State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ221 View Post
    I got into a Limousine from BKK & went for a 2 hour drive to Pattaya.

Now I have 3 days of relaxing on the beach & in the bars of Pattaya
    Be careful.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...eania/thailand

Throughout Thailand there is a continued risk that protests may result in violent disturbances. You should exercise caution, especially in the northern and north eastern provinces and the eastern city of Pattaya. In recent weeks, protests and violent incidents have taken place in popular tourist destinations such as Pattaya ...

There have been a number of protests in the tourist resort of Pattaya. On 26 April, the protests led to clashes between pro-Government and anti-Government groups. Travellers to Pattaya are advised to exercise caution and to avoid demonstrations and large gatherings.

Comment

• Will be in Chiangmai on Sunday (heard there's the odd disturbance there too), BKK on Tuesday. Am actually quite worried.

Comment

• Hi all, curfew remains in place for 20/21/22 May. Time will be 9pm to 5am. Applies to Bangkok and all provinces under SoE.

Just been announced.

Cheers,
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          Will be in Chiangmai on Sunday (heard there's the odd disturbance there too), BKK on Tuesday. Am actually quite worried.
          Indeed - have read about troubles in the N.East - Khon Kaen and ChiangMai (have friends in both cities) and Udon Thani. Hope you have a safe trip SQfg

Comment

Will be in Chiangmai on Sunday (heard there's the odd disturbance there too), BKK on Tuesday. Am actually quite worried.

post deleted
            Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:26 AM.

Comment

• sounds like things improving in CNX SqFlyergirl.

Reds barricades disbanded in Chiang Mai
              By The Nation

Reds radio voluntarily suspended

Provincial police on Thursday took down the barricades of a main rally site in Chiang Mai without any resistance from the red shirts.

The barricades were located near Grand Waroros Hotel on Inthawaroros Road, where the local reds, known as the Rak Chiang Mai 51 Group, held their rally for months.

Some 10 red shirts were present to witness the disbandment but did not interfere with police work.

Community radio operator and red-shirt leader Worawut Rujanapinan said he voluntarily suspended his broadcast as a gesture of his cooperation with the authorities.

Worawut said two co-leaders, Phetchawat Wattanapongsiri and Kanyapak Maneechak, have remained hiding in Bangkok following the end of the Rajprasong rally on Wednesday.

He said the red shirts in the northern province will cease all activities although they might regroup and resume protesting within the next few months.

-- The Nation 2010-05-20

Comment

• Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                Indeed - have read about troubles in the N.East - Khon Kaen and ChiangMai (have friends in both cities) and Udon Thani. Hope you have a safe trip SQfg
                Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                Best wishes go with you on this trip. Hope you keep safe. I have friends there and the violence/action is sporadic from what I hear ... but it is such a volatile situation now.
                Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                sounds like things improving in CNX SqFlyergirl.
                Thanks fingers crossed I need a holiday

Comment

• Airlineroute.net today updates re Bangkok service reductions....
                  summary so far:

Garuda: 5 x CGK/BKK flights cancelled this month on various days

Emirates: Daily A380 swapped to 777 variants until end of May on DXB/BKK, a couple of days cancelled altogether. Appears no changes on other DXB flights including the HKG-BKK-DXB and SYD-BKK-DXB

Qatar: 77W swapped to 333 or 77L on a few days until end of May

Air China: 757 or 767 replacing 772 on selected days of May on PEK-BKK

Malaysia Airlines: Will be 2 daily, and sometimes 3 daily until mid june, down from I think about 4 daily on KUL/BKK

China Eastern: 1 daily flight on Shanghai flight cancelled until 26 May

Shanghai Airlines: Shanghai flight cancelled most days until 6 June

Asiana: 7 weekly to ICN instead of 11 weekly until 20 Jun

Vietnam Airlines: 1 of 2 daily SGN/BKK cancelled until 29 May. No changes on Hanoi.

I have just checked the SQ schedules on the SQ website, and it is 3 daily most days, but there are numerous dates until the end of May which only have 2 daily flights. As it presently stands the SQ schedule returns to a normal 4 daily flights on June 1.

How many did SQ have 4 years ago, wasnt it about 8 daily? Including 747s?

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                    [...]
                    Emirates: Daily A380 swapped to 777 variants until end of May on DXB/BKK, a couple of days cancelled altogether. Appears no changes on other DXB flights including the HKG-BKK-DXB and SYD-BKK-DXB

[...]
                    How many did SQ have 4 years ago, wasnt it about 8 daily? Including 747s?
                    Emirates' website still shows the A380 but only on certain days untill the end of May (Maybe i'ts not updated yet?). And I think 4 years ago, SQ had one 747 flight but that was flying SIN-BKK-NRT IIRC.

Comment

Thanks fingers crossed I need a holiday
                      I wouldn't call dodging bullets / petrol bombs / flying shoes a holiday! But if you do decide to continue with the trip, be safe...

There are alternatives, such as the SIN LD meet-up in June...
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                        Emirates' website still shows the A380 but only on certain days untill the end of May (Maybe i'ts not updated yet?). And I think 4 years ago, SQ had one 747 flight but that was flying SIN-BKK-NRT IIRC.
                        SIN-BKK-NRT was flown 6 weekly. With a 3 class 777. Then downgraded to 2 class 777 and then finally cancelled all together.

Comment

• I just got out of Bangkok tonight!!!

I was told by the local police in Pattaya to leave ASAP as Red Shirts have left Bangkok & are starting to build force's in there own home towns.

One police man said this is "The calm before the storm"

So i got my white arse out of there today

The 2 hour drive from Pattaya to Bangkok Airport was crazy. The Army & Police where pulling over cars at random to do checks. My Limo driver & I only got pulled over upon entering the airport. They wanted to see my passport & airline tickets.

Finally got to the Airport & Singapore Airlines got me on the next flight out. There was only myself & 3 other passengers in J tonight & it was one of the best flights i have been on.

Thanks SQ

P.S - Anyone thinking of going to Thailand at the moment....Dont!!! Cancel your trip, its not worth all the drama & your saftey. I was just one of the lucky ones!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                            And I think 4 years ago, SQ had one 747 flight but that was flying SIN-BKK-NRT IIRC.
                            They operated a 744 but it was just a straight forward BKK return, it didn't go to NRT. IITC the flight numbers were SQ64 & SQ67 ?, but they were great fun in F.

Originally posted by SQ221 View Post
                            II was told by the local police in Pattaya to leave ASAP as Red Shirts have left Bangkok & are starting to build force's in there own home towns.

One police man said this is "The calm before the storm"
                            I don't doubt there is a possible storm brewing in Thailand that could make this week look like a kindergarden party, but I'd be surprised if it was that imminent. I agree it's not the place to be right now.

Comment

• I've friends of mine travelling soon to Koh Samui on holidays, but I'm not sure it's the case.
                              Even though probably out of BKK the situation is not so bad.
                              There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                              If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

• I live and work in Pattaya, and there has been absolutely no trouble here - it is full of people who have escaped Bangkok. The curfew here is very relaxed and driving around in the evening after work/curfew was no issue at all. Policemen were very chilled :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X