Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyo Goes Island-Hopping (aka Kyo Does The Maldives)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyo Goes Island-Hopping (aka Kyo Does The Maldives)

Day 1 - Landing at Hulhule!

Short and sweet TR... will let the pictures do most of the talking as it really is a beautiful place.

I had a one-day trip (+ 2 hours) to MLE in September (EDIT: previously this post mentioned this past weekend - shows you how long ago the beginning of the TR was written), leaving SIN on a Saturday night at 20:35PM on SQ452 (arriving at 10PM local Maldivian time which is 1AM Singapore!), and arriving back on Monday morning on SQ451. SQ451 is scheduled to depart MLE at 11:15PM (that's 2:15AM SIN time, for those wanting to do OLCIs asap) and returns to SIN by 07:00AM.

Bear in mind there is only one daily SQ flight to/from the Maldives, and it is VERY late at night by the time you land/check-in to your accomodation (especially if you're not staying at the Hulhule Transit Hotel).

The first section of this TR is mostly airport-related since there has been much speculation about what MLE is really like.

The SIN-MLE-SIN route is served by a B772 (non-ER). For tonight, we had:

SQ452 - Departures from Changi are from T2 to MLE

Above is 9V-SRI? Poor lighting + glare from the departure section = fuzzy photo, but I think that's what was written on there.

Here is a zoomed photo - But it is still fuzzy..

The flight itself was uneventful, and the meal served was probably lacking in inspiration but tasted okay.

Full Menu - Braised fillet of fish with garlic and ginger soya sauce, seasonal vegetables and steamed rice

Landing at Hulhule (aka Airport Island) - The gateway to the Maldives (Step 1)

After you land, you will immediately feel the soft, salty Maldivian night breeze. The moisture really makes an impression as you leave the drier pressurised confines of the cabin and start making your way across the tarmac (fear not ye faint of heart, the walk is at most, two minutes).

MLE - The main international terminal awaits (domestic terminal's next door in another hall).

Welcome to the Maldives - You know you're in the Maldives when you see this cheery wall (Step 2)

Turning to the right, immigration awaits (no photos allowed here). After immigration, the flow of the terminal loops back and all your luggage is scanned by X-ray machines. Since I had no baggage to claim (baggage carousel is directly to the far end on the right side of the hall behind immigration), I quickly walked out...

Through this middle door - Arrivals (Step 3)

Turn to the left - Now facing a souvenir shop (Step 4)

Turn to the right, walk through the Mariyaad Cafe - It's normally quite crowded. (Step 5)

For a quick finish to your Maldivian adventure, turn left - If you're doing a turnaround, you would turn left immediately after the Mariyaad Cafe.* (Step 6)

Now why would anyone want to do that?

Anyway, after finding the Embudu Village counter (where I would spend the one night I was here), I was ushered to the jetty area which is straight after the Mariyaad Cafe.

*For the sake of continuity, the rest of the MLE turnaround (post departure check-in) comes at the end of this report. Look out for Steps 1 to 10 for the complete guide.
    Last edited by Kyo; 19 December 2008, 01:13 AM.

The speedboat awaits! - This is the jetty at the end of the terminal

Eager to go - Anxious to get to the resort (since my body clock was running on Singapore time, the once-a-day SQ 10pm Maldivian arrival was actually 1AM SIN time), I quickly hopped on the boat after various other passengers got their luggage onboard.

Slowly idling the engine out of the jetty area - Once out in the open ocean, past the wave barriers and they really open up the engines!

Disembarking at the jetty to Embudu Village Resort - Walking to the reception. Due to the dim lighting conditions and bobbing of the boat, it was difficult to get a decent shot of the jetty from the boat

Plenty of fish attracted to the light - Even viewable in the night, the first glimpse of just how clear water in the Maldives is

Paradise Punch - Of some sort, yummy and orange-mangoey (complimentary on check-in)

Over-Water Bungalows - Inside

Jacuzzi bathtub - Does the job

Glass floor - Fish again attracted to the light through the floor, had to use the flash = glare

Lights Out - The capital of the Maldives, Male city gleaming softly in the distance (taken from the bed)

Tired out (close to 4AM SIN time), it was time to call it a day.

