State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kapitan View Post
    I have flight to EU booked, am thinking of staying a night Friday then off to EU on Sat night... looking at situation, wonder if that is a good choice.... well still have a few days to decide...
    I've been here for the last 3 days and I would be hard pushed to know that the military had taken over. I've not seen a single soldier on the streets.

the curfew is a bit of a pain, but every night it is ignored more and more with most bars opening until midnight and saying that either today or tomorrow they will return to normal opening hours

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobster View Post
      I've been here for the last 3 days and I would be hard pushed to know that the military had taken over. I've not seen a single soldier on the streets.

the curfew is a bit of a pain, but every night it is ignored more and more with most bars opening until midnight and saying that either today or tomorrow they will return to normal opening hours
      Glad to know.....

I have booked to be in BKK Friday night... but that may change as something have cropped up, will wait until EU open later.

The club that I use to go posted that they will be opened, then a friend sent a pic last night..... lets see what happens..
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• I just passed through arriving at 1900 yesterday and now at BKK heading off again. I used the airport link/bts sky train to get from BKK to National Stadium and my hotel (mercure siam). All worked really well, used the same route back. Avoided all traffic, everything ran smoothly. I sat in my room and ordered room service during the curfew and did some work. Not so bad.
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
          I just passed through arriving at 1900 yesterday and now at BKK heading off again. I used the airport link/bts sky train to get from BKK to National Stadium and my hotel (mercure siam). All worked really well, used the same route back. Avoided all traffic, everything ran smoothly. I sat in my room and ordered room service during the curfew and did some work. Not so bad.
          you were fortunate that you had arrived 1900 hours, if earlier, the Phaya Thai station was closed...

Comment

Glad to know.....

I have booked to be in BKK Friday night... but that may change as something have cropped up, will wait until EU open later.

The club that I use to go posted that they will be opened, then a friend sent a pic last night..... lets see what happens..
            If you do make it on Friday and want to meet up for a drink let me know, I'll still be here

Comment

you were fortunate that you had arrived 1900 hours, if earlier, the Phaya Thai station was closed...
              Yes I read that it had reopened when I landed
              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• The curfew is being cut back to midnite to 4am from today

Comment

The curfew is being cut back to midnite to 4am from today
                  That's around the time we normally head out.

Comment

If you do make it on Friday and want to meet up for a drink let me know, I'll still be here
                    Noted, may be postponed, still waiting for news,... tixs issued for Friday though, but not likely I will fly Friday..

Comment

• it would appear that Facebook is now blocked.... wonder what next...

Comment

• So the coup is just a temporary measure for a few weeks or months 'to prevent civil war' and they will make preparations for fresh elections, after a number of 'reforms', which is Thai speak for jailing Thaksin supporterting MP's or banning them from standing under some trumped up charge or other...

So if they are only in temporary charge before fresh elections, why do the army feel the need to get involved in big ticket infrastructure decisions ?. Well, what 'allegedly' happens when large infrastructure contracts are handed out in Thailand ?. That's right, large brown envelopes change hands and/or bank accounts in Switzerland or elsewhere suddenly have large balance increases. As a friend in Thailand commented during the last coup : The other side just want 'their bit', which they don't get when Thaksins lot are in power...

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad for the vast majority of people in Thailand.

The National Council for Peace and Order will take two weeks to review big-ticket transport infrastructure projects, include the expansion of Suvarnabhumi Airport and the development of 10 Bangkok mass-transit lines and four cross-country high-speed rail routes.

After a meeting of the NCPO with Transport Ministry officials yesterday, Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong, the junta's economic chief, said the projects would be tabled for the council's consideration next week.

Project implementation plans, funding and other challenges will be studied in detail before a decision will be made.

The ministry has asked for a Bt380-billion budget for fiscal 2015, nearly triple the Bt130 billion for the current year, as some projects from the scrapped Bt2-trillion infrastructure scheme are now included.

Any changes to the board of directors and executive committees of state enterprises under the ministry will wait until a discussion with them on Saturday.

The NCPO will consider whether the free bus and train measure should continue, Prajin said.
                        http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30234911.html
                        Last edited by MAN Flyer; 29 May 2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Elections now delayed for 'about 15 months'.

Comment

• The curfew has now been lifted across the country including Bangkok

Comment

• I am in Bangkok early next month, and I have booked myself into the Grand Hyatt Erawan. I don't head to Bangkok often...anything I should be aware of? Any alternative recommendations?

Comment

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                                I am in Bangkok early next month, and I have booked myself into the Grand Hyatt Erawan. I don't head to Bangkok often...anything I should be aware of? Any alternative recommendations?
                                Nothing to worry about,.... Thailand is a Happy nation....

Btw, all clubs and bars closes at 2 am as requested by the authorities ....

Comment

Working...
                                X