No announcement yet.

The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the rules are not enforced, then Yes.

But to me 22" bags are inconsiderate to others. They do not fit into the overhead bins (especially the 777s) longitudinal and that means one has to put it in sideways. You take up others space.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      If the rules are not enforced, then Yes.

But to me 22" bags are inconsiderate to others. They do not fit into the overhead bins (especially the 777s) longitudinal and that means one has to put it in sideways. You take up others space.
      Thanks for the advice. I have never done carry on a luggage (except for my laptop backpack) and I agree with you that it will be inconsiderate of me to do that especially when I myself won't want to be the one on the receiving end either.

Comment

• Rimowa, cheaper in Singapore, or at Zurich airport, or Munich airport or in Bristol?
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• Originally posted by kapitan View Post
          Rimowa, cheaper in Singapore, or at Zurich airport, or Munich airport or in Bristol?
          Maybe not of any help to you but the last time I looked (a few years ago), it was cheaper in NYC compared to Germany and the UK.

Edit: perhaps it may be different for you if you can claim back VAT ?

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
            Maybe not of any help to you but the last time I looked (a few years ago), it was cheaper in NYC compared to Germany and the UK.
            No plans to go to NYC, will be stuck in Bristol for three days from the 19th, absolutely nothing to do, so thinking if it could be cheaper there,..... Will be going either thru Zurich or Munich, ..... I'll probably pop into the store here in Singapore and check the price then compare when I am at those places...

Comment

• Originally posted by kapitan View Post
              Rimowa, cheaper in Singapore, or at Zurich airport, or Munich airport or in Bristol?
              When I bought mine 3-4 years ago, it was cheaper in Singapore than in Germany or the US - I think there was a 10% PPS discount (or might have been the PPS Amex for the discount, can't remember which).

Comment

• There is now a promo of 10% off first item and 20% off second item (of less value than first item) in Rimowa stores in Singapore. IIRC this is a KF/PPS Amex promotion.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarG View Post
                  There is now a promo of 10% off first item and 20% off second item (of less value than first item) in Rimowa stores in Singapore. IIRC this is a KF/PPS Amex promotion.
                  I was at Rimowa store at Millenia Walk this afternoon, was not told of any promotions. Only told that PPS will have 10% discount, but too bad I have lost PPS status. But the sales guy told me that he would only need to know the number, do not need to see the card...... ideas!!!

Comment

• http://www.koffer-direkt.de/rimowa-t...rolley-63.html

Will get this, someone in Germany will order online and keep it there for me until I arrive to collect, almost half the local Singapore's price and VAT refund too...

Listed in Kris Shop catalog as S$1353 and with GST will be 1447... Or Euro equivalent of 825....

http://www.krisshopair.com.sg/produc...50512436263927
                    Last edited by kapitan; 1 February 2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Got myself this at Lufthansa World Shop in Hamburg Airport, its 551 euros after tax rebate

Its a 75.5 cm alu series multiwheel made by Rimowa for Lufthansa....

After my second check in with this luggage, BRE-MUC-CPH, found this , bit sad, only second check in.... Haiz

Looks like some baggage handler whacking it with a metal rod.... But only saw after got out of airport and so cannot claim against airline...

The beauty of it is, I called up Rimowa Singapore and they will pick it up for me at any address I specify, have it repaired and deliver it back to me.... Well, at least it is now in the shop

Comment

• Always felt the material looked a little easy to ding up on those Rimowas... thanks for the first-hand advice, I hope they repair it for free for you

Comment

• DS: 2 wheeled Hard Clamshell with latch lock (no zippers)

Anyone know which brands have got the vintage hard clamshells like the Samsonite Oyster of yore, but with two wheels? Basically I'm looking for a two-wheeler hardshell 24"-27" with latch (key/combo lock) instead of zippers, but no joy. There are two wheeler hardshells but can't find any with combo lock. BTW, I've discounted Rimowa mostly because of its "steal me quick" look. I need a hardbody counterpart to my BR Baseline 27".

