No announcement yet.

Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who may be interested they have refreshed the lounge at the Royal Orchid Sheraton and it is much better than before when it looked rather dark and dreary. They physical layout is the same but it's had a repaint, new furniture and new carpet and it's certainly done the trick.

Comment

• Why would you even go there to check?

Comment

• Second best Starwood property in Bangkok mate. Probably actually the best at the moment as at least they still give you a Suite without having to use a Suite Upgrade.

I had the very unusual situation of most of a midweek day with nothing to do for most of the day so decided a relaxing few hours by the river was in order. Plus I had to recover from a night out with Lobster that he cleverly called a night at the right time.

Comment

• Well, there is the St Regis to contend with...

Westin still gets my <3, I've gotten a suite at the Royal Orchid once or twice a few years ago when I used to pop in (THB2700 cheap rates available virtually any Friday night back then) - but it was far more frequent that I got the Jr Suites rather than the normal suites.

Comment

• 4 points Sheraton

Sheraton looks old and tacky, have a look at the 4 Points on Soi 15, it's a couple of years old so fairly new and cheap (and redemption is ony 3000 starpoints/night)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post

Well, there is the St Regis to contend with...
              I just don't like it. It's get my pet hate dual lift system for a start but the service was absolutely appalling the couple of times I stayed there. I don't know what it is about St Regis in S.E. Asia as the one in Singapore is the same.

Originally posted by Durian View Post
              Sheraton looks old and tacky, have a look at the 4 Points on Soi 15, it's a couple of years old so fairly new and cheap (and redemption is ony 3000 starpoints/night)
              It depends where they put you. It is old in some places, then again so is the best Starwood property in Bangkok. But some of it has been refurbed and the new lounge is nice. It's all about the views anyway at the ROS and I do like being on the river for a change.

As for the 4P, I drink at Ambar on virtually every visit to Bangkok as some of the staff are ex-BarSu and good friends, but I don't like the hotel itself. It must be doing well though as I see rates approaching the higher rated SPG properties. Redemptions at Starwood properties are of no interest as I have never redeemed a single point on a starwood property. Every time I hit 20K they go straight to an airline FFP.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                I don't know what it is about St Regis in S.E. Asia as the one in Singapore is the same.
                I don't know what it is with you, I get the service I should be getting at the SGS at the St Regis, and when I'm at the SGS, I don't feel any more special at all (only apart from when I hosted my wedding there)...

The 4P thinks they are beyond a 4P, possibly a Sheraton (non-Grande), basically

A close friend of a friend of mine who worked there just left as there were too many egos and said it's even worse at the W.

Comment

I don't know what it is with you, I get the service I should be getting at the SGS at the St Regis, and when I'm at the SGS,

It's funny how most of the posts on the threads on both these properties on FT seem to share the same feelings I have towards the service at them. It's not the brand itself as I love the St Regis in San Francisco, it's clearly something to do with whoever runs the brand in S.E. Asia.

As for the SGS, I don't know what it with you there. With the exception of the good old days at the Conrad Singapore and the Sheraton Saigon it has been the hotel where I have been consistently looked after the best in any property I have frequented over the last decade anywhere in the world. They have just recently lost brownie points due to a number of successive Grande Suite denials. But I expect normal service to be resumed when the refurb is complete.

The 4P thinks they are beyond a 4P, possibly a Sheraton (non-Grande), basically

A close friend of a friend of mine who worked there just left as there were too many egos and said it's even worse at the W.
                  Never been a fan of the rooms there, but I do like Ambar. I still haven't stayed at the W (have you tried it yet ? ) and keep thinking I should but the location puts me off, and the reviews haven't been great either. One of the BarSu girls went to work at Woo Bar but she quit after a month.

Comment

Probably actually the best at the moment as at least they still give you a Suite without having to use a Suite Upgrade.
                    I just love how this is such a criteria for you.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    I don't know what it is about St Regis in S.E. Asia as the one in Singapore is the same.
                    SR Singapore always holds a special place for me as they treated my family like royalty -- and I was halfway across the planet!

