State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
    I never bought a travel insurance till now but I'm definitely getting one for my trip to BKK in July.
    You need to check your insurance T&Cs carefully to make sure that it doesn't exclude all claims if you go somewhere like Bangkok.

Comment

• Originally posted by kpc View Post
      Have been watching the situation closely as I'm due to fly on SQ in to Bkk for 6 nights in early July. SQ had a note on their website that they will waiver / allow reroutes / postponements of flights to Bkk but this note seems to have disappeared....any one know what is SQs current atititude with flights to Bangkok given the current crisis?
      Just reappeared on the website:

17 May 2010

In view of the current situation in Bangkok, Singapore Airlines will extend a waiver of applicable fees for rebooking or rerouting only, for confirmed tickets to and from Bangkok.

The waiver, which is valid for tickets issued on or prior to 14 May 2010, will be for travel up to and including 31 May 2010, on all Singapore Airlines flights to and from Bangkok.

The same conditions apply for KrisFlyer redemption tickets.

Customers travelling to Bangkok are advised to keep apprised of developments there via news reports and government travel advisories.

Comment

• I have to say I am very pleased to be out of Bangkok now as I think it is going to get very nasty (or should I say even nastier) over the next couple of days.

Just a tale of caution for anyone going, although the troubles are confined mainly in one area my boss the other day was in a taxi in an area outside of the cordoned off area when a gun battle broke out between some soldiers and a group of red shirts so trouble can break out anywhere.

Comment

• post deleted
          Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:20 AM.

Comment

• first official service reductions I've seen announced, many more to follow I'm sure:

JAL Reduce Bangkok flight in June 2010

JAL from 01JUN10 to 30JUN10 is reducing Nagoya – Bangkok and Osaka – Bangkok service, due to on-going incident in Bangkok, leads to security concern and fall of passenger reservations.
            Details:

Nagoya – Bangkok Reduce from Daily to 3 weekly (Day 357)
            Osaka – Bangkok Reduce from Daily to 4 weekly (Day x136)
            source: airlineroute.net
            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• I arrived at BKK Airport yesterday. All is good at the airport.

My 3 days of meetings in downtown Bangkok where confirmed cancelled just when i had arrived in BKK.

So what to do now???

I got into a Limousine from BKK & went for a 2 hour drive to Pattaya.

Now I have 3 days of relaxing on the beach & in the bars of Pattaya

Thanks to the Red Shirts

Comment

• Well, a large amount of buildings have been set on fire by red shirt protesters including Central World complex. BBC had a good report just now.

Curfew tonight everyone, 8pm to 6am if you are there.

Comment

• It's chaos in Bangkok at the moment, and the Government have just admitted there are parts of the city they do not control. Bangkok Post newspaper and one of the TV channels have been attacked.

If anyone is there, stay inside for a couple of days.

Comment

• Centralworld has been completely destroyed.

Comment

• I can still see that thing burning live on the news. Lot's of power outages all over the city as well.

Comment

• Safe travels SQ221...
                        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                          Safe travels SQ221...
                          Thanks Mate.

We are having a Curfew in Pattaya tonight also.

The Walking Street has been closed down, pubs...ect.

Camping out the night in my hotel room now

Comment

• It's total madness here, our Bangkok office has not bothered to open like most other companies (plus it's a pain with no Skytrain). I am working from the appartment. Today was something else, shootings, burning down shopping centres and circling helicoptors.....

Lets hope this brings it to a close, I fear this will drag on.

Looking out the window (I am on the 21st floor) it's really strange to see empty streets with the curfew, hard to believe I am in central Bangkok.

Anyone else who is also here be sure to stay safe.
                            Last edited by AsiaCommuter; 20 May 2010, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              I can still see that thing burning live on the news.
                              At least you have news! Doesn't appear that anyone in the USA cares about SEAsia. We're having to resort to news from all kinds of weird sources.

On another note: our beloved SGS: http://twitpic.com/1p2ezl

(sent to me by another frequent guest there)
                              HUGE AL

Comment

• I have been refraining from making any comments, since I know I'm likely in the minority and I would be even more disliked here.

But I really have to speak!

1. The King is not lily-white.

2. Does Thailand have oil reserves?

3. Does Thailand have the potential to achieve superpower status?

Presumably no for Q2 and 3, Thailand is not a threat to certain 'world leaders'. There is therefore no need to put on a hypocrisy act and be all gung-ho about 'Why is there is no democracy' bs that these world leaders like to come up with.

Just my 2 pennies.

Comment

Working...
                                X