PPS Value confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hjerapa View Post
    I totally agree. I still fly SQ only, but i find it annoying that they treat LPP better that TPP, even though I have $345k of reserve value.

I seen it many many times the crew will serve the LPP first, and say, oh he's a life member etc etc. Totally forgetting that they could have flown must less than me in the past few years...
    That's an awful lot of reserve value.

If the crew do treat LPP better than TPP then they shouldn't because I can assure you that the SQ 'rating' for upgrades etc (on the rare occasions hell has actually frozen over) puts current TPP and LPP on exactly the same level. As far as SQ are concerned current TPP is just as valuable as LPP. This does actually make sense because as you say there are LPP's that will hardly be flying nowadays yet others are still spending a lot of money with them, so the TPP is more valuable to SQ now then the LPP.

This does all bring it back to the issue with dropping LPP though as it has now encouraged people to start flying with others when they have re-qualified, which is the opposite of what they want. But with the issue as outlined above is explains an argument for dropping it s well.

Comment

Reserve Value was introduced for TPP because under the new rules, the TPP would need to go for 5 years and 250K PPS Value again once dropped.

The rule for TPP never made sense to begin with: why would QPP and TPP only need the same amount to requalify? A TPP could stay TPP for ten years while I am spending the very same amount and be only QPP.

Why they introduced PPS Value to QPP is a total mystery to me. Maybe to put some lipstick on the pig instead of rethinking the whole model.

To me, they should simplify the rule: 25K in one year gets you QPP and 50K in one year gets you TPP. Once you cross 1000K, you become LPP. No more reserve value, no more difficult rules.

Having said that, it's hard to believe that LPP are treated better than TPP. I hardly see any difference from the ordinary pax to QPP. The delta in treatment to TPP would be very marginal and then to LPP cannot be measured.

The only time where status matters is on flights (e.g. India) where SQ loads only one (!) specialty meal for First - that's where I always lost out as QPP and the TPP got the meal.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        That's an awful lot of reserve value.

If the crew do treat LPP better than TPP then they shouldn't because I can assure you that the SQ 'rating' for upgrades etc (on the rare occasions hell has actually frozen over) puts current TPP and LPP on exactly the same level. As far as SQ are concerned current TPP is just as valuable as LPP. This does actually make sense because as you say there are LPP's that will hardly be flying nowadays yet others are still spending a lot of money with them, so the TPP is more valuable to SQ now then the LPP.

This does all bring it back to the issue with dropping LPP though as it has now encouraged people to start flying with others when they have re-qualified, which is the opposite of what they want. But with the issue as outlined above is explains an argument for dropping it s well.

That's what I thought too, but i honestly got a shock when I heard the crew fawn over Mr LPP and kept repeating oh the "Life" wants this the "Life" wants that, and I could barely get their attention. I understand it was almost full in F class, but I paid for a seat too.... I guess some of the crew still believe LPP is above TPP and it doesn't cascade through the whole system... I hope they do more than just keep it in reserve. I find it useless for me, because the reserve doesn't roll over for 10 years, and they enhance it somehow...

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
          Reserve Value was introduced for TPP because under the new rules, the TPP would need to go for 5 years and 250K PPS Value again once dropped.

The rule for TPP never made sense to begin with: why would QPP and TPP only need the same amount to requalify? A TPP could stay TPP for ten years while I am spending the very same amount and be only QPP.

Why they introduced PPS Value to QPP is a total mystery to me. Maybe to put some lipstick on the pig instead of rethinking the whole model.

To me, they should simplify the rule: 25K in one year gets you QPP and 50K in one year gets you TPP. Once you cross 1000K, you become LPP. No more reserve value, no more difficult rules.

Having said that, it's hard to believe that LPP are treated better than TPP. I hardly see any difference from the ordinary pax to QPP. The delta in treatment to TPP would be very marginal and then to LPP cannot be measured.

The only time where status matters is on flights (e.g. India) where SQ loads only one (!) specialty meal for First - that's where I always lost out as QPP and the TPP got the meal.

I guess when its almost full or full in F and they need to choose who to attend to first, if there are a few TPP and one LPP, they go straight to the LPP and give the LPP all the premium treatment and the rest of the TPP or regular, like you said, are almost the same. The problem comes when there are meals catered and if the LPP who may not fly as much, gets to choose first, whereas a TPP could be a much better customer is way below. I prefer to sit in Row 2 due to the bed mode being wider, so the LPP was in 1C/1D, and there was TPP in 1A and 2C/D, so by the time they got to me at 2F, i got a "oh sorry, there isn't this available...how about this instead...." I was like huh.....???? but I just ate whatever else and always have BTC from then on...

I understand there are alot of TPP/LPP in F, but shouldn't they then differentiate based on PPSV or something since they got all the iPads with info now....I guess to me they have not done anything for their super frequent flyers, whereas I have heard, even United has a special tier for their top bunch of flyers, above premier 1K....this guy I met travels 3 trips from US to Asia every month and United rolls out the red carpet for him, and he says no matter how bad the service is, he won't switch to SQ or Cathay because their FFP is that good for people like him...SQ seems to only treat people better when they complain, whereas I do want to write a complaint over varying TPP/LPP treatment and get the crew in trouble...

Comment

I still don't get what 'premium' treatment you are referring to:

In my experience, they serve in the same order (row by row) and not by status. Usually, they ask everyone in F about their first choice and try to sort out behind the scenes before coming back.

Most crew have been very accommodating with my QPP requests (sleep immediately, last minute breakfast) so I don't know how that could be be better as TPP. As you are already there, you should be very happy

Comment

I really think "treatment" is crew dependent and the examples below are in Y:

I've been on flights where as a QPP I get acknowledged and introduced to the LSS/CSS.

I've been on flights where I'm a nobody whereas the TPP/LPP (can't tell which but assuming at least TPP based on the big crumpled Solitaire bag tag) gets acknowledged, introduced and a bottle of water.

I've also been on flights where everybody is treated as a nobody

A good flight for me is getting to my destination alive, relatively on time and with nothing missing or spilt on me

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                I still don't get what 'premium' treatment you are referring to:

In my experience, they serve in the same order (row by row) and not by status. Usually, they ask everyone in F about their first choice and try to sort out behind the scenes before coming back.

Most crew have been very accommodating with my QPP requests (sleep immediately, last minute breakfast) so I don't know how that could be be better as TPP. As you are already there, you should be very happy
                Oh yes usually i am pretty happy, where they come and ask for what I want to eat in advance. Just that i had the experience where the cabin is full and there was LPP and TPP and partners in row 1, and everyone felt like eating the same thing i guess and just unfortunately i had to choose from the other two choices I don't like. I guess after always being accommodated, I was rather surprised I had to choose from meals that I didn't want, because the people in front of me had chosen the same thing and they don't have enough that's all. So I now BTC so that no one is unhappy

Comment

Working...
                X