Shanghai Hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
    Dude, a recommendation like that might just swing you from Kyo+ to Kyo-... I have NOT heard good things about that property.
    I haven't heard ANYTHING about that property! Pray reference..?

And we all know jhm will sacrifice himself by suffering at the St Regis when the need calls for it!

jhm: If you've got HHonors status, or if you're just curious, do check out Waldorf Astoria on the Bund. It's newly opened and looks awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      The LRM for one night then
      You better hope they don't wake you up in the middle of the night when you have DND on :

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...4&postcount=48

Do you have Hyatt status ?. The GH and PH are much better.

Comment

Dude, a recommendation like that might just swing you from Kyo+ to Kyo-... I have NOT heard good things about that property.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          You better hope they don't wake you up in the middle of the night when you have DND on
          That didn't happen to me but it did p*ss me off to have somebody keep ringing the doorbell and knock at 10am this (Saturday) morning whilst I was still trying to sleep. It happened a few times over half an hour and each time I ignored them and they went away. They finally came back an hour later and I found out that they just wanted to ask me whether I had any laundry ?!? WTF - I'm checking out that morning!

The LRM suite was nice enough and a lot better than the faded Westin where I am now. Both are better than any hotels in Pudong simply because of the location, e.g. proximity to XTD and Hengshan Road etc.

After a few nights this week of formal Chinese banquets (with a weird mix of Chinese, Japanese sashimi and western which I had to be quick to grab before the lazy suzy moved on and too many toasts), I'm very glad to hit Shanghai and western food! (Plus I think if I want Chinese food, it's better in HK and Taipei.) I didn't think much of the French resto at the LRM, Allure (I had to stop the waiter spoiling my steak by pouring some yucky Szechuan pepper sauce over it) but the Italian at the Westin, Prego is not bad (perfectly fine pasta and pizza). Will try the western resto (Mediterranean with a French chef) at the Pen (Sir Elly's) this evening - the view of the Bund is meant to be good but as for the food, who knows!

Comment

Oh, and the LRM scores bonus points with me because not only did I get a bowl of fruit but also a box of a dozen yummy looking cookies (although I haven't tasted them yet). I can only recall this happening at one other hotel before (the Hilton in Nagoya).

Comment

Will try the western resto (Mediterranean with a French chef) at the Pen (Sir Elly's) this evening - the view of the Bund is meant to be good but as for the food, who knows!
              It was too foggy for views and whilst the food (tasting menu) was nice, it was nothing special by international standards given the pricing. I enjoyed much more the piping hot Shanghai dumplings which I had at 2am later that night at one of the eateries along Huanghe Road.

I also had a few drinks at the Long Bar in the Waldorf Astoria. No views and a singer who can't sing. It's no big deal at all.

Comment

You still there jhm? You might enjoy Mr. & Mrs. Bund, if you have the time.

Comment

You still there jhm? You might enjoy Mr. & Mrs. Bund, if you have the time.
                  Thanks for the recommendation but I'm back home now. I haven't heard of this one but I see that it's by Paul Pairet. I tried Jade on 36 at the Shangri-La a few years ago when he was running that and despite the gushing then about innovative fusion blah blah blah, it wasn't something which made me think WOW (I just remember glass jars and a lot of foam)!

Comment

That didn't happen to me but it did p*ss me off to have somebody keep ringing the doorbell and knock at 10am this (Saturday) morning whilst I was still trying to sleep. It happened a few times over half an hour and each time I ignored them and they went away. They finally came back an hour later and I found out that they just wanted to ask me whether I had any laundry ?!? WTF - I'm checking out that morning!

I did warn you!. When I was there they also rang a few times, I finally got up and told them to go away, so they did and rang instead.

I don't know what it is about that place and laundry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      If you don't mind being on the boring side, do try out the St Regis for us
                      As requested:

Typical old-fashioned look for a St Regis property. Kinda showing its age in certain aspects - I can actually feel the springs on my mattress! Prefer the Meridien.
                      Last edited by ginkoka; 7 June 2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Thank you ginkoka for that comprehensive first-hand experience, and the photos also! Unlike some of us here who only implied but failed to offer anything concrete.
                        Last edited by Kyo; 8 June 2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

u're welcome! glad to contribute something useful to this forum.

tried to post room pics that i uploaded to flickr, but they're not showing in my post above. i can email them to anyone who's interested

btw, the internet connection at st regis SUX - erratic and slow like dial-up.

Comment

Hello - planning for a family trip up to Shanghai in September and was hoping to get thoughts on any ICHG properties in Shanghai which are both of good value and well located for a tourist.

I was just looking at both the IC Puxi and the HI Puxi - the HI is going at c. S$100 a night so that's actually quite good value. Any thoughts though?

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                              Hello - planning for a family trip up to Shanghai in September and was hoping to get thoughts on any ICHG properties in Shanghai which are both of good value and well located for a tourist.

I was just looking at both the IC Puxi and the HI Puxi - the HI is going at c. S$100 a night so that's actually quite good value. Any thoughts though?
                              Hi, care to share where u got the deal? I am currently looking at options for my stay at Shanghai in mid-October.

Thanks.

Comment

ICs vs Hilton

I'm in a bind and need some help choosing a hotel in SHA for this weekend...

Looking to stay from Friday night to Monday morning. Due to FH programs, I have narrowed it down to the Hilton (one more stay before 14 Oct and my silver card will be swapped for a gold one) or the IC Puxi (Ambassador status and cheaper rates) or the Indigo for views. I have SPG Gold status, never used it though in four years...

Stayed at the IC Pudong before for one short night (stopover only), so it's my first visit to SHA. My SO is coming up for Sat and Sun from SG and she's got a preference for the Bund. Me, no clue. The nicer hotel with better service I guess.

Looking forward to your recommendations!
                                /Desert Traveller

Comment

Working...
                                X