No announcement yet.

State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looks like this current situation might be over by the time you arrive Man Flyer based on today. A few more details to finalise and it seems the red's will disperse.

Good news indeed.

Of course, the underlying issues are still there but it will be nice to see Bangkok return to normal again for a while!
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• the FCO (UK) has revised its travel advice to Thailand. It no longer advises against all but essential travel to the whole country. It does however still advise to avoid bangkok.

Comment

• Enjoy yourself guys, don't let the red shirts bite... was very tempted but ultimately decided to wait out til all is resolved...

Comment

• It seems as though SQ have dropped some flights to Bangkok for the next month or so. Down to 3 flights a day for most of May. Currently returns to normal in June, but I guess it's subject to change.

Comment

• Not surprised to be honest, last nights SQ976 was very quiet. J was less than half full, and that flight is normally chocka on Fridays.

Still took 1h 45mins to get from Suvarnabhumi to the SGS though...

Comment

• Im about to board SQ979 , Sequence number 115, so looks to be half full maybe a bit more at best if there is many more behind me. Only 3 flights today too.
              BKK SKL is very quiet indeed. Although I am led to believe it is low season right now anyway?

Taxi got a flat tyre on side of the freeway about 5km short of the airport bugger ! Got rescued fairly quickly though by another taxi.

Have a pleasant stay in BKK Man Flyer. Awaiting Red shirt announcement tonight on possible dispersal date. Here's hoping

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                Im about to board SQ979 , Sequence number 115, so looks to be half full maybe a bit more at best if there is many more behind me. Only 3 flights today too.
                BKK SKL is very quiet indeed. Although I am led to believe it is low season right now anyway?
                Ha ha! Do you mind me asking what seat you were in?

Me and the Mrs were on the same flight, in 12A/C. From your earlier post I guessed you might be on that flight, so I was the guy that kept looking around at everybody trying to memorise their faces

Yes, SKL was pretty deserted. Me and the Mrs were the only ones in there for a while, which made it hard for me to eat too many tubs of ice cream without getting incredulous looks from the staff there

When the SKL started to get too crowded, i.e 3-4 more people (including yourself?), we decided to go lounge hopping. The two TG lounges in C concourse were also nigh on empty.

Comment

• Dinkumdave,

I was not up the front but back in 33K unfortunately! I did arrive in the SKL at about 5pm I think, probably walked right by you, I vaguely remember a couple in there but I may be imagining things, you should have pm'ed me for a lounge meet! The long walk to D6 was annoying, hope they finish the taxiway works in front of the lower D gates soon.

I was the guy with the laptop, glass of white wine, and big plate of dim sum sitting in the SKL by the garden view windows.

cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                    Dinkumdave,

I was not up the front but back in 33K unfortunately! I did arrive in the SKL at about 5pm I think, probably walked right by you, I vaguely remember a couple in there but I may be imagining things, you should have pm'ed me for a lounge meet! The long walk to D6 was annoying, hope they finish the taxiway works in front of the lower D gates soon.

I was the guy with the laptop, glass of white wine, and big plate of dim sum sitting in the SKL by the garden view windows.

cheers
                    Hi Dazz,

Were you the young guy in the green shirt?

So that I don't get flamed for taking this thread off topic, here is my take on the red-shirt protests:

The newspapers are reporting that it will all be over soon. But my experience has been that what is being reported in global media is often far from the truth.

Last week I had some matters to attend to which were right in the centre of the red occupied zone. At first I was going to shy off, but in the end I was glad that I didn't. I got the chance to speak to some of the red shirts and it was quite enlightening.

What I saw with my own eyes was totally the opposite to what was being reported in the press.

Whilst in the red zone, I felt totally safe at all times. In fact, many of the red shirts went out of their way to ensure that I was comfortable and being looked after.

As for the rest of Bangkok, it seemed like business as usual to me. If you keep your wits about you, you should be able to avoid any trouble - if it were to flare up, and lets hope that it doesn't.

As I always tell myself each time I visit Thailand - statistically you are much more likely to be injured by some crazy driver whilst crossing the road.

Comment

• Dinkumdave, can't send you a Pm so...
                      I am 28 yrs old, i was in a black shirt with green logo on it.

I didn't go right into the red zone on my trip but i was hanging around the entry point snapping a few photos at prattunam whilst I waited for a klong boat the other day. I felt fine too, but I still disagree with the way they have gone about the protesting.

Anyways, Im back in Bangkok around the 28th of May if anyone is around again.

Comment

• I'm around early morning on the 28th of May

Got a flight at 13:35...

Comment

• Things seem to be deteriorating rapidly tonight with shooting having broken out. I was out earlier and there were a lot of troops on the streets.

Comment

• Yikes!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225866420461

So much for reconciliation....
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• I have no sympathy for Sa Daeng.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                                Oh dear I popped into BarSu tonight and it seems that my memory of the night is not 100% intact. For example the Cell Phone Salad incident which I have absolutely no memory of at all. Which did rather upset Ms B as she had spent half and hour cleaning my phone after said incident.

Do you remember plus, plus...plus ?.

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                                I have no sympathy for Sa Daeng.
                                I presume you also had no sympathy for the yellow shirt leader who was machine gunned down a few years ago either then ?. They've both done essentially the same thing, caused immense problems for Bangkok and the Thai economy. I have no time for Sah Daeng either, but at least he's been up front and honest about what side he is on, unlike the sneaky faceless generals behind the yellow lot.

I have sympathy for anyone who loses their life in this pointless and uncessary dispute going on between Thai people, started by the Bangkok elite and their yellow shirts. I am afraid even if they disperse this protest, and I have a feeling they will do so very soon as messy as it will be, the problem will not go away and will probably come back a lot worse at some point, probably when the king departs. When that happens I'm staying away for a while.
                                Last edited by MAN Flyer; 14 May 2010, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X