Comment

• Please allow me to share my recent experience after buying two Samsonite suitcases costing S$400 each and two Samsonite backpacks costing S$130 each. One of the backpack had manufacturing defect. I sent it to the Samsonite Service Centre in Singapore in July (ie nearly four months ago) for repair under warranty. Thereafter, I could not get through their phoneline. Every call took me to their phone mail box to hear an announcement that the mail box was full. Multiple calls to the head office of Samsonite Singapore also fell on deaf ears or that the three staff whom I spoke with earlier had already resigned. There have also been no response to my emails to its regional head office on Hong Kong and the global HQ in USA.

On Friday 14 Oct, someone finally called me to say they have prepared a voucher for my collection as they were unable to find a replacement or to repair the defective backpack. But to my horror, and to add insult to injury for keeping me in the dark for nearly 4 months, the voucher they issued me was not for the full value of the backpack that I was promised.

When I bought the backpack, I received a 10% discount using my Amex card and Samsonite is now insisting that if I want a similar backpack valued at S$130 as a replacement for the one that had manufacturing defects, I have to pay Samsonite 10% on top of the value of the voucher they issued me.

If the discount I received was directly given by Samsonite, I can agree to pay the additional 10% to get back a backpack of the original value. But if Amex had paid for the 10%, then it is not right of Samsonite to only compensate me with a voucher worth less than the value of the backpack I purchased as I would then be getting a replacement backpack of a lesser value than the one I bought. I asked whether they could give me a 10% discount on their $130 backpack. They said "no" as the voucher could only be used for regular-priced items with no discount allowed. Under the circumstances, I have informed Amex to see whether they could or should claim back the 10% from Samsonite.

Furthermore, I noticed the Singapore Samsonite Service Centre was in a mess when I visited them. I asked the staff what happened. They said they were moving out. I asked where to. They said "Samsonite is closing down". I was shocked. I do not think Samsonite is closing down.

I managed to get to speak with the Retail Manager and I sensed that he was someone who could give his staff hell. He was very arrogant and rude. It is no wonder the office is in a mess, no one picks up phone calls or clears phone mail messages.

I hope Samsonite will do something quick before the manager cause more damage to its brand and market share. Already I can see on the Internet the huge number of customers complaints about the quality of Samsonite products and its poor after sales service. Samsonite is nevertheless a very well established and trusted brand and that was the reason I bought two suitcases and two backpacks in one go. But it is unfortunate that its after sales service in Singapore is not up to the standard expected of the brand.

At any rate, today the Singapore Service Centre offered two backpacks as replacement for my selection. They claimed both were of the same size as the one I bought and cost S$130 each. What I saw, when I went down to the centre, were two backpacks smaller than the one I bought and one of the two were regularly-priced in other Samsonite shops at S$120 (not S$130 as they claimed). As I have lost complete trust in Samsonite and do not wish to continue dealing with this company, I decided on a S$120 backpack of a poorer quality but of the same size as the one I bought at S$130 as a replacement. I feel cheated but I supposed I have no choice.

I noticed many customers were crowding the Service Centre this morning. Like me, many of them could not get any service staff on the phone. The warranty promise requires Samsonite to deliver the repaired item to the customers' address. It looked like many had to turn up at the Service Centre to collect themselves. I also noticed that the number of Samsonite products sent in for repair has over-flown from the Service Centre at the back of the retail outlet onto the retail shop space and the corridor of the shopping mall. The three very young foreign workers from the Philippines were trying their utmost to help their customers but their manager was no where to be found.

It is very sad that this is happening to one of the oldest and best brand of travel products in the world.

Comment

• Is this the service centre at Shaw Centre? Interesting...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                                Is this the service centre at Shaw Centre? Interesting...
                                Thk it's now at plaza Singapura

But agree with Richard. I have lost faith in samsonite, at least the franchise or outlet in SGP. I had a similar experience last year over a PC brief case and after several phone voice mails and personal visits to the Svc centre, I finally got a voucher of close to that value. Similarly I don't want to drag it on and so just settled. Part of the reason was also, in view of my relocation to Australia, I was counting on any damages to be addressed in Sydney

Comment

Working...
                                X