Starwood properties in Hong Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    I vehemently believe that "W" and "luxury hotel" have no business being in the same sentence...let alone the same article!
    WorldWide WoW now enough for ya? What more do ya want?
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by The Age
      I was checked in and lying on my bed 90 minutes after my flight touched down.
      Impressive for HKG perhaps given its location but I'd be disappointed if I'm not lying on my bed in any hotel in SIN within 60 minutes after the wheels touch down.

Originally posted by The Age
      The hotel has two dining options: Fire, a refined restaurant with a fine-dining feel, and Kitchen, a more relaxed bistro-style area that serves "global comfort food".
      Are Fire and Kitchen standard names across some W hotels ? The W Maldives has:

Fish - focusing on seafood (surprise!); modern fusion (e.g. sea urchin sausage)/fine dining; pretty expensive but also rather good

Fire - all you can eat (seafood, different steaks, chicken, vegetables etc) from a selection of different cooking stations

Kitchen - quick meals and the cheapest of the three

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post

Fish - focusing on seafood (surprise!); modern fusion (e.g. sea urchin sausage)/fine dining; pretty expensive but also rather good

Fire - all you can eat (seafood, different steaks, chicken, vegetables etc) from a selection of different cooking stations

They must keep things the same as to not confuse their staff.
        HUGE AL

Comment

They're just using the K.I.S.S principle HUGE AL

Comment

I think it's meant to be for the new ones only. I'm quite surprised they'd come up with 'generic hotel style' restos like that, as the early Ws did pride themselves on their individuality - from a resto perspective that meant a unique and high quality 'destination' resto, such as Nine Thirty at the W LA , Wave at the W Chicago-Lakeshore, XYZ at the W SF, or Heartbeat at the W NY Lexington. IIRC most of the earlier Ws have 1 resto only.

Further, this might be due to the fact that the older Ws are mostly corporate-owned whereas the latter ones could be franchises.

As much as it pains me to say it, I don't like the direction the brand has taken restaurant wise if they've indeed started prescribing in this manner. Yes there's merit in brand familiarity but this is also a brand that prides itself on breaking the mould (as ironic as that sounds). Then again I've only seen the menus at W HK and I'm not sure whether other Kitchens and Fires have the same offerings - hopefully not or it'd be lame.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 May 2009, 05:35 PM. Reason: my fat fingers...
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

All kidding aside, I will take my good friend, KeithMEL's, suggestion and try the W HK then next time I'm in town...if that ever happens again...

Really miss HK pre-1997...
              HUGE AL

Comment

try the W HK then next time I'm in town...if that ever happens again...
                Something terrible must have happened the last time you were in HK ? One of your fans recognised you and got a bit too eager perhaps ?

Comment

try the W HK then next time I'm in town...if that ever happens again...
                  Something terrible must have happened the last time you were in HK ? One of your fans recognised you and got a bit too eager perhaps ?
                  Or his real name is Edison Chen...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                    Or his real name is Edison Chen...
                    I have been introduced as Michael Chang a few times...

Nah, I just miss the cleanliness and they way things were during the British occupation. Many others do as well...
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Nah, I just miss the cleanliness and they way things were during the British occupation. Many others do as well...
                      How so ? I've been to HK loads of times - pre- and post-1997 (I was even there on the night of the handover lining a road waiting for the PLA troops to come across) - and I can't say it feels that different to me ... but that may jsut be me!

Comment

How so ? I've been to HK loads of times - pre- and post-1997 (I was even there on the night of the handover lining a road waiting for the PLA troops to come across) - and I can't say it feels that different to me ... but that may jsut be me!
                        I think it's just you.

Perhaps an HK DO?
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Perhaps an HK DO?
                          There's actually a mFT HK DO the week(end) after next but I at least have no inclination to fly all the way to HK to spend it in the company of other Brits in a English pub drinking all weekend!

Comment

Perhaps an HK DO?
                            That I can do but hurry....

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              That I can do but hurry....
                              How much time do I have?
                              HUGE AL

Comment

How much time do I have?