View Post
                                Since you asked, here is mine:

Who is going to carry your camera bag?!

At the rate your wish-list is going, your bag's going to be heavier than you!
                                I always carry my own gear when walking around! Ask all my travel companions for verification.

That's why I'm so reluctant to get the 500mm. I don't know if it would be physically possible for me to carry a 500mm attached to a body and tripod, a 100-400mm attached to another body, a wide-angle and a mid-range lens. Water supply, memory chips, batteries, filters, etc. I can't really be walking around with all that gear while trying to hunt down some birdies and wildlife?

The logistical problem also extends to plane travel. I'd need a big enough, strong and lightweight bag to carry all these gear. The bag must yet be small enough to be a handcarry and be light enough to be lifted into the overhead cabin by myself. I get away with throwing the two bodies and a couple of 'smallish' lenses into a bag small enough to fit under the seat at the moment. But if I have to carry all these big lenses at the same time, I'd need to put them into the overhead compartment; and I know I won't be able to lift the bag up by myself.
                                Last edited by phaleesy; 3 August 2009, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X