Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flyguy
    replied
    its a relieve and good to know that the new budget T4 will now have aerobridges as initially when they announce the new T4, it was without aerobridges - and I did write in to CAAS then and now good to know now they have incorporated the aerobridges in. Its also will help prevent some delays due inclement weather and especially nowadays with the weather changes we see more rainfall at this current period.

Leave a comment:

• SQueeze
    replied
    Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
    And that is exactly what the LCCs have demanded, even before the original Budget Terminal was built. Hence the design, IMO, has been driven by the twin-objective of maximising revenues (more shops) and minimizing costs (large pax traffic, smaller footprint). I would assume the true LCCs will use the remote parking bays more often than the pretend-LCCs.
    Oh, talking about maximizing revenue,

T4 will have the passport control at one end of the building, furthest from most gates. The idea is to force people to walk past as many shops as possible.

It won't be like T1,2,3 where you have an option of turning right or left after the immigration. In T4, everyone walks past every shop towards the gates.

Leave a comment:

• CarbonMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
    The whole design, to me, is bland. It will be comfortable but i don't think it is memorable architecturally. Changi's emphasis, just like in the other terminals, is indeed on the content and not the looks. Making money is definitely more of a priority rather than an architectural statement.
    And that is exactly what the LCCs have demanded, even before the original Budget Terminal was built. Hence the design, IMO, has been driven by the twin-objective of maximising revenues (more shops) and minimizing costs (large pax traffic, smaller footprint). I would assume the true LCCs will use the remote parking bays more often than the pretend-LCCs.

Leave a comment:

• SQueeze
    replied
    Originally posted by boing View Post
    Interesting to note from this pic that the terminal seems to wrap around the SATS inflight catering centre. Plus there seems to be a vehicular bridge right beside the catering centre. The design of the ramp control tower seems a tad too bland in my opinion.
    40% of pax arriving at T4 (out of total capacity) will be using remote bays. Because of space constraints, the remote bays are located on the other side of the ECP. The vehicular bridge is the connection. If you notice the box next to the bridge, that is the T4 bus terminal housing 10 bus gates.

The whole design, to me, is bland. It will be comfortable but i don't think it is memorable architecturally. Changi's emphasis, just like in the other terminals, is indeed on the content and not the looks. Making money is definitely more of a priority rather than an architectural statement.

Leave a comment:

• CarbonMan
    replied
    Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
    Any idea who's that Reggae dude?
    David Buffonge, Asian director at Benoy.

Leave a comment:

• CarbonMan
    replied
    Originally posted by boing View Post
    Interesting to note from this pic that the terminal seems to wrap around the SATS inflight catering centre. Plus there seems to be a vehicular bridge right beside the catering centre. The design of the ramp control tower seems a tad too bland in my opinion.
    Functional is the keyword here. It is after all the budget terminal.

However, I like the way they intend to plant trees at the upper deck of the taxi holding area. Very kind of them to remember to give the drivers some shade.

Leave a comment:

• flying.monkeyz
    replied
    Any idea who's that Reggae dude?

Leave a comment:

• boing
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 9V-JKL
    replied
    Originally posted by chrispstan View Post
    Use of aerobridges paid for by the carrier, not passengers.
    Yes but carriers will bill passengers so its the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• chrispstan
    replied
    Hmmm... from no aerobridges to aerobridges now??? So kiss the cheaper airport taxes goodbye!
    Use of aerobridges paid for by the carrier, not passengers.

Leave a comment:

• CarbonMan
    replied
    Hmmm... from no aerobridges to aerobridges now??? So kiss the cheaper airport taxes goodbye!
    I thought I read half and half.

Leave a comment:

• flying.monkeyz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CarbonMan
    replied
    More details released on T4 today.

http://www.changiairportgroup.com/ex...-FINALWEB-.pdf

Leave a comment:

• flyguy
    replied
    of course its obvious that Changi is the only main commercial airport and Seletar as a small general aviation airport for private operators and some for general maintenance centre. What I meant is that for a small island state, there are 5 airfields(incl military airbases).

Leave a comment:

• MAN Flyer
    replied
    Originally posted by flyguy View Post
    at this time SIN actually have 5 airports and if includes the Changi naval base and its adjoining runway then its 6 - but the 5 are Changi, Paya Lebar (till after 2030), Seletar, Tengah and Sembawang airbase.
    Five airports ?. What commercial flights operate from Tengah and Sembawang ?. The only real current commercial airport in Singapore is Changi. The others are a mixture of ex and current air bases although doesn't Seletar still have some short commercial flights on puddle jumpers to the odd Malaysian and/or Indonesian islands?.

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
    Sudong, together with Pawai and Senang is a MINDEF live firing area. The air strip is used for landings and take-offs by fighters as well as helis.
    Sudong is handy as back up in the event of any war on the assumption that the major air bases would be an early target. I suppose so would Sudong by most possible adversaries but when you've got the most powerful air force in the region and a country less than 50 miles wide you need somewhere to use them from, including the roads that have been designed to be converted for use.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X