Third runway and T4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changi reveals details of Terminal 4

Changi Airport Group has announced an over-US$1.3 billion plan to develop a fourth terminal, enhancing airfield capacity and providing more aircraft parking stands.

The new facility – to rise on the old Budget Terminal site closed since last year (see here) – is designed to handle 16 million passengers when launched in 2017, bringing the total capacity of Singapore's main airport to 82 million a year. Planned expansion of the existing Terminal 1 will increase this by another three million.

T4 will cater to both full service and low-cost carriers, and feature 17 additional narrow-body and nine new wide-body aircraft stands. These expand the total aircraft parking stands at Changi Airport by 24 per cent, to over 180.

The two-storey building will be 25 metres high and have a gross floor area of about 160,000 sqm.

The new T4 will follow a similar style to the others at Changi (see here and here), but feature a heavier focus on self check-in, self bag-tagging and self bag-drops. The baggage sorting system will be upgraded with the latest technology and be fully automated. A multi-storey car park, to be constructed next door, is expected to house 1,200 vehicles.

http://www.businesstraveller.asia/as...-of-Terminal-4
    More terminal with more parking stands but still only 2 operational runways...

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
      Wonderful!

Then again I am wondering if they felt that expanding the third runway may be easier said than done as the logistics of the process may not be so clear.

Comment

I just hope that T4 has a good observation deck.
        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

At least in recent parliament meeting, someone finally mention we need to plan for a consolidated terminal between runway 1/2.

This is the matter of efficiency and productivity. Runway 3 will still be needed but it is by 2020. Recently study has concluded we has not fully utilized the capacity of runway 1/2.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
            This is the matter of efficiency and productivity. Runway 3 will still be needed but it is by 2020. Recently study has concluded we has not fully utilized the capacity of runway 1/2.
            Our ATC very KS here. If we analyse the departure pattern during peak period, and a lot of the departing aircraft are small (A320 / B737 / ATR), why does ATC mandate all aircraft to end of runway and use 4000m for departure? These smaller narrowbody aircraft simply do not need 4km and they are just hogging up the departure queue, wasting time and burning additional taxi fuel.

I hope NATS can do something about it for CAAS.

Comment

Our ATC very KS here. If we analyse the departure pattern during peak period, and a lot of the departing aircraft are small (A320 / B737 / ATR), why does ATC mandate all aircraft to end of runway and use 4000m for departure? These smaller narrowbody aircraft simply do not need 4km and they are just hogging up the departure queue, wasting time and burning additional taxi fuel.

Guess they may be using a old guide line and no one is willing to put up for change (responsibility). So the safer way is to build more since the money is there to spend.

Comment

the 3rd runway will be the current one which is used by the air force/navy - which is actually runway 02R/20L. This runway will be lengthened, widen and strengthen and be ready to use by 2020.

Comment

Changi mulling over need for fourth runway

CHANGI Airport is studying the need for a fourth runway to cater to more flights in the coming decades, even as plans are finalised for a third landing and take-off strip.

http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-...unway-20130318

Comment

actually Changi do not even need a 4th runway for another 2decades or more and even the 3rd runway will be sufficient. Its currently or in near future not so much the issue of runway - but more of ground ATC and ATC itself that been somewhat causing the congestion. As one can see Heathrow is one of the world's busiest and it operates with just 2 runways and the number of flights is almost more than half of what Changi handles - so is HKG, Narita and even BKK. However Changi do experience esp morning congestions and the wait can be 15 to 30 mins. Its the long sequencing of flights that causes the delays as often Changi spaces the take-off by up to more than 2 mins.
                    Just last mon on SQ flight to CAN on departure on runway 02L - our plane was held back by almost 6 mins just to wait for a arriving Silkair plane!
                    And later on the return flight our aircraft was scheduled to land at 535pm but the pilot told us that there's congestion and we circled off Trengganu 3 times and then another time circled over tioman before we were cleared forapproach and we landed at 605pm.
                    Changi ATC needs to be better skilled and have enough manpower to ensure lesser time separation between aircrafts landing and taking off. Having 4 runways with ATC retrictions will also not help alleviate the congestion much.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                      Just last mon on SQ flight to CAN on departure on runway 02L - our plane was held back by almost 6 mins just to wait for a arriving Silkair plane!
                      That's outrageous, I hope you called the police.

Comment

I agree with you. In addition, separation between these small aircraft types can be smaller and thus increase TO vol.
                        At ORD, on multiple occasions, the A320/B737s I was on were given TO clearance the moment a similar plane in front of us went wheels up

Comment

CHANGI Airport is studying the need for a fourth runway to cater to more flights in the coming decades, even as plans are finalised for a third landing and take-off strip.

http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-...unway-20130318
                          I am not sure if we can get as many passengers/aircraft to fly into Singapore?
                          I guess unless we have some kind of mass transport between Singapore to Malaysia or even Batam.
                          Last edited by cscs1956; 21 March 2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I am not sure if we can get as many passengers/aircraft to fly into Singapore?
                            I guess unless we have some kind of mass transport between Singapore to Malaysia or even Batam.
                            I know I am wasting my time with this but.... When are you going to finally grasp the concept of a 'hub' airport, the size of which has nothing whatsoever to do with the size of the country or it's population ?. A large percentage of the passengers at Changi are neither Singaporeans nor are they even visiting Singapore, they are in transit from one destination to another. Why is it so hard for you to understand this ?.

Changi Airport, like many airports around the world especially in Asia, is going to keep getting bigger and busier, you might as well get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              I know I am wasting my time with this but.... When are you going to finally grasp the concept of a 'hub' airport, the size of which has nothing whatsoever to do with the size of the country or it's population ?. A large percentage of the passengers at Changi are neither Singaporeans nor are they even visiting Singapore, they are in transit from one destination to another. Why is it so hard for you to understand this ?.

Changi Airport, like many airports around the world especially in Asia, is going to keep getting bigger and busier, you might as well get used to it.
                              You get these concept totally wrong. Transit passengers does not help much in economics. These type of passengers will also reduce when aircraft is able to fly longer distance (QF is one good example), and most importantly when rest of the regional airport start to progress.

Comment

You get these concept totally wrong. Transit passengers does not help much in economics. These type of passengers will also reduce when aircraft is able to fly longer distance (QF is one good example), and most importantly when rest of the regional airport start to progress.
                                If transit passengers don't "help much in economics" then why is there an ENORMOUS number of retail and F&B outlets in the transit areas of all 3 terminals? Read MAN Flyer's reply again and try to make a logical connection between that statement to economics.

And QF switching from Changi to DXB on the Kangaroo Route may reduce the number of transit pax, but the growth of pax numbers using other airlines may more than offset this loss in the future.

Hopefully you can understand this and post something of different quality than many of your previous posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X