No announcement yet.

State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things could go south very quickly the way it's going.

Suthep did say if trouble started he would call the protests off but I don't think he will, and I am not sure he could if he wanted to now. Too many people with vested interests involved in all this

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
    In the evenings it gets busy as all the office workers come to listen to the free bands playing

How is the traffic in the day time up and down Sunkhumvit at the moment ?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      Probably very, very exciting if you go all the way

Comment

• So I don't get it [from the ridiculous limited news we have over here]. Why doesn't the King (who everyone seem so to revere) just step in and tell everyone to stop with the nonsense and sit down and work this out? At the rate things are going (and have been for the past few coups), this is never ending.

[Disclaimer: I'm speaking from a point of sheer ignorance here.]
        HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          So I don't get it [from the ridiculous limited news we have over here]. Why doesn't the King (who everyone seem so to revere) just step in and tell everyone to stop with the nonsense and sit down and work this out? At the rate things are going (and have been for the past few coups), this is never ending.

If Tommy and Harry have been naughty and you know both don't exactly have a good record for being obedient, would you risk stepping in to mediate? Might be seen as an act of taking sides. But that is just my humble childish thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            it is no longer deserted like it was the first day. i would say there is about a third of the normal traffic level on it

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            So I don't get it [from the ridiculous limited news we have over here]. Why doesn't the King (who everyone seem so to revere) just step in and tell everyone to stop with the nonsense and sit down and work this out? At the rate things are going (and have been for the past few coups), this is never ending.

Basically the agreement is that the King stays out of politics. He has been known to make some subtle comments in his annual birthday speech and he did again this year but no one is listening at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post

As Lobster says, he generally tries to stay out of it even it one side have tried to drag the monarchy in by accusing the other side of ignoring the monarchy or being a threat to it. That tactic seems to have been dropped now in favour of just trying to get rid of elections they know they will keep losing.

Comment

• So one protest leader shot dead, one 'red' leader shot and seriously injured and grenades being thrown. Suthep did claim he would abandon the protests if violence started and they would protest outside polling stations but wouldn't block them, but as usual that's proved to be bollox.

Next few days could prove key in the run up to the attempt to have an election.

Comment

• Tension in Thailand

Tension in Thailand

It's been a very long while since I've done this so go easy!

This isn't so much a Trip Report as it is a small snippet of my past weekend in BKK (with Lobster and fumitani) - and as everyone knows, the place is in a bit of a mess right now. As some of you might know, Thailand is somewhere I visit extremely frequently, at one point on a weekly basis, and I don't mean for work, either. So it pains my heart to see the anger and rage simmering on the surface of the public - at one particular location, the hatred was so palpable that I genuinely feared for my life.

Fortunately, you don't have to experience that.

Please enjoy...

Asok Station Blockade

Terminal 21

Sukhumvit Blocked

Accessorise Yourself

Rally Warez

Joining The Fight

Whistle-Blower March

Rally

Shut It Down

Viva La Bangkok
                  Last edited by Kyo; 13 February 2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Rachaprasong Intersection Blocked

Vendetta

Suthep Speaks

Ratchaprasong Skywalk

Say Cheese

CentralWorld Still Accessible

Ratchadamri Road Blocked

For Thailand!

Tonight, We Fight

Amarin Blocked (notice the tents in the foreground, they relate to the next photo)

Throwing Tennis Balls at Thaksin
                    Last edited by Kyo; 13 February 2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Going Home

A Hard Day's Rally

Young & Old

Good luck Thailand!

United for Thailand

Part 2 Below
                      Last edited by Kyo; 13 February 2014, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Here's a mini-TR I've just completed

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13936

Comment

• Chok Dee Prathep Thai
                          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• Without your comments, Kyo, it almost looks a carnival in progress. Such a sad state of events for this beautiful land of a thousand smiles. Praying that these civil tensions won't spread further south.

Comment

• Comments / captions added now - yes CarbonMan, it does have a semi-festive atmosphere to it but when they start giving their speeches (and halt their music concerts), there are a lot of very upset Bangkok-ians. They've basically decided the government is way out of its depth and demanding a change, even if it's unconstitutional. This is a developing country we're talking about here, and such a (painful) process will take much time and more bloodshed.

Alas, this can't happen soon enough, imho. Elections aren't going to change anything.

Agree with you, kapitan, Good Luck Thailand!

Comment

• So weird to look at rather festive pictures when in reality this is such a stressful period for Thailand.

I was in Bangkok for a day and in the south of the country for a few more days when this type of thing happened in 2010. However, I never had any problems or felt unsafe and no one I talked to brought up the king or Thaksin or red/yellow shirts even once; just a great trip.

Agreed kapitan!

Comment

Working...
                                X