Every time I hit 20K they go straight to an airline FFP.
                    The absolute best use of SPG Points.

...I love the St Regis in San Francisco...
                    Um...I remember MAN Flyer being LIVID when he didn't get his suite there last time. Took a couple drinks before his mood changed.

As for the SGS, I don't know what it with you there. ...it has been the hotel where I have been consistently looked after the best...
                    Agreed. The three times I've popped in there, they've been AWESOME.

But now the Hyatt has me intrigued...

They have just recently lost brownie points due to a number of successive Grande Suite denials.
                    Proof!
                    HUGE AL

Comment

They have just recently lost brownie points due to a number of successive Grande Suite denials. But I expect normal service to be resumed when the refurb is complete.
                      If you had my SGS experience getting suite denials, I'd bet you would ban BKK for life!
                      Never been a fan of the rooms there, but I do like Ambar. I still haven't stayed at the W (have you tried it yet ? ) and keep thinking I should but the location puts me off, and the reviews haven't been great either. One of the BarSu girls went to work at Woo Bar but she quit after a month.
                      Haven't done AmBar - only just had one stay since my sworn decision never to go back (and only because the d*ck who was in the front desk left the property), it's not too bad but the Westin gets my dollar over them anyday. Where I receive rockstar-like treatment, ala MAN Flyer's SGS treatment.

Haven't done the W either - but mainly because I've actually dropped my frequency of BKK visits since I've been off to more... exotic locales near your homebase.

That will change back to normal in the next month or so..

And for the record, I think Suite upgrades do elevate the stay experience to another level, especially when you are travelling with others. And if you're MF, at the SGS, they're sure to make or break a stay

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        Um...I remember MAN Flyer being LIVID when he didn't get his suite there last time. Took a couple drinks before his mood changed.
                        You managing to persuade the complimentary Bentley driver to exceed the FOC drop-off limit to that bar/restaurant we went to also helped to offet the annoyance of no Suite. Still prefer the W next door.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        If you had my SGS experience getting Suite denials, I'd bet you would ban BKK for life!.
                        Possibly. I have been very lucky at the SGS as I would say out of almost seventy stays there I have had a GD Suite around sixty times.

I suppose that's why I feel so badly let down the last few times when I didn't get one.

Haven't done AmBar
                        I like AmBar and it's only a fine minute walk from the SGS, which is handy. The reason I go there is to see Ms B who used to work at BarSu. There was also the lovely Ms E (also ex-BarSu) who worked in the Beer Vault so I could catch up with both on one visit. Never stayed there though after giving it a try in the early days.

Sadly Ms E has left and gone to live in Atlanta with Cedric (ex BarSu Manager) who has got a job at the W in Buckhead, Atlanta. I did drop lucky on their leaving do though which was good fun.

Comment

• No wonder I didn't see Cedric refently!! Great guy and knows how to bust a move but really, kinda out of place...

Comment

No wonder I didn't see Cedric refently!! Great guy and knows how to bust a move but really, kinda out of place...
                            It's got worse at the SGS. BarSu has now also lost Amy and even worse the Living Room has lost Sonia, who I have known for years going back to the days when she worked in BarSu.

That's the entire group that was part of that magnificent ( and bonkers ) team of girls from BarSu from 4-5 years ago have now left the SGS completely.

Comment

• Aw, I was gonna pop in briefly tomorrow to say hello. I think their resident DJ needs a bit of a change, too many oldschool 'hits' nowadays

So who's left now?

(incidentally, anyone in BKK for NYE?)

Comment

Aw, I was gonna pop in briefly tomorrow to say hello. I think their resident DJ needs a bit of a change, too many oldschool 'hits' nowadays

So who's left now?
                                Nuch is still there, thankfully, although she isn't one of the original gang anyway. I don't think I have been in BarSu for a late drink since the beginning of last year. Not giving me a suite hasn't helped that of course.

I have been spending more time in Living Room although Sonia leaving is a blow as I now have to put up with Lady Gaga and her equally daft sister.

Comment

Working...
                                X