No announcement yet.

PPS Value confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPS value accrued more than price paid for ticket?

I recently flew in J, and the PPS value for all the sectors I flew just finished processing. It summed up to an amount significantly greater than the price I paid for my ticket.

Is this normal?

I'm not really complaining; I'm not sure it really materially affects me in any meaningful way. I wasn't going to qualify for QPP this year, and even this extra boost, while quite significant, probably isn't going to push me over the bar. I'm just curious about how PPS value is calculated such that something like this happened.
    Last edited by chisquared; 15 December 2014, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Check down a few threads:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14442

Where I mentioned looking here too:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109

Cleanup in Aisle 3!
      HUGE AL

Comment

Right. I'd seen the first thread you link to, but I guess I missed your post in it linking to the second thread. Thanks!

Comment

I have long since given up trying to work out how they calculate PPSV's. Judging by what values I get so have SQ as well....

Comment

There's a much easier way to do this: bring back sector/mileage thresholds. Set higher hurdles if previous levels were deemed to "easy"...

Comment

PPS Value Crediting Anomaly

I never realised this until very recently and was shocked at how incompetent the system was. Basically, check your PPS Value crediting yourself as there's a good chance that you've been shortchanged. Here's the reply from Singapore Airlines on this matter:

"I understand your concerns, and I wish to add that incidents of the automatic crediting are normally only for flights departing from the United States. Additionally, the default value will be credited at the 70th percentile of all Business Class fares collected for the flight, so that the value is equal or higher than the actual fare paid, to reduce incidences of our passengers being short-changed by the automatic crediting.

On the rare occasion that the default value is lower than the actual value, it remains for the time being that KrisFlyer Membership Services will have to be contacted to reverse the automatic crediting. I am sorry for the inconvenience, Mr XXX, and I hope that you would bear with us in the meantime as the system is being reviewed."

So it's our job as a Singapore Airlines customer to help them do their audits

Comment

Essentially they're admitting PPSV wasn't thought out well enough and they've had to make general assumptions, which HAVE to, by their own admission, err on the side of caution in order to not have raging hordes of people banging down their door. On the rare occasion that the buffer amount still fails to take into account your fare paid, please call us up where we can do some mumbo jumbo to make it right.

smooth

Comment

The variance has been going on since the beginning:

HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    The variance has been going on since the beginning:

Hmm, so we've been screwed a long time and I'd never realised it until a recent flight whereby the difference between the booking value and PPS Value was more than $1k!

Comment

PPS Value

Hi all,

From various post is seems to confirm that, (most of the time) the PPS value is calculated base on base fare (SGD)

Does anyone has experience booking ticket from Europe back SG?
                      I just realised something special (I know flight ticket are price not because of distance flown, but still surprise)

1 Feb 2016, one way,
                      FRA-SIN - Euro4.5k
                      MAD-FRA-SIN - Euro1.8k (note that MAD-FRA is by code share)

So that means, if you want to accumulate more PPS value, you should fly from FRA but not MAD?

Comment

Originally posted by Shen View Post
                        So that means, if you want to accumulate more PPS value, you should fly from FRA but not MAD?
                        Along with Roswell and Bigfoot, PPSV is one of the greatest mysteries to mankind. In your example, it's very likely that you COULD get more PPSV from MAD than the more expensive ticket ex-FRA.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

PPSV (the value itself, not the programme) has never made sense since they started it. I have had some frankly bizarre PPSV's over the years, especially on RTW tickets as tfung says on the first post of this thread and also on one way tickets. I haven't flown a CRTWSTAR or FRTWSTAR ticket for a while now so no idea if it is still the same but some of the values on one way tickets are strange.

On this subject I have to say that while I can see why they went down the value route rather than PPS sectors, and indeed others are now following suit, I don't think they fully considered the implications of dropping LPP and then introducing PPSV Reserve. I was speaking to a fellow TPP SQTalker in Singapore last week who has got over 6 years worth of PPSV Reserve. As a result he has been flying CX, JL etc and keeping top tier status in OW as well. I do exactly the same but we both agreed in they still had LPP we'd be flying SQ more instead.
                          Last edited by MAN Flyer; 17 December 2015, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            PPSV (the value itself, not the programme) has never made sense since they started it. I have had some frankly bizarre PPSV's over the years, especially on RTW tickets as tfung says on the first post of this thread and also on one way tickets. I haven't flown a CRTWSTAR or FRTWSTAR ticket for a while now so no idea if it is still the same but some of the values on one way tickets are strange.

On this subject I have to say that while I can see why they went down the value route rather than PPS sectors, and indeed others are now following suit, I don't think they fully considered the implications of dropping LPP and then introducing PPSV Reserve. I was speaking to a fellow TPP SQTalker in Singapore last week who has got over 6 years worth of PPSV Reserve. As a result he has been flying CX, JL etc and keeping top tier status in OW as well. I do exactly the same but we both agreed in they still had LPP we'd be flying SQ more instead.
                            Wow, thanks for insight, but.. is there a place to get the acronym? I have no idea most of the short form you use..

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              I was speaking to a fellow TPP SQTalker in Singapore last week who has got over 6 years worth of PPSV Reserve.
                              Hmmm…I wonder who that could be...

Originally posted by Shen View Post
                              Wow, thanks for insight, but.. is there a place to get the acronym? I have no idea most of the short form you use..
                              http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1032

This might be helpful as well:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7237
                              HUGE AL

Comment

On this subject I have to say that while I can see why they went down the value route rather than PPS sectors, and indeed others are now following suit, I don't think they fully considered the implications of dropping LPP and then introducing PPSV Reserve. I was speaking to a fellow TPP SQTalker in Singapore last week who has got over 6 years worth of PPSV Reserve. As a result he has been flying CX, JL etc and keeping top tier status in OW as well. I do exactly the same but we both agreed in they still had LPP we'd be flying SQ more instead.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I still fly SQ only, but i find it annoying that they treat LPP better that TPP, even though I have $345k of reserve value.

I seen it many many times the crew will serve the LPP first, and say, oh he's a life member etc etc. Totally forgetting that they could have flown must less than me in the past few years...

Comment

Working...
                                X