~End of Day 1~

Comment

Day 2 - M&M (Malé and More)

So as is customary, I woke up late. (This does tend to happen when I travel, I really don't know why)

Through my sleep-laden eyes, I peeked at the sunlight streaming in, stoopd up... and remembered the glass floor...

Sunlight glowing through the glass floor - the water casts a nice effect over the walls of the bungalow

Clear waters - Coral clearly viewable in the Embudu house reef taken from the balcony of the water bungalow

Paradise - A view that literally takes your breath away
      (that island in the background is the Taj Exotica Resort and Spa - review of that resort in a future TR)

Picture-perfect morning - The morning was enough to quickly make me forget about being tired/sleepy

Beautiful island - Going photo-crazy

Sand spit - This leads to the house reef, which juts out at least a mile into the Indian Ocean (only knee-deep)! That's a goalpost (only one), by the way.

From the sand split - Looking in

Blue skies - Misc 'dhoni' photos (around the spit). 'Dhoni' means Boat, passengers boarded this a few mins later to go to the airport, presumably

Local flora - An excuse for taking pictures

More flora - Another excuse

Stepping Stones - wonder where they lead to

Stepping Stones - Slippery! And not really leading anywhere either but still nice to see

Comment

On to the 'island-hopping'.

As part of the 1-day, 1-night package, I had booked an additional tour to visit the capital of the Maldives, Malé.

Embudu being of of the more affordable resorts, only charges USD25 for a 3-hour tour. In actual fact, it's probably doable in 1.5 hours (including boat transfers).

Off to the jetty - This time, you can actually see it!

Water Bungalows - Taken from the jetty just before departure

Frontal View of Embudu Village resort during the day - And we're off!

Friendly Fish - Not quite Nemo, but smiling nonetheless. Also the water is really clear (and blue)

Aqua and deep blue - Where the shallow meets the deep, waves breaking as far as the eye can see (tiny buildings are Taj Exotica water bungalows)

Juxtaposing the various shades cerulean, aqua and dark blue - It's other-worldly
        (Taj Exotica resort island)

Malé - First clear glimpse of Malé after 20 minute ride. (Seems to be Malé 'stadium' in the background)

Passing by a 'dhoni' coming from the airport - Malé town from the 'dhoni' in the background

Good ol' SQ Office - First prominent building from the pier!

The tour begins.

President's Office - First stop!

Muleeaage Palace - Residence of the first Western discoverer of the Maldives

Muleeaage tomb - They bury sultans/royalty in tombs intricately carved out of dried coral

Comment

Going down another street, we saw the President of the Maldives going home

Mercedes S-Class - What you get if you're the Maldivian president. It's the only one on the island.

We proceeded to enter Sultan's Park for some respite from the heat. Mmm... shady.

The Love Nest in Sultan Park - Has the oldest tree on the island, which I think is 167 years old (iirc). This is not the oldest tree. This is a huge tree with many symbiotic or parasitic plant species hanging off it, where its name is derived from

Grand Friday Mosque - *Bling Bling* 18 Karats

Loud and proud - Walking past the tallest flagpole in the Maldives. The outer red symbolises external evil forces. The inner green symbolises the Republic of the Maldives united together and the crescent symbolises Islam, the national religion

Biggest Fish Market - In the Maldives

Cactus fruit - They don't just sell fish

Swordfish just lazing around - On the street, a common sight

Shark skeletons - Nothing to declare, ey? Feel free to buy one, they cost a few hundred Benjamins...

Tour's over, back to the pier to get the ride back...

Our ride home - Crew was in no hurry to go, resting on the boat as it was Ramadan season and the temperature is cooling down in the evening, but it is still rather hot. Waited about 20 mins before they finally shoved off

We arrived back at the island just in time for some sunset shots.

Sunset - Last rays of sun on the spit

Indian Ocean sunset - Pink and glowing

The sun finally sets - Facing the other direction, the moon comes out under a lavender glow

Comment

Favourite shot - Dhonis gently bobbing in the last pink embers for the evening, taken from the resort bar

It's almost time to leave.

But there's always time for...

One last concoction - on the house!

I bade Embudu goodbye and hopped on the boat back to Hulhule.

Front deck of the speedboat - Solo

Got off the boat at the jetty, facing the terminal but I still had an hour to kill, and after checking the departure times, realised my flight back to SIN had been delayed 90 minutes.

