Die, die, must try! -- Eating outside Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
    La Colombe in Constantia (a suburb of Cape Town) - one of the restaurants on this working wine farm. A British chef cooking French cuisine with Asian (Japanese) influences. Stunning food and staff who were very friendly and enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their food and wine. This restaurant is not a discovery as such since it's widely reckoned to be one of the top restaurants in the country but it was miles better than the other well known place tried (Le Quartier Français). SA is one of the few places which isn't now quite expensive for UK tourists, e.g. it was less than US$20 in total for the recommended 7 glasses of (decent) wine paired with the tasting menu which was an absolute bargain!
    So you got suckered into going down there??? Dangerous in the bush?
    HUGE AL

Comment

• Pictures from the VVIP Brunch at Brenda's Soul Food.

Flight of Beignets, Brenda's Soul Food. From left to right, crawfish, chocolate, apple with cinnamon honey butter, and plain.

Special of the Day, Eggs Benedict, Brenda's Soul Food.

Andouille and Cheddar Omelette, Brenda's Soul Food. Sausage, cheddar, mushrooms, scallion, sauce piquant. The freshly baked biscuits are to die for!

Andouille and Cheddar Omelette, Brenda's Soul Food. Sausage, cheddar, mushrooms, scallion, sauce piquant. The grits were excellent!

Chicken, Sausage, and Okra Gumbo, Brenda's Soul Food.

Quote of the day...

"I thought we were walking up to the line of homeless waiting for food. That is until I saw the lady with the LV bag"

A couple notes about Brenda's Soul Food...

- The place is really small (about 30 seats).
      - The neighborhood can be a bit sketchy.
      - They are closed on Tuesdays.
      - You likely will have to wait so be prepared.
      - Meal is cheap.
      Last edited by kluau88; 28 May 2009, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kluau88 View Post

Quote of the day...

"I thought we were walking up to the line of homeless waiting for food. That is until I saw the lady with the LV bag"

Which douche bag said that???

Comment

• If you've ever been to Hawaii and the North Shore you will know that the popular dining attraction are the shrimp trucks!

Well here's my favorite, Giovanni's!

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
          83 Kamehameha Highway
          Kahuku, HI 96731

The infamous shrimp truck on the North Shore.

The Menu!

Shrimp Scampi!

Comment

• Evidence of a great meal? Burp!!

I also witnessed ws8n going for a second plate

Comment

• Brenda's Soul Food

kluau88, having spent a ton of time in SF, I never knew this place existed! We'll have to hang one of these times as I'm in the area almost every week or so...
              HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                So you got suckered into going down there???
                Yeah, this mistress-keeper led her pet through the nose onto the flight to CPT, then drove him around South Africa for more than 2000 km. Fortunately he had some time to graze with the rhinos and elephants.

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                Dangerous in the bush?
                Nothing that a fit game ranger with a long rifle can't handle.

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                  Yeah, this mistress-keeper led her pet through the nose onto the flight to CPT, then drove him around South Africa for more than 2000 km. Fortunately he had some time to graze with the rhinos and elephants.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

• This might be a little OT as I have not eaten at these places but happened to saw an article(from another forum) regarding higher end dining options in London which are still pretty wallet friendly. Ranging from 15 pounds to 35 pounds for set lunches.

http://blog.city-eating.com/2009/01/...-and-more.html

Maybe the Londoners can comment on these dining locations

Comment

• Everyone going/in Kuala Lumpur Should try these:
                      Restoran Oversea in Jalan Imbi
                      Signature Dishes:
                      ham yee fa lan bou:咸鱼花腩锅:braised fatty pork with salted fish in a clay pot
                      hong kong cheng soon hock yee tau:香港蒸笋壳鱼头:hong kong steamed soon hock fish head
                      Madam Kwan's in KLCC Suria(beware of long queues during lunch and dinner hours...everyday)
                      Signature dishes:
                      ayam rendang:chicken curry, traditional peranekkan style
                      Petai Sambal Udang: Petai beans(a local Specialty) and prawns stir fried with a special Sambal sauce
                      nasi kuning:coconut milk flavoured rice

yummy
                      I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

• I'll cast my vote in for Nasi Bojari at Madam Kwan's - it rocks!

Comment

• I have it easy in KL. I just trust the most renowned KUL-based SQTalker to guide me to the good spots.
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 27 June 2009, 01:53 AM.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Brenda's Soul Food

SQ LPP and I are currently enjoying plain and apple cinnamon beignets while awaiting the delivery of bananas foster french toast and an oyster + bacon omelet...and SQ Fan's flight. Not to worry SQ Fan, we are saving you some beignets. Then again, he may have to compete for them with kluau88 who had to work this morning and couldn't join us either.

OT: Paging DFP... SQ LPP wants to know "Where are you?!?!"
                            Last edited by cawhite; 28 June 2009, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• I suspect SQ LPP will need the calories for the (non-innocent, non-shy) activities he plans for this weekend? Keep him well-behaved, cawhite.
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                                I suspect SQ LPP will need the calories for the (non-innocent, non-shy) activities he plans for this weekend?
                                He's moved on from claims of innocence to claims of being from a small village...
                                Keep him well-behaved, cawhite.
                                We both know all too well what a challenge *that* can be...

BTW, yesterday we had egg tarts & curry puffs from GGB for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X