No announcement yet.

Die, die, must try! -- Eating outside Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The duck meat texture/quality was better at Gold Mine - very juicy and succulent. The one at Four Seasons was a little tired - the skin/fat was a bit chewy and overall not in its best condition. However, the soy sauce at Four Seasons was better.
    Stargold ... those pictures! You've just activated my drool machine ... big time !

I miss Gold Mine and their yummy (comlimentary, may i add? ) soup !
    www.milehiclub.sg

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      IIRC you can also purchase a USD$50 or USD$100 Gift Certificate from their website and use it to pay for your meal and, thus, gain those precious points/miles.
      Thanks for letting us know. HUGE AL is such a clever one.

I've lost so many BD miles and some of the US residents lost out on their SPG points. ONe of them paid with coins from the US mint on one occasion, something to do with gaining points when she exchanges coins from the mint, bank, whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
        ONe of them paid with coins from the US mint on one occasion, something to do with gaining points when she exchanges coins from the mint, bank, whatever.
        Some people have got thousands or tens of thousands of miles by doing this.

Buy coins from the US mint for delivery postage free. Deposit the coins in the bank. Use the money in the bank to pay for the coins from the US mint. Repeat and repeat. No cost to you other than driving to the bank!

Comment

• Shake Shack NYC

I go to Shake Shack Madison Sq Park whenever I'm in NYC. It was a recommendation from a friend of Taipeiflyer. Great burgers. Possibly the best I've eaten. Succulent juicy meat, sweet buns, nice cheese. Any idea what makes this combination so good?

I usually have the root beer float. On this trip, I decided to try the Purple Cow. Tastes like bubble gum to me!

The Madison Sq Park branch has no indoor sitting area. Only desperate and very hungry souls would brave the elements to eat here on a cold and wet wintry morning.

I kinda like it when it's cold. I hate the queues in summer. I just wish it was not so wet.

Creatures big and small...No difference lah! They're all so hungry…

The little one's ears are wet!
          Last edited by phaleesy; 13 December 2009, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• My first time trying a Shake Shack burger (which I understand is a mixture of brisket and sirloin) and the burger was well worth braving the elements for. The hot juices really do flow out when you have the meat in your mouth!

Comment

• Peter Lugers NYC - Brooklyn

Peter Lugers Brooklyn branch is located just beside the Williamsburg bridge. Nearest subway station is Marcy Avenue.

Bread
              We like the onion bread. I tend to eat very little bread. I want to keep my tummy empty for the meat. I also tend to stay clear of carbs.

Starters

Thick-cut bacon
              Thick and nice. But a bit charred sometimes. Cannot eat the charred bits since that's carcinogenic.

Prawns
              Fresh, juicy, fat and succulent.

Sides
              Tomatoes
              Nice clean taste. We always order this to complement the meat.

The main event
              I come to NYC just for this!

I like my meat rare.

Evidence of our gluttony
              First sitting

Second sitting

If I was at home, I'd pick up the bones with my fingers and gnaw everything through. At the restaurant, I use cutlery. Depending on who I dine with, sometimes someone might help me get the meat off the bones.

Special sauce

We use this with everything! Since I eat steak in the UK nearly everyday, I decided to buy some sauce home this time.

How I refrigerated the bottles in the hotel room
              http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...89&postcount=4

Dessert
              Key lime tart

and sin...

I had a little bit of sin and left most of it untouched.

Comment

• Applewood Brooklyn

Applewood is located at 501 11th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues in
                Park Slope Brooklyn, the closest subway stop is the 7th Avenue stop on the
                F train.

Brunch - 10am to 3pm
                Only hormone- and antibiotic-free meats and poultry used.

No reservations taken. Just turn up and wait. So we waited at the bar counter.

Organic sour milk pancakes and honey maple syrup. Fennel-pork sausage on the side. Now we know sausages come in all shapes and sizes!

Crispy braised vermont pork belly omelette, charred brussels sprouts, pickled sweet potato. Applewood smoked bacon, grits and biscuit on the side.

Three organic eggs, with biscuit and grits on the side.

The cowboys in my romance books are always eating grits. I finally know how grits should taste like. Rather starchy and heavy. Nice and comforting but not something that I would eat too much of.
                I always think of biscuits as cookies. No wonder HUGE AL and another American friend were slightly confused when I told them that I wanted to eat chocolate biscuits several months ago. They call biscuits cookies in America. Biscuits are these things on the plate now. Just like scones in the UK.

Sauces - ketchup, cream?, jam. Used the latter two for my pancakes and biscuit.

Food was excellent. I ate so much that my stockings which were a perfect fit just the week before got too tight and started slipping… so I spent the whole afternoon/evening pulling up my dress and adjusting the uncooperative stockings (in dark corners and behind the bushes). By 6pm, I gave up and pulled them off.

Comment

• Gotham Bar and Grill - NYC

Gotham Bar & Grill is a few streets away from Union Square and made famous by Alfred Portale, one of the chefs on SQ's International Culinary Panel.

