State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
    My upcoming week in Bangkok is already cancelled, looking for an alternative city in Asia (I reckon it'll be Seoul, Tokyo or Singapore unless they decide to surprise us with a week in Vietnam).

If it will be Singapore you may imagine what will happen with N_Architect there for a week...
    Make sure you keep us well updated

I was *almost* considering to go into BKK this weekend as earlier planned, but just not gonna do it in the end...

Their cheapest Y tickets are $313 (no miles) and $376 (Q Fare), they were double this end-March.

TG's J tix are still expensive at $832...

Thinking to buy a few Qs and then change the dates...

In comparison, SQ wants $483.20 ex-SIN, but for a BKK-SIN-BKK, their cheapest is only $275 (no miles) vs $376 (Y)

In start contrast, SQ's J seats going at a whopping $1420.65 (regularly, this is in the $1083 - 1200 ranges)
    Last edited by Kyo; 27 April 2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Hi all,

I am going to Bangkok tomorow. will be there for 1 night, then im going to Delhi for a few days, due back in Bangkok on Monday morning.

My uncle is there at the moment, all quiet for now. My partner is going about life as per usual, no drama other than increased traffic.

Still hoping this can be resolved peacefully.

Cheers
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Make sure you keep us well updated
        Thanks Kyo+, sure I will (soon, I hope).

UPDATE: It's Singapore!!! 12-21 June (get ready, here I come)
        Last edited by N_Architect; 28 April 2010, 04:39 AM.

Comment

I expect to see some cracking photos

All the best for your trip too Lobster

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobster View Post
            I just got the OK for my work trip to Bangkok so it looks like I will be there between 1st and 15th May
            A bit surprised about that, especially as the FCO have just upped their warning to cover all of Thailand and not just Bangkok:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/news/latest...ws&id=22129898

Comment

Thanks Kyo+, sure I will (soon, I hope).

In the house! We will have a Liquid-Week, just for you

j/k... j/k...

Seriously though, we should have a mini-SIN DO... I nominate 9V-SIA and LionCity to organise

Comment

j/k... j/k...

Seriously though, we should have a mini-SIN DO... I nominate 9V-SIA and LionCity to organise
                2nd that...

If it is on the 17th or 18th though as I will be away before that
                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  A bit surprised about that, especially as the FCO have just upped their warning to cover all of Thailand and not just Bangkok:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/news/latest...ws&id=22129898
                  Yeah my company does not take much note of FCO warnings as probably about 75% of the places we work are on the FCO no go list.

Comment

j/k... j/k...

This sounds like fun!
                    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

• Hi Guys,

I arrived at BKK last night on SQ978. flight was about 70% full at a guess, not too bad. Everything at Suvarnabhumi was completely usual looking, although it was probably a little quieter than usual.

Got a cab into the HuaMark area, near Ramkhamhaeng uni where i live when im in bangkok, everything here seems completely normal, wouldnt know anything was happening at all unless you checked the news. Obviously I know things could change any minute but I dont usually hang out in the places the protests are so for now I feel fine here. I have to go over to the Khao San area for a lunch appointment shortly, I believe that area is back to normal again now.

Im flying out again tonight to Delhi, but ill be back Monday morning for the rest of next week. I will venture out a bit probably next week and see what the vibe is along the skytrain route.

Comment

• Ramkhamhaeng is definitely nowhere near the centre of action. Khao Sarn is closer to the scene of some protests, but again - not the centre of action this time around. Siam/Rachaprasong is where the main problem is and lots of traffic are diverting (and creating humongous jams at peak hour) into, e.g. Petchburi Rd.

The Skytrain wasn't running two days ago, but was running yesterday. It's very intermittent and whether it runs or not... depends... on many factors...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                          Yeah my company does not take much note of FCO warnings as probably about 75% of the places we work are on the FCO no go list.
                          I don't blame them. They just dish out warnings of some sort for the slightest reason these days just to cover themselves in case something does happen. Having said that, some of the places you go are a bit 'fun'.

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                          I just got the OK for my work trip to Bangkok so it looks like I will be there between 1st and 15th May
                          Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          ill be back Monday morning for the rest of next week. I will venture out a bit probably next week and see what the vibe is along the skytrain route.
                          I may be there myself next Saturday if you guys fancy a drink. Won't know for certain until next week with what the situation is there. There are troops all around Asok and near the SGS now apparently.

Comment

• Would you still stay at the SGS given the current situation? It's *almost* but not quite blocked off, from what I gather... sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Comment

Would you still stay at the SGS given the current situation? It's *almost* but not quite blocked off, from what I gather... sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.
                              As long as it's open I'll stay there. I do have a booking there for next Saturday, which was a cheaper non-refundable booking for last weekend but as I got volcanic ashed they kindly changed it for me. I have been in regular contact with Richard the GM. BarSu has been closed a bit recently, it's only been open Wednesday to Saturday this week.

I hope it's open next weekend if I am there...

Comment

Ramkhamhaeng is definitely nowhere near the centre of action. Khao Sarn is closer to the scene of some protests, but again - not the centre of action this time around. Siam/Rachaprasong is where the main problem is and lots of traffic are diverting (and creating humongous jams at peak hour) into, e.g. Petchburi Rd.

The Skytrain wasn't running two days ago, but was running yesterday. It's very intermittent and whether it runs or not... depends... on many factors...
                                Hi Kyo! Zero going on in Khao San right now apart from the usual backpacker types getting off their faces!!

Yes i know where the protests are but I just avoid them and loving Bangkok as usual. Seen lots of troops and police around the place, and even more on the route back into the airport this afternoon. BTS was only closed for 3 or 4 hours the other day until the tracks were cleared, it runs until 8pm most days at the moment, with MRT usual hours.

Thai people treating me beautifully and I am just very happy that I have come and seen that day to day life is running as usual for my partner! I was stressed before I got here.

And yes yes I know things could change but word today was the govt will wait out the protesters? who knows, but anyway I am here and glad. Ok so I've had a few vodkas at the royal silk lounge this arvo so I am slightly happier than usual.

MAN Flyer, I fly out about 6pm on saturday, probably free before hand though! let me know, and kyo if u come next weekend let me know too.
                                cheers guys

Comment

Working...
                                X