X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more for Sydney:

Seafood
    Doyle's on the Wharf (Watson Bay)

N/B - There are 3 restaurants carrying the Doyle's brand (the others are Doyle's on the Beach which is also at Watson Bay, and Doyle's on the Quay at Circular Quay). While they carry the same brand, the quality varies greatly. Doyle's on the Wharf is generally considered to be the best outlet. I haven't tried Doyle's on the Beach, but AVOID Doyle's on the Quay as it seems to justify charging skyhigh prices for mediocre food by being located next to the Sydney Harbour and opposite the Opera House.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 April 2007, 01:01 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Pizza in Chicago

I've been meaning to update this thread since someone recently asked me about pizza in Chicago...

For "deep dish pizza" the local recommendation is definitely Pizzeria Due (619 N. Wabash) or Pizzeria Uno (29 E. Ohio). (Note, this does NOT include the Uno franchises you'll find elsewhere in Chicago & the Midwest, you'll be disappointed.)

For thin crust pizza, Lou Malnati's is a good choice (various locations through Chicagoland). We've also had some very good thin crust pizza at Barnaby's which is very close to ORD.
      Last edited by cawhite; 21 July 2007, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• Talking about pizza, is the crushed dried chilli a proper to have in enjoying pizza?

Comment

• Originally posted by CGK View Post
          Talking about pizza, is the crushed dried chilli a proper to have in enjoying pizza?
          I think that's an "individual preference" issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by cawhite View Post
            For "deep dish pizza" the local recommendation is definitely Pizzeria Due (619 N. Wabash) or Pizzeria Uno (29 E. Ohio). (Note, this does NOT include the Uno franchises you'll find elsewhere in Chicago & the Midwest, you'll be disappointed.)

For thin crust pizza, Lou Malnati's is a good choice (various locations through Chicagoland). We've also had some very good thin crust pizza at Barnaby's which is very close to ORD.
            Is thin crust a Chicago specialty? Just curious, because from what I'd heard, everyone admits that deep dish should be conceded to the Windy City, but there are other cities (I think Noo Yawk is one of them, and also New Haven) claiming thin crust as theirs.

(Until I get my waistline under control, pizza is a source of evil carbs. )

P.S. OP updated with the pizza recommendations.
            Last edited by jjpb3; 21 July 2007, 04:52 AM.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Some pizza places I had been were so surprised when I asked for dried crushed chilli peppers!

Comment

I've been meaning to update this thread since someone recently asked me about pizza in Chicago...
                cawhite, you're just asking for 'trouble'. Chicago seems like a place to head to for good Chicago style pizza.

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                Talking about pizza, is the crushed dried chilli a proper to have in enjoying pizza?
                Oh yes, with crushed chilli flakes on top...yummmy

Comment

• Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                  cawhite, you're just asking for 'trouble'. Chicago seems like a place to head to for good Chicago style pizza.
                  You'll have to make sure that your pizza run doesn't coincide with my steak run. If that is the case, cawhite is already booked.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    Is thin crust a Chicago specialty? Just curious, because from what I'd heard, everyone admits that deep dish should be conceded to the Windy City, but there are other cities (I think Noo Yawk is one of them, and also New Haven) claiming thin crust as theirs.

(Until I get my waistline under control, pizza is a source of evil carbs. )

P.S. OP updated with the pizza recommendations.
                    Chicago thin crust pizza is a bit different from New York thin crust pizza, so I don't usually compare the two. You'll really need to try both. There's also "stuffed crust" pizza which Giordano's is known for.

Comment

You'll have to make sure that your pizza run doesn't coincide with my steak run. If that is the case, cawhite is already booked.
                      Pizza for lunch, steak for dinner?

Comment

No worries there as I, too, want to try some juicy ribs. I thought you have been put off by certain officials at ORD?

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
                        What a great idea. Sounds good to me. Gotta make sure the time gap is huge betwen meals.... He he he he he

Comment

cawhite, you're just asking for 'trouble'. Chicago seems like a place to head to for good Chicago style pizza. ...
                          Just don't eat it on your flight here! Just be sure to let me know when you're going to be here!

Comment

No worries there as I, too, want to try some juicy ribs. I thought you have been put off by certain officials at ORD?
                            Well I'll just have to leave lots of time before the first reservation. What better way to unwind after the stress than some Chicago cuisine?
                            Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                            What a great idea. Sounds good to me. Gotta make sure the time gap is huge betwen meals.... He he he he he
                            Larger gap than the one between High Tea and dinner?

Comment

...Larger gap than the one between High Tea and dinner?
                              I can answer that. "Yes!"

Comment

Sounds like a winning combo to me

Comment

Working...
                                X