Chef's Tasting Menu

Champagne Oyster Bisque
                  Leek custard, safran épice, caviar and oyster croustillant

Knoll Crest Farm Egg "Cocotte"
                  Périgord truffle, cipollini onion, broccoli and pumpernickel crouton

Roasted Maine Diver Scallop
                  Brandade de morue, Burgundy snails and escargot butter

Comment

• Butter Poached Lobster
                    Artichoke barigoule, smoked bacon, Meyer lemon and sauce Américaine

Roasted Squab and Foie Gras Rossini
                    Jerusalem artichoke purée, Swiss chard and sauce Salmis

Époisse
                    Prune Armagnac and cocoa nibs

Rome Apple and Black Truffle Tart Tatin
                    Vanilla yoghurt ice cream and sauce caramel

I thought the food was great (the egg and truffle dish was to die for!) but I understand someone HUGE can make it all (better) himself! When do I get an invite to his kitchenette equipped suite ?

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                      I always think of biscuits as cookies. No wonder HUGE AL and another American friend were slightly confused when I told them that I wanted to eat chocolate biscuits several months ago. They call biscuits cookies in America. Biscuits are these things on the plate now. Just like scones in the UK.
                      They say that in a hundred years, English and Americans will not be able to understand each other.

Even now I use the English subtitles watching US movies and TV.

Who names their kid Randy?

But thanks for a truly useful in NYC eats.

I'll be trying your list next June, jhm and phaleesy.
                      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 14 December 2009, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• Everything looks good jhm & phaleesy... hopefully I'll get to try them on my next visit (whenever that may be).

Comment

• Looks fab, jhm and phaleesy! Gotham is now next on my list of places to try in NYC!

phaleesy - I am glad you have now found time to write up these wonderful reviews, as it is apparent you have a knack for it. Keep it up please!
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                            They say that in a hundred years, English and Americans will not be able to understand each other.
                            Very much doubt that. You might be surprised by the penetration of American phrases among teenagers and business folk on this side of the Atlantic. I think as long as Hollywood exports films and TV shows and US corporations have clout, American English will be understood by the English.

Nice pics, phaleesy and jhm. I miss the NYC restaurant scene.
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Some recent places which I like:

Xi Yan Private Dining - a so called "private kitchen" restaurant by HK celebrity chef, Jacky Yu (who was there cooking on the night I went). I ate at the original/flagship restaurant in Wanchai (located in an anonymous office block). He also has some other places in HK and an establishment in Singapore. It's relatively inexpensive at only about US$60 each and you don't have any choice about the menu but for that, we had a very tasty dozen courses. The food was wow! Some pictures (not mine) here. Unlike Bo Innovation (2 Michelin stars; run by the so called "Demon Chef", Alvin Leung; an Asian version of El Bulli/the Fat Duck) which cost several times more and which I'm in no hurry at all to go again, I wouldn't think twice about eating at Xi Yan again. Highly recommended.

For sushi in HK, I tried Sushi U in LKF for lunch by myself and it was good. Not up to standards in Japan but much better than what I can get in the UK. I sat at the sushi bar, had omakase and let the chef take care of me (very well). They have a large selection of sake and sake sommeliers to help you choose.

As far as sushi in London goes, it's disappointing (although I haven't tried glitzy places like Roka, Zuma and Umu) and HK is better let alone Japan. I have tried places like Sushi Hiro in Ealing (weird opening hours; cash only; difficult to get to but widely acclaimed), Sushi Say in Willesden Green, Cafe Japan in Finchley, Dinings in Marylebone (modern/fusion sushi - the chef is ex-Nobu but it's not really to my taste), Matsuri etc. My personal favourites are:

* the sushi bar at Mitsukoshi off Piccadilly Circus - it's a branch of the Japanese department of course. About a dozen seats at the sushi bar and (currently) just one sushi chef who's worked there for many years. Traditional and good quality sushi (for London) at fairly reasonable prices.

* last night's discovery - Sushi of Shiori near Euston/Warren Street. A tiny sushi bar in a street of Indian restaurants - 3 seats at the bar and 6 seats facing the window. Run by a husband and wife team. Very friendly service. The sushi is not too different from traditional but beautifully presented and with some small twists, e.g. a slice of truffle on the scallop sushi or a dab of plum sauce on others. I had the chestnut ice cream which was very more'ish! I intend to go back.
                              Last edited by jhm; 17 January 2010, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                                Some recent places which I like:

Xi Yan Private Dining - a so called "private kitchen" restaurant by HK celebrity chef, Jacky Yu (who was there cooking on the night I went). I ate at the original/flagship restaurant in Wanchai (located in an anonymous office block). He also has some other places in HK and an establishment in Singapore. It's relatively inexpensive at only about US$60 each and you don't have any choice about the menu but for that, we had a very tasty dozen courses. The food was wow! Some pictures (not mine) here. Unlike Bo Innovation (2 Michelin stars; run by the so called "Demon Chef", Alvin Leung; an Asian version of El Bulli/the Fat Duck) which cost several times more and which I'm in no hurry at all to go again, I wouldn't think twice about eating at Xi Yan again. Highly recommended.

For sushi in HK, I tried Sushi U in LKF for lunch by myself and it was good. Not up to standards in Japan but much better than what I can get in the UK. I sat at the sushi bar, had omakase and let the chef take care of me (very well). They have a large selection of sake and sake sommeliers to help you choose.
                                Thanks! Will try them in March.

W Hong Kong still has stay 2 nights 3rd night free offer.

Plus 3x starpoints now... I think! ( I'm very bad at deciphering the T&C)

As far as sushi in London goes, it's disappointing..
                                One of the problems of having eaten the real thing in Japan I find!

Anywhere else has been anti climatic...

Comment

Working...
                                X