So I decided to pay the Hulhule Airport Transit hotel a visit (also for jhm and phaleesy). Although now this TR might be a little late, maybe others will find it useful.

Hulhule Airport Transit Hotel - From the bus (it's only 300 metres down the road from the airport)

The local decor - How charming

Sri Lankan buffet - Available at the restaurant on the ground floor (keen to check it out myself, but wasn't hungry)

Swimming pool - Just outside, very nice, grooved out lounge and chillout music playing

Had a quick drink.

Then back to the airport to check-in!

MALDIVES AIRPORTS. Your Journey: Our Business - They've got the right idea

Finifenmaa Lounge - Invitation given by coupon

Flip it over - On the reverse

Once checked in, turn around, and to the left (Step 7)

Up the elevator (Step 8)

Pass immigration (Step 9)

And you'll see...

Comment

MLE terminal - Various touristy shops await, expect tourist prices too

Main seating area - Surrounded by aforementioned touristy shops

More shops - Took a look but nothing appealed

Postcards - And more

The big food court - Dishes did not look particularly appetising (stick to the offerings near the entrance, the food there looks more edible).

Down this staircase, the Departure lounge awaits... (Step 10)

Benches available - In front of the restaurant

The Finifenmaa Lounge
              - What secrets lie within?

Broad armchairs - Brown leather

Food selection - Everything seemed overly crispy/toasted. Very dry

Drinks selection - Also with instant noodles

Guestbook - Signed the guestbook, left a few msgs for future SQTalkers who pass through (as of last count, two remarks in there now)

Left the lounge and boarded.

Fell asleep - Seat was 12A (only two-classes operated SIN-MLE-SIN).

Arrived back at Changi at 8AM. Straight into the office at 9.

Hope you enjoyed this long-awaited TR (for some). And I hope this convinces those who have never been to the Maldives to give it a try. It's really worth going at least once in your life. Definitely one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. And I'll go back again, and again, and again - there's so many resorts to try!

~End of Day 2~

For those who asked me to post this earlier, really sorry to have kept you all waiting! I decided to opt for the "It's ready when it's ready" approach as I didn't want to leave avid TR consumers hungry for unfinished reports. I'm certainly not attempting any world records here. Hehe.
              Last edited by Kyo; 19 December 2008, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Nice

Keeps reminding me to keep my hands in the 10 to 2 position when driving, for some strange reason. I wonder why ?

Comment

great report mate! i so need to go to Male one day ....

haha and this is my 747th post! sorry to hijack your thread like this
                  Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Very nice, thanks, Kyo! I never realised the ocean is so clear and blue.

I wish I could be lucky enough to visit the Maldives one day.

My Sri Lankan flight (I can't afford SQ ) arrives around 1am so I will see whether I get picked up ... or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      After you land, you will immediately feel the soft, salty Maldivian night breeze.
                      Ahhhh....... this is my favourite bit when visiting the Maldives, breathing in that wonderful salty sea air relaxes me almost straightaway. That, and being able to see the little fishies swimming around the airport jetty. Great TR. Thanks!

Comment

You're right, Kyo, the place looks amazing. Great choice of pictures to snap (and post)!
                        For those who asked me to post this earlier, really sorry to have kept you all waiting! I decided to opt for the "It's ready when it's ready" approach as I didn't want to leave avid TR consumers hungry for unfinished reports. I'm certainly not attempting any world records here. Hehe.
                        Oh, go on, admit it: the more rabid TR readers on SQT frightened you.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Very nice, Kyo! Thanks!

Can't wait to go to the Maldives next year.

Comment

And I hope this convinces those who have never been to the Maldives to give it a try. It's really worth going at least once in your life. Definitely one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. And I'll go back again, and again, and again - there's so many resorts to try!
                            Yes, you convinced us...
                            But, unfortunately, it's not up in priority at the moment.
                            Perhaps some day in the future, if I can survive the old age.

No water sport for you? I thought one goes to Maldives for snorkling, scuba diving and honeymooning!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                              Yes, you convinced us...
                              But, unfortunately, it's not up in priority at the moment.
                              Perhaps some day in the future, if I can survive the old age.

No water sport for you? I thought one goes to Maldives for snorkling, scuba diving and honeymooning!
                              SQ LPP, you should go to the Maldives with friends! Why don't you join us in March?

Comment

Working...
                              X