How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    On a side note: If you're planning to go to the Singapore Grand Prix - i noted one of their T&C - you can't bring a lens with a focal length longer than 300mm.
    Only the accredited press can I think.
    Not the Singapore GP. It's too expensive for me. I'm not even interested in cars. Was thinking of Silverstone events. A lot more affordable and closer to home.

I wonder if the >300 mm rule applies to all events like these, or is it just the Singapore GP in particular?

Looks like the 300 mm is a lot more versatile. If I attach a x2 converter on it, no one would know it's a 600 mm. Easier to move around with a 300mm too.

Comment

• Phaleesy,

I used a 200mm with a 1.4x converter. Since I'm using the 5D with Full Frame sensor, that works out to be only 280 mm. But I was standing relatively close most of the time.

If you are using a camera with a 1.6x crop on your sensor you could easily walk in with a 300mm lens and not bother with the converter as you're gettng much more than that anyway (and I highly doubt the security guard will be given a list of Full Frame DSLR bodies!).

If you do use a converter, attach it after you walk through the security gate.

If you're curious though, a couple of years ago I photographed the Melbourne GP (I lived across the st. luckily!) and used a Canon D60 with a 75-300mm IS lens. That equates to a Field of Crop View (FoCV) of 480 mm:

full slideshow here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hafid/s...96458660/show/

480mm samples:

blog

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post

Looks like the 300 mm is a lot more versatile. If I attach a x2 converter on it, no one would know it's a 600 mm. Easier to move around with a 300mm too.
        That'd work for a daylight event, although I don't know if it's a good idea for that at the Singapore GP. your 300mm F2.8 will be a 600mm with an F number several stops slower.

Comment

That'd work for a daylight event, although I don't know if it's a good idea for that at the Singapore GP. your 300mm F2.8 will be a 600mm with an F number several stops slower.
          This really isn't a concern. It's so bright out there on a track it *is* daylight!

If his camera is good enough, he can always up the ISO. On the 5D, ISO 1600 is perfectly clear. On the MkII, ISO 3200 works very, very well (same goes for the comparable Nikons).
          blog

Comment

On a side note: If you're planning to go to the Singapore Grand Prix - i noted one of their T&C - you can't bring a lens with a focal length longer than 300mm.
            Only the accredited press can I think.
            Didn't have an issue with that when I went for the inaugural SGGP last year with my 100-400. It ended up staying in the bag after the start when I got too lazy to snap any more pics.
            Last edited by Nick C; 3 August 2009, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• haf,

Can I ask what settings you were using for those shots at the SIN F1 GP last year?

I'll be heading up this year and need to brush up on my night photography before I go

Comment

• Gunnar,

I use a lot of different settings, and then some minor post processing after wards if need. I shoot all manual so off the top of my head I can't really tell you (unless you pour through all the EXIF data).

It also depends *heavily* on what camera and lenses you plan on using as you know.

What I will say is don't stay in one spot. I did that and got bored after 10 minutes so then starting to wander around and get some different shots from all over the place. Made the photos much more interesting!
                blog

Comment

• Originally posted by haf View Post
                  If his camera is good enough, he can always up the ISO.
                  Yes, she can - I've seen great results at higher ISO numbers on the 5D

Comment

Gunnar,

I use a lot of different settings, and then some minor post processing after wards if need. I shoot all manual so off the top of my head I can't really tell you (unless you pour through all the EXIF data).

It also depends *heavily* on what camera and lenses you plan on using as you know.

What I will say is don't stay in one spot. I did that and got bored after 10 minutes so then starting to wander around and get some different shots from all over the place. Made the photos much more interesting!
                    haf,

I use a Canon 40D with either a EF 70-200mm f/4L or EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS but as SQFlyergirl has pointed out the whole "can't use anything bigger than 300mm", I might be leaving the 100-400mm in the bag and instead throw on a 1.4x or a 2x converter instead.

Yeah I wont be sticking to the one spot, I get awfully fidgety after taking the same shot from the same spot over and over hehehe

Comment

• I have that same 70-200mm f4L non IS lens and used that a lot with my 1.4x converter. For me that's 280mm, for you that's 448mm so you will get some great zoom capability on your body (which has a 1.6x FoVC).

Leave the 100-400 at home I say...less weight to carry around. It's not exactly going to be a chilly night so anything to prevent working up a sweat is a good thing!
                      blog

Comment

480mm samples:
                        Thanks for the samples, haf. It seems like 400mm is the minimum for close ups.

QUOTE=SQflyergirl;101401]That'd work for a daylight event, although I don't know if it's a good idea for that at the Singapore GP. your 300mm F2.8 will be a 600mm with an F number several stops slower.[/QUOTE]

A 600mm F5.6 on a monopod, ISO1600 should be ok I think.

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                        Didn't have an issue with that when I went for the inaugural SGGP last year with my 100-400.
                        The 100-400mm is 189 mm (and 1380g). The 300mm f2.8 is 252 mm (and 2500g). The 100-400 is a lot more compact, which could explain why some people could get away with that lens.

What I'd really like to do, has anyone seen amateurs walking around with a 100-400mm attached to one body, and a 500mm or 300mmx2 attached to another. Can they actually physically move about easily? I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record but the decision between a 500mm and 300mm is bugging me!

Comment

Yes, she can - I've seen great results at higher ISO numbers on the 5D
                          Thanks for the correction!

I always shoot ISO1600 at night b/c I'm not a big fan of usng my flash. The pics from Koh Samui for example - all the ones shot at night are ISO1600 and you can barely notice any grain. That is hands down the best feature of the 5D IMO.
                          blog

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                            Thanks for the samples, haf. It seems like 400mm is the minimum for close ups.

What I'd really like to do, has anyone seen amateurs walking around with a 100-400mm attached to one body, and a 500mm or 300mmx2 attached to another. Can they actually physically move about easily? I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record but the decision between a 500mm and 300mm is bugging me!
                            After shooting, get a good zoom in to check noise. Can't remember how well the 40D handles ISO1600. Think it should be just fine though.

I see the press carry 2 bodies and long lenses (you'll see quite a few at the race) but not amateurs. I think it's doable, but you'll need to be very careful naturally. What lenses do you have?
                            blog

Comment

That is hands down the best feature of the 5D IMO.
                              Both Mark I and II?

Rather confused about the relative merits of a 1D compared to a 5D Mark II at the moment! Other than the fact that the 1D can be used as a weapon for self-protection.

Comment

After shooting, get a good zoom in to check noise. Can't remember how well the 40D handles ISO1600. Think it should be just fine though.

I see the press carry 2 bodies and long lenses (you'll see quite a few at the race) but not amateurs. I think it's doable, but you'll need to be very careful naturally. What lenses do you have?
                                I have a 5D Mark I. Would be likely to get a Mark II in a few weeks unless anyone can convince me a 1D is lots lots better. Second body is a 400D for the moment. I thought the Mark II would be good since the higher MP would give a better image with cropping.

Various wide and mid-range lenses. The only rather longish lens I have at the moment is a 70-200mm F2.8. We have a 75 to 300mm which we hardly use and which I don't really like.

For wildlife, I'm thinking of getting a 100-400mm. It's got a wide range and it's lightish. Initially I thought I might get a 500mm for the second body. But am now getting slightly worried about the weight and logistic issues. The only compromise I could think of was to use a 300mm with a x2. I'm just thinking by the time I fiddle with adjusting the 500mm, the birds would have flown away! Would be worse at races, I'd be tied down to one spot if the equipment was too bulky and heavy.

Comment

Working...
                                X